No announcement yet.

Rant about commentators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he was to talk about their central attacking midfielders, then I'm afraid CAM as an acronym is a thing.

Comment

If I heard someone referring to "CAMs" I would assume they were talking about "Children's and Adolescent Mental Health Services".

Comment

That's pronounced CAMHS, isn't it though?

Comment

...whereas 'CDM' always meant 'Cadbury's Dairy Milk' when I were a lad.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
            If he was to talk about their central attacking midfielders, then I'm afraid CAM as an acronym is a thing.
            In what circles though, other than I guess teenagers discussing their FUT line-ups? While I don't doubt it must be used somewhere, prior to that Hull commentary a few weeks ago I'd personally never previously heard anyone say it either in person or on any football-related broadcast. Can't even recall having seen it written down in any articles either, other than ones about video games.

Comment

I've heard it used on YouTube and podcasts in discussions about tactics a few times but those people were still a fair bit younger than me (which as one of OTF's 30-somethings says a fair bit).

Comment

In my youth, this is what CAM meant.

Comment

I suppose CAM is pronounced "kam" even though "sam" would make more sense.

Comment

It was always pronounced KAM in CAD/CAM.

Comment

Are there any English words at all beginning in ‘ca...’ that are pronounced with a soft ‘c’?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        Are there any English words at all beginning in ‘ca...’ that are pronounced with a soft ‘c’?
                        I can only think of words derived from Caesar... and that's pretty much the complete opposite of Anglo-Saxon in origin.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

I can only think of words derived from Caesar... and that's pretty much the complete opposite of Anglo-Saxon in origin.
                          And even that was apparently Kai-sar so shouldn't be a soft C

Comment

Turned over for extra time in the EFL trophy to hear Don Goodman use both the unnecessary emphasis of "it really is " and " the ball picked up so much pace off the turf" in the first sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                              Cyrillic? Not of English origin no doubt!

Likewise proper names Cecil, Cyril, Cecily etc.

Comment

None of those begin Ca, Sits.

The soft c is almost always follow by an e, i or y.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  None of those begin Ca, Sits.

The soft c is almost always follow by an e, i or y.
                                  Note to self: READ THE QUESTION.

Comment

Oh dear. Catastrophe. (With a hard ‘c’.)

Comment

Sitastrophe

Comment

You all catisfied now?

Comment

Considering that peccadilloes have been all over some threads on here recently, some of you might be able to imagine my excitement when I found that the episode of Sportsnight with Coleman featuring the final of the Find A Commentator competition has been uploaded in full onto YouTube. I'm staggered that it even still exists.

https://youtu.be/_mTiLfCZgmA

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                            Considering that peccadilloes have been all over some threads on here recently, some of you might be able to imagine my excitement when I found that the episode of Sportsnight with Coleman featuring the final of the Find A Commentator competition has been uploaded in full onto YouTube. I'm staggered that it even still exists.

https://youtu.be/_mTiLfCZgmA
                                            That's fantastic. I remember watching it at the time but hadn't realised that Gerry Harrison was involved. David Coleman adding the scores up in his head obviously oblivious to the rule that journalists are supposed to make a 'joke' about not being good at maths. I was a bit disappointed that one of the judges didn't have a fag on the go.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                              That's fantastic. I remember watching it at the time but hadn't realised that Gerry Harrison was involved. David Coleman adding the scores up in his head obviously oblivious to the rule that journalists are supposed to make a 'joke' about not being good at maths. I was a bit disappointed that one of the judges didn't have a fag on the go.
                                              Yes it was great. Most of them ended up as commentators didn't they? Tony Adamson too (as well as Harrison and St John)

Comment

I was wondering if it was the same Tony Adamson but couldn't find any way of confirming it.

Comment

Tony Adamson is the same one who went on to work for BBC Radio. Golf mostly, I think.

I think all of them went into broadcasting apart from Ed Stewart and Larry Canning, who were both already in broadcasting.

Comment

Apologies for the thread hijack but that YouTube channel contains this gem - the Sportsnight with Coleman Kop Choirs competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_Vbre-sdc

The video is a bit of a mess and jumps about a bit but the eminent panel of Roger Kirkpatrick, Bob Wilson and Alan Hardaker eventually make their choice.

The finalists are:

Liverpool
                                                    Newport County
                                                    Rotherham
                                                    Southampton
                                                    Tottenham
                                                    Wolves

Can you predict the winner?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X