No announcement yet.

Who will dethrone Liverpool in the desert? The belated 2020 World Club Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palmeiras 0 Tigres 0. Nearly half-time and Tigres looking more likely to take the lead.

Three Palmeiras players have bleached their hair for the occasion. I thought that went out of fashion in 1998.

Comment

1-0 Tigres. Gignac penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
        Three Palmeiras players have bleached their hair for the occasion. I thought that went out of fashion in 1998.
        Yes, what a smart move that was.

‘Eh? I thought I was passing to Dan Petrescu?’

’No, he went off ten minutes ago.’

(Tigres take the lead from twelve yards.)

Comment

And fortunate not to concede another penalty minutes later.

Palmeiras are desperate. They've brought on Felipe Melo along with the much more sensible introduction of Patrick de Paula.

Comment

5 subs on for Palmeiras but they're mainly like for like. They don't seem to be aware that they've got 20 minutes or so to rescue this or they'll be going home to face derision and ridicule.

Comment

Are they both in the Brazilian top division?

Comment

At last a decent move but Luiz Adriano fails to make contact with the cross.

Comment

All over. Well deserved win for Tigres.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Are they both in the Brazilian top division?
                    Tigres are from Monterrey - they beat LAFC 3-1 in last year's CONCACAF Champions League final.

Comment

Erm, I was referring to derision and ridicule...

Comment

I've been whooshed, ain't I?

Comment

los tigres del universidad autonomica de nuevo leon are going to play for the theoretical right to be called the best club team in on planet earth, and yet needed a goal from their keeper in the 90 somethingth minute to not be bounced out of CONCACAF CL by the usually 3rd or 4th best team in el salvador. en que mundo vivimos

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                            los tigres del universidad autonomica de nuevo leon are going to play for the theoretical right to be called the best club team in on planet earth, and yet needed a goal from their keeper in the 90 somethingth minute to not be bounced out of CONCACAF CL by the usually 3rd or 4th best team in el salvador. en que mundo vivimos
                            To be fair though if they win this they'll have beaten the champions of Asia, South America and then Europe. It would be churlish to deny them the crown, even if Bayern don't take it too seriously. Being Bayern I very much doubt that will happen, either.

Comment

Final's tonight at 6 on the BBC red button. How big a deal will it be in Mexico and by extension CONCACAF if Tigres win this?

Comment

Palmeiras lost the third-place playoff on penalties, partly because one of their players did this:

https://twitter.com/diegoguichard/status/1359911938260688896?s=20

Comment

Really, really don’t see how that’s offside.

Comment

The experiment of playing succesive games on a grass pitch laid on the desert sand is ... not going well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                      Final's tonight at 6 on the BBC red button. How big a deal will it be in Mexico and by extension CONCACAF if Tigres win this?
                                      I would guess that 90% of Mexican football fans are supporting Bayern Munich tonight.

Comment

On what basis do you say that?

It certainly isn't the vibe on Spanish language television here.

Nor would I expect it to be. Tigres have a long-standing rivalry with Monterrey, but they aren't either Chivas (Guadalajara) or America, the "super clubs" with national fanbases that hate each other.

Comment

Just human nature. I can't imagine fans of the other clubs would want Tigres fans to be able to lord it over them.

Comment

I think you are making assumptions about the uniformity of "human nature" that aren't supported by evidence (such as the recorded reaction of Spanish language commentators here with known allegiances to other Mexican clubs and vox pops with supporters of those other clubs)
                                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 11-02-2021, 21:12.

Comment

Ok, it was intended to be a light hearted post, I withdraw it.

Comment

Ah, apologies

In any event, if Spanish language coverage in the US is any indication, it would have been a very big deal in Mexico had Tigres won and remains a big thing that they qualified.

CONCACAF pride, on the other hand, isn't really a thing

Comment

So Bayern won the Global Charity Shield. And Thomas M?ller got Covid.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X