Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Respecting your opponents by thrashing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
    I travelled to Italy to meet the goalkeeper who conceded ten for Bury at West Ham in the 83/84 League Cup. He was just pipped to player of the season in 84/85 but his name is synonymous with the heavy defeat, in which he played with a broken thumb. I can still hear the hurt in his voice in the recording of the interview when we talk about it. He’s a lovely fella. I wanted to hug him.

I also know the Swansea keeper who conceded eight at Anfield in the cup and he’s another top bloke.
    Lee Bracey was a decent keeper for us, seemed to lack the presence in the area but was a great shot stopper.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post

It is also ruining the art of captaincy in club cricket. Too often fields are set merely to save runs rather than taking wickets, and medium pace trundlers are preferred rather than attacking spinners who may concede a boundary of two. 0 for 30 is seen as better than 5 for 42 !
      This a thousand times, so true! Captains have lost the art of making the game interesting and getting it going. Getting a batsman to hit out, take their chances and then getting them stumped after a huge swing. I play Sunday cricket, friendlies only 35 overs with the option of the draw, we absolutely love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
        I travelled to Italy to meet the goalkeeper who conceded ten for Bury at West Ham in the 83/84 League Cup. He was just pipped to player of the season in 84/85 but his name is synonymous with the heavy defeat, in which he played with a broken thumb. I can still hear the hurt in his voice in the recording of the interview when we talk about it. He’s a lovely fella. I wanted to hug him.

I also know the Swansea keeper who conceded eight at Anfield in the cup and he’s another top bloke.
        That interview sounded like a tough assignment, having to go to Italy's Adriatic coast. David Brown had a couple of games on loan at Scunny around 1990, from Preston I think, probably around the time Bramhall was with us. It's strange that he doesn't have a Wikipedia page.
        Brian Cox (Huddersfield v Man City) and John Vaughan (Fulham v Liverpool) are other members of the "10 club" in my memory, and it's reassuring that all 3 had decent careers after letting in 10.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

That interview sounded like a tough assignment, having to go to Italy's Adriatic coast. David Brown had a couple of games on loan at Scunny around 1990, from Preston I think, probably around the time Bramhall was with us. It's strange that he doesn't have a Wikipedia page.
          Brian Cox (Huddersfield v Man City) and John Vaughan (Fulham v Liverpool) are other members of the "10 club" in my memory, and it's reassuring that all 3 had decent careers after letting in 10.
          I was very single minded about The Forgotten Fifteen. I was determined to speak to them all face-to-face, which was a problem given that Winston White was in the Caribbean and Browny was in Italy. Winston was over in the UK for a week with work so I spoke to him in Birmingham, but travelling to a charming little place called Verruchio, with a lever arch file full of match reports from the mid-80s dominating my Ryanair hand luggage, was indeed quite nice. On the day that I did my shopping for the jaunt, I found out Richie Barker had left his job as Bury manager a matter of days before the 12/13 season started. No wonder that season was such a car crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Lee Bracey was a decent keeper for us, seemed to lack the presence in the area but was a great shot stopper.
            He was always second fiddle to either Gary Kelly or Dean Kiely at Bury. He was signed very early into 93/94 when Gary Kelly was assaulted by John McGinlay in the League Cup first round and he performed consistently competently that season, showing an aptitude for saving penalties, including two in one match at Doncaster.

Kelly then came back for 94/95 and Lee continued to start and play well when Gary was injured or suspended. The same happened in 95/96 but Lee dropped a couple of clangers at the business end of the season when we were going for promotion. When Gary left after it had been achieved, Stan Ternent went and signed Deano and Lee never played for Bury again.

I spoke to Lee the other week in a Zoom interview for the Bury AFC website and he's lovely. Literally not a bad word to say about anyone. He's a copper for GMP now and lives in Burnley.

Comment

Good old-fashioned ex-player career.

Comment

Do GMP have a "works team", like the Met Police who occasionally get to the first round proper of the Cup?

Comment

Until very recently, I assumed that Metropolitan Police FC was made up of off-duty coppers.

Which I now gather hasn't been the case for some good while.

Comment

As impersonating a police officer is a very serious offence I hope they know what they're doing ...

Comment

There are still some police rugby sides out there. In the last few years I've played both Romford Police and the British Transport Police and they were both full of serving coppers.

Comment

A couple of years ago Met Police had played 27 league games, having won 9, drawn 9, lost 9 ( or 9-9-9 ! )

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                          There are still some police rugby sides out there. In the last few years I've played both Romford Police and the British Transport Police and they were both full of serving coppers.
                          South Wales Police were a very strong side in the 1980s, I think they had 2 Welsh internationals, Bleddyn Bowen being one, and a few B or Age group internationals

Comment

A couple of years ago Met Police had played 27 league games, having won 9, drawn 9, lost 9 ( or 9-9-9 ! )
                            There was quite a ruckus once when the opponents managed to get out of jail.

Given a last-minute free kick, one of their attackers somehow hoofed it over the wall.

Comment

Our local paper used to have a field day when Met Police were the opposition.

A late equaliser once meant we had got out of jail and after we had thrown away a 3-1 lead to draw 3-3 the headline was "Arrested !"

Comment

DO Met Police still runout to "I fought the law"?

South Wales Police were a very strong side in the 1980s, I think they had 2 Welsh internationals, Bleddyn Bowen being one, and a few B or Age group internationals
                                My dad broke his leg playing away to them.

Comment

In his younger days my brother-in-law played for several seasons in the Kent League which at that time housed a Kent Police football team that consisted mainly of serving officers. I remember him saying what a dirty bunch of fuckers they were, although as a centre-back of the old school he always relished any matches with an edge to them.

When my son played in the West Kent Sunday League there was a team from HMP Blantyre House (a low category prison near Goudhurst that has now closed), who played all of their matches at home for obvious reasons.

Comment

Playing rugby against prison sides was always an interesting experience, they always had one or two prison officers in the side. The first time I played them I had no idea and was surprised to see the two dirtiest players turn up in the officers mess after the game. I believe it's often the case that they are the dirty ones because the prisoners would lose the privilege of playing if they did anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                      Playing rugby against prison sides was always an interesting experience, they always had one or two prison officers in the side. The first time I played them I had no idea and was surprised to see the two dirtiest players turn up in the officers mess after the game. I believe it's often the case that they are the dirty ones because the prisoners would lose the privilege of playing if they did anything.
                                      I can vouch for this. Aa a student in Plymouth I played for a local club and we sometimes played Channingswood Prison and the prisoners themselves were model players. The screws on the other hand...!

Comment

My Sunday league team once had to play Feltham Young Offenders in a cup match, and they were the most sporting opposition we played against. Our team of flabby 30 something office workers was no match for those fit youngsters though. There were the obvious jokes about a couple of side not being allowed out afterwards.............

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post

Re: Ferguson’s take on the 9-0 win over Ipswich, this was him reflecting on it some time after it happened.: “I didn’t want them to score ten. You could have set our performance to music, but it’s unthinkable for a manager to lose 10-0. George Burley was emotional at the end. It was hard for him. I said, ‘I’m sorry about that, but you just have to do it.’ He just walked away and never came in for a drink. I didn’t blame him. I felt genuinely sorry for him. But I spoke to him after that about his team and he might have paid attention to what I said. I told him to stand by his principles and he would get there in the long run. You need patience in life and to get real quality you need to persevere. The worst thing you can be is blind to what’s wrong.”
                                          The only disrespectful comment after that 9-0 came from Blackburn's Alan Shearer, of course, who observed that "It just shows, there are no easy games in the Premier League - except Ipswich at home". It was satisfying, then, that Ipswich beat Blackburn and Shearer 1-0 at Ewood Park in the FA Cup less than a year later.

Ipswich substitute Ian Marshall could have shown a little more respect to his manager. When invited to start warming up with an hour gone and Town 5-0 down, he apparently said to George Burley "You must be fucking joking".

Comment

Within the space of 5 days Southampton have experienced losing by 9 goals when reduced to 9 men to losing by only one goal when the opposition were reduced to 9 men.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                              DO Met Police still runout to "I fought the law"?
                                              They were running out to this when we played them in the London Senior Cup final in 2014, I remember it made me laugh.

Playing that match at Imber Court was, in my view, akin to Liverpool facing Roma in the Olympic Stadium in the 1984 European Cup final.

Comment

Except that you'd've outnumbered the home fans by at least a hundred to one...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post

The only disrespectful comment after that 9-0 came from Blackburn's Alan Shearer, of course, who observed that "It just shows, there are no easy games in the Premier League - except Ipswich at home". It was satisfying, then, that Ipswich beat Blackburn and Shearer 1-0 at Ewood Park in the FA Cup less than a year later.

Ipswich substitute Ian Marshall could have shown a little more respect to his manager. When invited to start warming up with an hour gone and Town 5-0 down, he apparently said to George Burley "You must be fucking joking".
                                                  I never had a problem with Shearer saying that because in the context of that season, it was pretty much inarguable. Agree with you about the Cup win the following season, which featured at least 8 players from the 94/95 season (though not necessarily the 9-0) in the starting 11.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X