The new WSC with Jamie Vardy on the cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
    Is that Worcestershire's Phil Neale sitting in the middle in that Lincoln team picture. If it is, he had some career for them as I'm sure he played against us in 1984 and maybe the following season too. We didn't go to Argyle every week when I was young, but my cricket mad dad always took me to the games against them.

Also part of one of my favourite Argyle oddities, where Terry Austin and him scored all the goals in a 2-2 draw, one for their team and one for the other.
    That's your man - one of the last dual-sportsmen along with Chris Balderstone. He'd always show up in Lincoln at the end of the cricket season in early September and go straight into the first team. He was a very solid defender, and in cricket he was often mentioned as being on the fringes of an England call-up. I think he batted at number three for Worcestershire, and it was always the first county score-card I looked for when opening up the cricket pages.

Comment

You'll never guess who's had a letter published Patrick Thistle

Comment

I did check. He had one last month too.

Comment

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, has he moved? I'm sure he used to be in Plymouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
            If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, has he moved? I'm sure he used to be in Plymouth.
            Yup. PT reckons that the move and the time it took up was behind his strange absence from one of the letters pages a few months ago.

Comment

I definitely got that sweet waft of Panini on opening this issue, which arrived today along with last week's Private Eye. It soon dispersed though.

What is the picture next to the big WSC logo on the envelope supposed to be? I'm concerned that the postman will think we subscribe to a journal of Ear, Nose and Throat medicine and start asking for sinus management tips.

The story about the Corinthian collector's girlfriend googling his name made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Yup. PT reckons that the move and the time it took up was behind his strange absence from one of the letters pages a few months ago.
                He was absent for several months during the first Covid wave, hence my concern.

Comment

Mine arrived on Tuesday, so at my usual rate, I'll finish it just before February.

Comment

Hurrah, mine arrived this morning.

Comment

Surprised mine hasn't arrived yet as I usually get it the day these threads start.

Comment

Arrived in the Dublin shops this week. Very quick when you consider other Brexit problems.

Comment

There is a letter in which the writer claims he was in the away end at Wycombe for their first game in the League, and saw Carlisle's Chris Curran score Wycombe's first goal in the League (with an own goal obviously).

He must have had good eyesight because the match was played at Carlisle.

Comment

It's here, only just over a week late this time. I haven't had chance to read the last one yet. It's in perfect condition, though.

Comment

Despite my representations WSC can't go back to shrinkwrapping the mag, so I'm stuck with waiting two days for the dampness to disappear. Switching to paper envelopes is an annoying and puzzling decision by the publisher. It makes no odds if your mail gets posted into your house whether it's in paper or plastic, but if you have an external mailbox it makes a considerable difference.

Comment

In the piece on Guiseley, it says an ageing Frank Worthington turned out for them in 1980/81. Without checking wiki, that's got to be a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                  In the piece on Guiseley, it says an ageing Frank Worthington turned out for them in 1980/81. Without checking wiki, that's got to be a typo.
                                  Yeah, I think it must be 1990/91. And Guiseley is hardly in a valley as stated either, it's at the near the top of a hill!

I was impressed with reading that Lincoln spent 20 out of 22 years in division 2 until 1920, until it dawned on me that the third tier didn't exist during those years.

Comment

I still haven't received mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
                                      I was impressed with reading that Lincoln spent 20 out of 22 years in division 2 until 1920, until it dawned on me that the third tier didn't exist during those years.
                                      Did it not? Then what were the Central League and the Midlands League part of? Lincoln won them both, in 1909 and 1912 respectively, to go straight back up to Division Two following relegation. So, impressive enough.

Comment

It has arrived in Holland replete with customs declaration and a statement that the envelope does not contain any dangerous articles!

Comment

New WSC reached Germany two days ago. Private Eye also resumed and very fast delivery again - new issue arrived today.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Did it not? Then what were the Central League and the Midlands League part of? Lincoln won them both, in 1909 and 1912 respectively, to go straight back up to Division Two following relegation. So, impressive enough.
                                            Well I had foolishly assumed that the other two years were actually in the top flight on the basis the football league was more of a closed shop with re-election and all that back then. To be voted out and back in again twice in quick succession sounds an interesting story.

Comment

I think that Grimsby Town are the only top flight Lincolnshire team.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
                                                Well I had foolishly assumed that the other two years were actually in the top flight on the basis the football league was more of a closed shop with re-election and all that back then. To be voted out and back in again twice in quick succession sounds an interesting story.
                                                It was a close-run thing - on both occasions there were two spots available, and both times Lincoln scraped in as the second club. It seems that things like attendance during the non-league seasons was quite a factor, and a good FA Cup run the second time around. But of course it also depended a lot on who you knew and who your contacts were among the other league clubs. No doubt having been a league club previously stood you in good stead, provided you hadn't made too many enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  I think that Grimsby Town are the only top flight Lincolnshire team.
                                                  Yep, neither Lincoln nor Scunthorpe have ever been in the top tier. Scunny were only elected into the Football League in 1950.

Comment

Arrived to the US today. No tears to the envelope so I'm going to use it to hold tax forms. Smells like a magazine.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X