X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    It seems to have become much more sophisticated as it's gone on – with sounds for controversy, etc. Whether that's a good thing or not is another matter.
    There may be a reason for that as I discovered when moving from BT Sport to the BBC at some point over Christmas. The BT Sport channel I went past was doing their live goals show, and they said something about Villa scoring to go 2-0 up just as I channel hopped. When I went to the BBC it was only 1-0 to Villa. I was briefly confused... until Villa scored about 30 seconds later! The BBC 'live' feed was clearly around 2 minutes behind actual time.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    I must say, the CGI is pretty realistic and even the players and officials thought that it was real.

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1348726670098837507

Leave a comment:

• Artificial Hipster
    replied
    Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
    The sounds they had for the Chorley vs Derby match on Saturday were dreadful, though - a kind of high pitched shouting that sounded like it had been taken from a schools international, or some other match where vast numbers of tickets had been given it to kids.
    Same thing tonight for Stockport v West Ham, sounds like a school playground.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    I usually watch with the sound turned off anyway so it's not a problem. The exception are QPR's streamed home games, where the away bench and players are the only noise you can hear. None of our players talk to each other on the pitch, nor is there any shouting from the sidelines. This is an indicator of lack of passion to many fans, and that we're too "soft" and "nice."

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Did The Shay used to host Speedway or is that a false memory?
    Halifax Dukes were based there for about twenty years before they moved to Odsal.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Did The Shay used to host Speedway or is that a false memory?

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Halifax Town got told off by the league back in the early seventies for using crowd noise from Wembley to try and create an atmosphere. Funny, 'cos whenever I've been to The Shay, it's been quite lively. Must be a Yorkshire rivalry thing...

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
    Does anyone else remember someone (Stevenage Borough maybe) playing fake crowd noise over the tannoy during their actual games?
    The NFL fined the Atlanta Falcons $350,000 and a fifth round draft pick after they played recorded crowd noise during the 2013 and 2014 seasons. They also suspended Atlanta's director of event marketing (who was deemed to be responsible) for eight weeks, although this was a bit of a moot point as the Falcons fired him.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    A couple of seasons back there was a Sheffield derby at Bramall Lane on Poppy Weekend, and Sky somehow managed to end up playing recorded crowd noise over part of the minutes silence.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    During one of Wales' nations league matches last autumn, the fake crowd noise of Wales fans singing was inadvertently played over the Irish anthem.

The commentators didn't bother to denounce by asserting that "they're not real fans, just a mindless minority", though.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    And a fake orgasm after England goals.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by EIM View Post
    The fake minute's applause during the Manchester derby last week was a new low point.
    They should introduce a fake minute's silence next.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    The snooker fake applause is indeed quite funny, it's actually applied in the arena and it's the marker (the referee who does the scoring largely out of view of the cameras) who presses the button to activate it. There was an incident in the UK when they pressed it at the wrong moment and set Neil Robertson off laughing. They also have cheering for the players entering the arena.

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
    Does anyone else remember someone (Stevenage Borough maybe) playing fake crowd noise over the tannoy during their actual games?
    They do this at Utrecht now and again in an attempt to drown out abusive chanting.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Yes, on reflection, I think a tennis player would be used to it because they play all-year round in multi-court arenas, even on the satellite circuit (and in qualifiers).

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    I can only think of badminton as another sport where you have to concentrate through crowd noises from an adjacent game.

Outer courts at Wimbledon, for example?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    The snooker crowd noise is quite amusing. I think they only have one "end of frame" effect, and it's raucous applause with a few whistles and cheers thrown in. Which is fine when someone's knocked in a century, not so much after a 40 minute bout of error-strewn attritional safety with a highest break of 20.
    At the Crucible they would need to add noise from the 2nd table occasionally. I can only think of badminton as another sport where you have to concentrate through crowd noises from an adjacent game (perhaps also Wimbledon when Henman was on Centre and some poor sod was trying to focus on Court 1).

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    But yes, otherwise we shouldn't be having this discussion as they shouldn't be fucking playing.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    I don't mind it, however the option to not have it is great when for the nth time, the commentators have to apologise for "unsuitable" language as someone shouts "JUST FUCKING HOOF IT INTO TOUCH" or similar.

Unsuitable is subjective, and if you think that's bad you obviously haven't heard what I've been shouting at the telly.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    The snooker crowd noise is quite amusing. I think they only have one "end of frame" effect, and it's raucous applause with a few whistles and cheers thrown in. Which is fine when someone's knocked in a century, not so much after a 40 minute bout of error-strewn attritional safety with a highest break of 20.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    I think this would be a good opportunity to take a cue from the NHL, and introduce ice hockey style organ music during attacks

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    I took offence yesterday when a VAR decision (correctly) disallowed a goal and was met with booing and whistling. So much for impartiality.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Slightly strong?
    Never let it be said that I might lay it on a bit thick sometimes. But I do think it's a very bad thing, and it does make me feel a bit sick to think about. I think it's partly related to my feelings about the whole "dance for me, monkeys!" thing (I find the insistence on football's continuation as TV spectacle to be quite...yeah, tbh, vile is the right word, for me) and partly the slightly separate (but related) issue of football's being turned into primarily a TV thing.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    It's vile
    Slightly strong?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X