No announcement yet.

A question about an incident in last night's game between United and Liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about an incident in last night's game between United and Liverpool

When Robertson shouted at Greenwood when he was about to score, it would surely have been a yellow card if he had missed it for unsporting behaviour but would it have been a penalty or indirect free kick?

Depending on what Robertson actually said, I don't think that constitutes an offence at all, does it?

Comment

It makes him a pathetic little weasel

Comment

Welcome to the board, Paddy. What's your favourite biscuit?

Comment

As Jah said, unless what he said was racist it's very unlikely to merit attention from a ref.

Comment

What if he'd shouted something like "Square it!"?

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
              It makes him a pathetic little weasel
              Oh be fair EIM. Paddy's new here, there's no need to be rude.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Oh be fair EIM. Paddy's new here, there's no need to be rude.
                You're right. There'll be plenty of time for that later.

Comment

Under the Laws of the Game and FA Rules, it’s a cautionable offense, listed under unsporting behavior, to verbally distract or deceive an opponent. Now whether this is followed in practice in the Premier League and other levels and leagues is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRoteJr. View Post
                    Under the Laws of the Game and FA Rules, it’s a cautionable offense, listed under unsporting behavior, to verbally distract or deceive an opponent. Now whether this is followed in practice in the Premier League and other levels and leagues is another matter.
                    Would it be punishable by a free kick, though, or would the ref just book the player during the next break in play?

Comment

I saw that incident too, and wondered. Is he perchance a bit of a prick, young Robertson?

Comment

Interesting, as it would surely be easy for the ref to hear.

When I started playing sunday league, I was told ambiguous shouts like “leave”, “mine” could be penalised, let alone ones done with malice.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post

When I started playing sunday league, I was told ambiguous shouts like “leave”, “mine” could be penalised, let alone ones done with malice.
                          I think Harry Anderson got called up on this or maybe said something to an opponent this season for Lincoln. Can't remember which game I was watching but ref awarded free kick against City for what seemed no discernible reason, so must have been something he said.

Comment

Originally posted by wingco View Post
                            I saw that incident too, and wondered. Is he perchance a bit of a prick, young Robertson?

I think he just might be. Personable and articulate in the interview; snide tosser on the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                              What if he'd shouted something like "Square it!"?
                              Yes, I like to think he was giving a Roy of the Rovers-style commentary on proceedings - "My word, you're in a good position here. If you hit it low and hard to the keeper's right, you'll have a great chance of grabbing the equaliser."

Comment

I'm no apologist for Robertson at all, but reading this thread you'd think that this kind of thing didn't go on several times during the course of every match ever.

Free kicks for 'sledging' (or whatever this year's expression is)? I mean, seriously?

Comment

Would Greenwood even have heard him? He's focused on the action.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    I'm no apologist for Robertson at all, but reading this thread you'd think that this kind of thing didn't go on several times during the course of every match ever.

Free kicks for 'sledging' (or whatever this year's expression is)? I mean, seriously?

It wasn't sledging, which probably does happen a bit, though I'm not sure it's as common as you suggest. This was trying to put someone off as they were about to take a shot by yelling at them, which I've never seen before on TV or heard at a live game.

Actually the last time I heard it was probably in the school playground.

Comment

The incident in question would have got you a bollocking from the ref in the tipperary South schoolboys District league in the early 90's. Then again you used to get booked for swearing in frustration if you misplaced a pass, so I don't know if that's a guide for the professional game

Comment

I didn't see his lips move, so it looked like he was going " aargh" which is unlikely to put anyone off.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                          It wasn't sledging, which probably does happen a bit, though I'm not sure it's as common as you suggest. This was trying to put someone off as they were about to take a shot by yelling at them, which I've never seen before on TV or heard at a live game.

Well, whatever you want to call it. But, you've seriously never seen a player getting in his opponent's ear ahead of a penalty, for example? Well, you have, of course - the question should be 'how often have you seen it punished?'

I'd argue that this is merely a more apparent version of the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post

This was the same for me at underage and I did wonder if there was any chance of it happening now at professional level with no crowds

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              I didn't see his lips move, so it looked like he was going " aargh" which is unlikely to put anyone off.
                                              I saw Mark Gavin stun a defender while playing on the wing for Rochdale many years ago by shouting "aargh" in his face before skinning him. Whether the ref let it go or didn't see it I don't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                I'm now wondering if any professional players these days shout "ZICO!" as they strike the ball, and/or "ONE NIL!" as it hits the back of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I'm now wondering if any professional players these days shout "ZICO!" as they strike the ball, and/or "ONE NIL!" as it hits the back of the net.
                                                  I presume there is a new name that they would use for long range efforts, that came from their childhoods 15 years ish back. Just as my generation should Lorimer! (or Jonny Rep!) always with rising intonation, and then ther was the Zico generation you obviously belong to. Who was whacking goals in from distance around 2005?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X