Good Phrases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Phrases

I am nearly through the WSC First Eleven. It's taken me a while since I intersperse with other football reading. But there was a a phrase that Ticher used in issue 9 or 10 that I can't find again to give the full quote: making a dog's breakfast out whatever the topic was. That was great. I haven't heard or read that one before. The phrase seemed to get at the same meaning as "making a pig's ear" out of a play (which I have not heard a commentator use in at least 4 or 5 years.

Then just now I see in the interesting football photographs thread Sporting mentions that he hadn't heard "stookie" before (which is also new to me). KingsburySaint used that one.

Any other good phrases to share?

I've always used 'dog's breakfast' the same as 'pig's ear'

In terms of stookie, I didn't know what the English equivalent was for years. You used to see loads of footballers with them on their wrists. Gary Lineker springs to mind.

I thought they might be outlawed as dangerous with the potential to clout someone, but it appears they are still worn.

Comment

Not really related to the thread title, but talking of footballers' adornments whatever happened to those nasal strips, made popular by Robbie Fowler?

Comment

Is 'popular' the mot juste?

Comment

As I recall they were superseded by smearing Vicks or some other substance on the front of the shirt, most notably by Patrick Vieira. Didn't the kit designers subsequently introduce a "vapour zone" where they could splodge it on?

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
            As I recall they were superseded by smearing Vicks or some other substance on the front of the shirt, most notably by Patrick Vieira. Didn't the kit designers subsequently introduce a "vapour zone" where they could splodge it on?
            I remember watching an Arsenal game on TV during the Vieira era and a fair number of the team had it. “The greasy patch” as I called it, and it’s still stuck in my head, and sprang to mind the moment I saw Fowler’s snoring strips mentioned, as it clearly did for you.

Does Fecundo Sava’s mask come into the “adornments” category?

Comment

Anyone else remember "the snood"?

Comment

Still worn by most of the Arsenal team after November 15th each year, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                  Anyone else remember "the snood"?
                  Jimmy Bullard was fond of the snood when he was with us. To be fair, it just made him look even more of a twat.

Comment

Working...
                  X