Rant about commentators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
    Considering that peccadilloes have been all over some threads on here recently, some of you might be able to imagine my excitement when I found that the episode of Sportsnight with Coleman featuring the final of the Find A Commentator competition has been uploaded in full onto YouTube. I'm staggered that it even still exists.

https://youtu.be/_mTiLfCZgmA
    Thanks, I enjoyed that.

Assorted notes: the claim that Ramsey wouldn't vote for a Scot isn't really substantiated. It was more the format ("voice" at the BBC 50 years ago was not likely to favour non-RP accents) and Coleman's clumsy, waffly chairing. Near the end he interrupts the voting to have a chat with the judges, for no good reason. Ramsey had the tie-breaker but cast it before knowing the final totals.

I did not recognize Stewart or Adamson at all, or Canning at first. Whereas Harrison sounded like he always did. (I think Tony Book knew exactly who St John was).

It's a great find, anyway.

Comment

The Ramsey/Scotsman thing originated from Alec Weeks, apparently.

https://www.sportsjournalists.co.uk/...s-commentator/

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
        Apologies for the thread hijack but that YouTube channel contains this gem - the Sportsnight with Coleman Kop Choirs competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_Vbre-sdc

The video is a bit of a mess and jumps about a bit but the eminent panel of Roger Kirkpatrick, Bob Wilson and Alan Hardaker eventually make their choice.

The finalists are:

Liverpool
        Newport County
        Rotherham
        Southampton
        Tottenham
        Wolves

Can you predict the winner?
        I can remember the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
          I reckon there might be someone else here who does as well...

Comment

I reckon there might be someone else here who does as well...
            Indeed.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                And how young they all are.

Comment

Adamson was working for British Forces Broadcasting and Harrison for BBC Radio Merseyside. Canning seems to have had no broadcasting experience.

Comment

Ex-military - particularly post-war national service - seems to have been a fairly common testing ground for the first couple of generations of commentators and reporters. Presumably they had the technology to be able to get some degree of experience there.

Comment

Funnily enough I remember the Kop Choir winners too...

Comment

As it's Cup Final day ...

Here's the full radio commentary on the 1983 final. "And Smith must score" by Peter Jones is at 2 hours, 2 minutes. The full context makes the miss sound even worse - and the commentary even better.

Comment

Fucksake tee rex, you might've warned us there was a spoiler for the Scottish Cup Final result seconds before the Smith miss.

Comment

Today the commentator would not just give the result but cross live to the reporter (if the schedulers were crazy enough to have the games kick off at the same time), and so the Brighton fanzine would have to be called "And back here at Wembley Smith has just missed a sitter". Not very catchy.

Comment

Apologies for the thread hijack but that YouTube channel contains this gem - the Sportsnight with Coleman Kop Choirs competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_Vbre-sdc

The video is a bit of a mess and jumps about a bit but the eminent panel of Roger Kirkpatrick, Bob Wilson and Alan Hardaker eventually make their choice.

The finalists are:

Liverpool
                              Newport County
                              Rotherham
                              Southampton
                              Tottenham
                              Wolves

Can you predict the winner?
                              I've now caught up with this, and it's a very strange slice of telly! The "leaders" of the choirs in the studio?

Like the commentators' programme, it's painfully stilted, only worse. Coleman the prefect with no chemistry at all. This was the same year that ITV brought in the panel for the World Cup, and it makes you realize how innovative it was ... just by allowing people to talk normally.

Comment

One absolute crime that is getting more and more common is special comments people yapping on once the ball is anywhere near the penalty area and hence talking over goals. See also commentators who have such long-winded intros they miss the build up to a goal in the first minute or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X