Premier League Players I Just Like XI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premier League Players I Just Like XI

There are some footballers whose participation in a game piques my interest and helps persuade me to watch it for reasons I can't always put my finger on.

There's at least an element of finding their play exciting, pleasing or entertaining at times but with some of them I think I've taken to them for more undefinable reasons: a haircut, their mannerisms or maybe the fact that they don't really look like generic footballers.

I've composed a Premier League team of them and added a benchful of subs too. I've excluded players I like due to my international loyalties or because they used to play for a club I follow(ed) so no Welshmen or, for instance, Tom Heaton or Aaron Ramsdale in goal.

It's probably significant that not many of them play for "big clubs", maybe because it's harder to take to players turning out for those sides or maybe because I find better players have less character (or are less appealing characters) though Cristiano Ronaldo would have been right in any such team in his time in England.

GK Forster (Soton)

RB Elmohandy (Aston Villa)
    CB Mina (Everton)
    CB Sakho (Crystal Palace)
    LB Burn (Brighton & Hove Albion)

DM McGinn (Aston Villa)
    DM Moutinho (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
    AM Grealish (Aston Villa)

FW Traore (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
    FW Antonio (West Ham)
    FW Zaha (Crystal Palace)

Substitutes

Schmeichel (Leicester City)
    Mings (Aston Villa)
    Bertrand (Soton)
    Cork (Burnley)
    Redmond (Soton)
    Giroud (Chelsea)
    Rashford (Manchester United)

Even now, I look at Forster and Cork on that list and think "Why? Why do you like them?!".

I think there's a good attacking side there though I'm concerned we're a bit lightweight through the middle and susceptible in central defence (Sakho doesn't play much at the moment does he? He might be rusty and is erratic even at the best of times) but I'd enjoy watching them play.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-02-2021, 19:02.

I'm going to ignore Ray's exclusions for my list. Salop and Wales links ahoy!

GK: Hart (Spurs)

Defence
    Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
    Godfrey (Everton)
    Dunk (Brighton)
    Davies (Spurs)

Midfield
    Grealish (Villa)
    De Bruyne (Man City)
    Rodriguez (Everton)

Forwards
    Sterling (Man City)
    Rashford (Man Utd)
    Zaha (Palace)

The bench
    Schmeichel (Leicester)
    Justin (Leicester)
    Soyuncu (Leicester)
    Son (Spurs)
    Bale (Spurs)
    Raphinha (Leeds)
    ​​​​​​​Sigurdsson (Everton)

Comment

Blimey, that was quick. I'm suspicious you already had a squad in your head just waiting for an excuse to deploy it.

I can't approve of your obvious loyalty picks and am sad to see Bale only makes the bench for you too. How the mighty...etc.

Comment

I'll have to look at the squads to trigger some ideas, but if I leave out Liverpool players then I'd be surprised if I can find eleven players I actually like - and they certainly wouldn't be playing in their natural positions.

Comment

I certainly think it's likely to be a more fruitful exercise for people who don't support PL sides.

Comment

Anyone who puts Grealish in the “likeable” category is either a Villa fan or hasn’t watched him in the flesh. He can be a real little brat at times.

Comment

This idea of liking a player for no apparent reason has lead me to really enjoy Ollie Watkins’s rise at Villa. Something about him I like a lot but I can’t define it. He always looks like he’s really giving it a go, which I admire in a player, so maybe that’s part of it.

I’d definitely have Darlow from Newcastle in goal: every time I see him he looks impressive but rarely gets talked about.

I’d struggle to get eleven, though. I like a lot of players but it’s down to the kind of rational reasons that don’t apply here.

Comment

Can't think why anyone would like Forster, unless you're a fan of seeing shovel-handed lummoxes easily beaten at their near post on a consistent basis.

Comment

I've followed Ray's lead, and so no Welshmen for me, and no players who've featured for Doncaster (small pool, but means no Billy Sharp or Sam Johnstone who'd otherwise be in), or were born in Doncaster (no Mason Holgate). As that's largely all I watch out for on Match of the Day, and I don't watch live Premier League games this has proved a bit of a challenge, but here we go...

GK: Schmeichel (Leicester)

RB: Lamptey (Brighton)
                  CB: Mee (Burnley)
                  CB: Mings (Aston Villa)
                  LB: Tierney (Arsenal)

WM: Redmond (Southampton)
                  CM: Tielemans (Leicester)
                  CM: Mata (Manchester United)
                  WM: Saint-Maximin (Newcastle)

FW: Antonio (West Ham)
                  FW: Rashford (Manchester United)

Bench

Henderson (Manchester United)
                  Kilman (Wolves)
                  Sigurdsson (Everton)
                  Iwobi (Everton)
                  Shaqiri (Liverpool)
                  Jahanbakhsh (Brighton)
                  Albrighton (Leicester)

Conclusion; likeable defenders are hard to find, Lamptey is only in here because he's entertainingly small, Kilman because he plays Futsal which I find fascinating. My midfield has absolutely no resolve whatsoever, but I've sacrificed that for what I term "chaotic good" when going forward. I'm here for entertainment not points.

Like Ray I have players who I like and have no idea why I like them... particularly Iwobi (might be off the strength of that Nike London advert), and Jahanbakhsh (impeccable hair / once scored a bicycle kick)

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    Blimey, that was quick. I'm suspicious you already had a squad in your head just waiting for an excuse to deploy it.
                    No I didn't have a list in my head. It was a fun exercise, like one of those related words exercise. Who came to mind? I picked Lewis Dunk because his name is amusing for example.

Thinking about it a bit more there are some other players I like who missed out. Obviously there's another Salop connection with Henderson (Man Utd) and I enjoy watching James Maddison as well.

I can't approve of your obvious loyalty picks and am sad to see Bale only makes the bench for you too. How the mighty...etc.
                    Tbh, the spot on the bench is sentimental. If he manages to get back his once epic form I would be more interested.

Snake Plissken - I enjoy watching Grealish play despite him sometimes being obnoxious. He seems to have reined that in a bit recently. Plus his hair made him look like a macaroni penguin last season.

Comment

I've largely based my selection on players who've been a delight to watch play against my lot whether we won or lost Funnily enough I haven't seen Son do much at t'Turf but he's in because he's just a lovely player to watch overall.

And I've cheated Townsend's position to fit De Bruyne in the starting lineup as the "no former players" rule did for Danny Ings up front.

GK: Lukasz Fabianski (West Ham)

LB: Aaron Cresswell (West Ham)
                      CM: Virgil Van Dijk (Liverpool)
                      CM: Wilfrid Boly (Wolves)
                      RB: Hector Bellerin (Arsenal)

WM: John McGinn (Villa)
                      CM: N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)
                      CM: Juan Mata (Man Utd)
                      CM: N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)
                      WM: Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)

FW: Son Heung-Min (Spurs)
                      FW: Andros Townsend (Palace)

Bench

Rashford (Man Utd)
                      Eze (Palace)
                      Redmond (Southampton)
                      Salah (Liverpool)

Comment

I know it feels like there are two of him on the pitch, and he certainly is likeable enough for two but I don't think there are two N'Golo Kante's

Comment

4-5-2 is also an interesting formation Snake, normally the referee would be the 12th, no?

Comment

Some jokes land on stony ground around here...

Comment

I'll play too.

GK Schmeichel (Leicester)

RB Bellerin (Arsenal)
                              CB van Dijk (Liverpool)
                              CB Coady (Wolves)
                              LB Robertson (Liverpool)

RM Townsend (Palace)
                              CM McGinn (Villa)
                              CM Noble (West Ham)
                              LM De Bruyne (Man C)

F Son (Spurs)
                              F Rashford (Man U)

Subs: Dubravka (Newcastle), Doherty (Spurs), Azpilicueta (Chelsea), McArthur, Zaha (both Palace), Gayle (Newcastle), Antonio (West Ham)

Comment

So, since Kompany retired, I don't think there is a single defender outside of Liverpool or ex-Liverpool players who I can say I like or whose presence I would enjoy (maybe David Luiz if he has one of his slapstick games).

So, a rather unbalanced XI with some square pegs in round holes.

GK: Martinez (Villa)

D: Romeu (Southampton)
                                D: Neves (Wolves)
                                D: Tielemans (Leicester)

M: Harrison (Leeds)
                                M: Maddison (Leicester)
                                M: Eze (Palace)
                                M: Benrahma (WHU)
                                M: Grealish (Villa)

F: Sharp (Sheff U)
                                F: Watkins (Villa)

Comment

Partly a mix of players that either do great things off the pitch or believe in worthy causes (Bellerin, Rashford, Mata), those I find hilarious (Luiz, Carroll), and those that have come back from hardships (including being treated like shit by tabloids). Then there are others i'm struggling to think of a reason for inclusion and just want to make up the numbers.

Ryan (Brighton, on loan at Arsenal)

Bellerin (Arsenal)
                                  Cahill (Palace)
                                  Dunk (Brighton)
                                  Coady (Wolves)

Mata (Man Utd)
                                  McGinn (Villa)
                                  Bowen (West Ham)

Rashford (Man Utd)
                                  Sterling (Sheff Utd)
                                  Ings (Soton)

Subs: Henderson (Man United); Luiz (Arsenal); Sharp (Sheff Utd); Caroll (Newcastle); Jimenez (Wolves); Barnes (Leicester)

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                    D: Romeu (Southampton)
                                    D: Neves (Wolves)
                                    D: Tielemans (Leicester)
                                    Three central midfielders as centre backs? I mean, that's VERY Liverpool right now.

OK, my turn and trying to pick no-one who's already been mentioned (I do love me a challenge occasionally) and avoiding biases of allegiance:

GK - Areola (Fulham) - it's the bit around a nipple and I am four years old.

RB - James (Chelsea)
                                    CB - Bailly (Man Utd) - I can't believe anyone who has picked David Luiz for comedy value has not considered the Ivorian for the same (but different) reasons.
                                    CB - White (Brighton)
                                    LB - Reguilon (Spurs)

CM - Soucek (West Ham) - he's the new Fellaini we didn't know we needed, but better.
                                    CM - Mount (Chelsea) - just seems to be an easy target, I just feel a little sorry for him. It's not his fault he's not Grealish, Foden or Maddison and he's obviously a very good player in his own right.
                                    CM - Bissouma (Brighton)

RW - Ziyech (Chelsea)
                                    CF - Kane (Spurs) - he's just really good, isn't he? And he seems like a good egg.
                                    LW - Saka (Arsenal)

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of names already that I'm going to put in my list. I have no restrictions, though I'm trying to pick 1 player I really like/rate/forgive from each team (mostly without reservation?).

GK: Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester) (er... painted myself into a corner here already, as I started at the bottom with Wolves and never found a keeper)

DF: Ezgjan Alioski (Leeds)- I man, maybe? I find a lot of the Leeds players hard to like at the moment. I'm sure it's just me, but he seems solid and he's Macedonian, which is kind of cool.
                                      DF: Lucas Digne (Everton)- solid, mostly effective?
                                      DF: Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa)- as above

MF: Youri Tielemans (Leicester)- easily one of my favorite players at the moment, the handsome so-and-so
                                      MF: Joao Moutinho (Wolverhampton)- always been brilliant, though playing every week is obviously past him
                                      MF: Tomas Soucek (West Ham)- surprise of the season
                                      MF: Nathan Redmond (Southampton)- good ol reliable (why not, what's illegal about a 3-5-3?)
                                      MF: N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)- Can I have all 10 outfield players like him?

FW: Son Heung-min (Tottenham)- hardworking, brilliant often, and for quite a few years
                                      FW: Marcus Rashford (Mancester United)- He's great. Good footballer too.
                                      FW: Sadio Mane (Liverpool)- A team with Son and Mane? yes please....

Subs: Semi Ajayi (WBA) , John Fleck (Sheffield United) , Callum Wilson (Newcastle United), Bernardo Silva (Machester City) , Bobby Decordova-Reid (Fulham) James Tarkowski (Burnley), Leandro Trossard (Brighton), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace), Nathan Redmond (Southampton, again),

I'm extremely light on defense, but hopefully we dominate possessions and defend from the front with high tempo pressing. I mean, I should have probably gotten some more wide players too, but oh well.

(I could probably make a case for McGinn and Ward-Prowse most weeks. De Bruyne and Henderson. Van Dijk and Ivanovic. I guess I'm not super picky.)
                                      Last edited by matt j; 09-02-2021, 17:21.

Comment

Cue a chant of "There's only two Nathan Redmonds"

Comment

I'm not getting the Kante/Redmond duplication gags?

Interesting to see a few players names crop up in a lot of squads, I may do a final chart of the most popular.

Comment

No gag from me, I'm just an idiot who picked 11 outfield players and no keeper on first go.

Comment

Martinez (Villa) I like it whenit obviously quality player leaves because he isn't being played and proves them wrong.

Doherty (Spurs) only ex Bohemian player in the premier league, and his sell on clause from Wolves earned us an extra 2 million euros.

Mee ( Burnley) always looks like he gives it all.

Mina (Everton) same as above.

Van aanholt ( Palace) Katie Hopkins hates him, that's enough.

Mata ( Manchester United) a long time favourite, and a good guy as well

Romeo ( Southampton) looks like a Spanish friend of mine, good player as well.

Tielemans and Albrighton ( Leicester) Tielemans is quality, Albrighton is decent as well, I like the fact he's held on to his place in the Leicester team for so long, he's one of those players you expect to give way to a fancy Dan foreigner, but it never happens.

Son ( Spurs) just an exciting player, and Rashford ( Manchester United) for obvious reasons on and off the pitch.

Comment

My XI

GK Fabianski (West Ham)

DF Tierney (Arsenal) seems a sound lad, trains in T shirt and shorts while the others have their coats, hats and scarves on
                                                DF Luiz (Arsenal) He's a bit like me, some days he's good at his job, some days excellent, but every now and again...
                                                DF Dunk (Brighton) seems a decent sort, silly name

MF Longstaff (Newcastle) either of the little scamps, not bothered which. Medium level silly name.
                                                MF Sawyers (West Brom) he's a 400-game veteran on the footy sim I play on my tablet, always gives 100% and scores some great goals. I presume he's the same IRL.
                                                MF Klich (Leeds) Polish, silly name
                                                MF Koch (Leeds) The Klich/Koch combination will keep me amused for hours

CF Sharp (Sheffield United) obvs
                                                CF Rodriguez (Burnley) I just like him
                                                CF Richarlison (Everton) I like his attitude

Subs
                                                Darlow (Newcastle)
                                                Sterling (Man City)
                                                Giroud (Chelsea)
                                                Armstrong (Southampton)
                                                Dallas (Leeds)
                                                Mitrovic (Fulham)

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  I'm not getting the Kante/Redmond duplication gags?
                                                  Steve Walsh, when at Leicester: "We play three in midfield. Danny Drinkwater in the middle, with Kante either side."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X