Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Different Sports Have Been Hosted by Football Stadia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show jumping was a BBC TV staple around the 70s, whereas dressage never has been. Not hard to see why: horse goes around course, knocks over 2 fences, beats horse that knocks over 3. Very telly-friendly. Whereas nobody knows what's going on in dressage.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      They're not judged on style, I don't think. They have to get over all the jumps in a set period of time, and each jump knocked down adds a time penalty.
      I stand corrected! Show jumping is now less silly than I thought it was. My poor impression of dressage is also informed by Mitt Romney's wife being an American olympian in it.

Comment

I went to watch some dressage at a local horse show in San Diego once. It was exactly as dreary and rubbish as you'd expect.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          They're not judged on style, I don't think. They have to get over all the jumps in a set period of time, and each jump knocked down adds a time penalty.
          "Faults".as the first criteria, usually

Comment

Dressage is by some distance the most tedious of the equestrian events, essentially adding animal cruelty and perform active poshness to the crushing tedium of the compulsory figures in old time figure skating.

The cross-country events are the most entertaining for me, though they are hard to broadcast. Four in Hand coach races can be a particular hoot.

Comment

We went to the Dressage in the London Olympics and thought it was like Showjumping when we got the tickets as a last minute bonus.

it was pretty dull but used the same venue as the Showjumping (as seen below) so the view was good ;

Comment

By far the best equestrian event is Puissance (or "horse high jump" as I prefer to call it)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  26.11.69 North West Counties v Springboks was played at White City Stadium, Manchester, but I'm not sure that stadium ever hosted football given that Old Trafford was only a mile away.
                  I was going to comment that I had been previously unaware of a White City (district or stadium) in Manchester or anywhere outside of London but on checking it turns out that examples of both are everywhere.

Given the origin of the London one's name is the marble cladding on the pavilions from the exhibitions held there do the others all have similar etymology or are some in tribute?

Comment

In primetime Saturday TV terms, showjumping is Total Wipeout whilst dressage is Strictly.

Comment

Yeah, but Strictly is watchable for reasonable amounts of people, whereas dressage is only of interest to rich horse botherers.

Comment

Dressage was shown on Olympic Grandstand when the royals were competing at 3 Day Event in the 1970-80s but I doubt it's ever been shown without that factor.

https://www.olympic.org/mark-phillips

Comment

Charlotte wants a word ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Dujardin

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Given the origin of the London one's name is the marble cladding on the pavilions from the exhibitions held there do the others all have similar etymology or are some in tribute?
                            Certainly the case with Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I was going to comment that I had been previously unaware of a White City (district or stadium) in Manchester or anywhere outside of London but on checking it turns out that examples of both are everywhere.

Manchester's (home to my local Aldi) seems to have been named in tribute. The white gateway, which is all that remains, dates from when the site was home to the Manchester Botanical Gardens.

Comment

According to Wiki, Chicago World's Fair 1893 was the original White City and the ones in London and Manchester were derived from that. London's was for the 1908 Olympics and Manchester's was built in 1907 on land acquired from the Royal Botanical Society. White City may also refer to the fact that Manchester's had 25,000 lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...musement_parks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...ter_Manchester
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-01-2021, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Certainly the case with Chicago

That's a fine book, by the way

Comment

Indeed it is

Comment

The documentary Magic Of The White City with Gene Wilder narrating is worth watching as well. It's on YouTube.

Comment

Earworm. "Your Woman."

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          According to Wiki, Chicago World's Fair 1893 was the original White City and the ones in London and Manchester were derived from that. London's was for the 1908 Olympics and Manchester's was built in 1907 on land acquired from the Royal Botanical Society. White City may also refer to the fact that Manchester's had 25,000 lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...musement_parks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...ter_Manchester
                                          Ah, that's very interesting thanks - and confirmed here :

The exhibition was a private enterprise run by showman Imre Kiralfy, who had produced previous spectaculars in USA, France and Britain, and whose company name for the five subsequent events that were held on the site was Shepherd's Bush Exhibition Ltd.

Kiralfy was inspired by the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, where the painted showground buildings had earned the nickname White City - he borrowed the idea and formalised the name.

Your first link is missing a bracket at the end, by the way,

Comment

An extremely Hungarian name, that

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kiralfy_Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                                Turning this around, Murrayfield was used for a Scottish Cup semi final a couple of years ago.
                                                Plus Hearts have played some European games there. I saw them lose to AEK Athens in a Champions League qualifier about 15(?) years ago

Comment

Hearts also used Murrayfield for a few league games in (I think) 2017 while work was being done at Tynecastle.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X