Fake Crowd Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Crowd Noise

Which broadcasters are doing it and which not? Does it work?

I was strongly opposed when I first encountered it (Fox Bundesliga) but seem to now accept it provided it's well done, which is usually the case. OTOH Radio Sheffield had no crowd noise for Barnsley v Tranmere and I did not miss it. I think it's one of the COVID adaptations that has now become normalized for me. The exception might be when we had small crowds back briefly in London and Liverpool and it was jarring to have a real crowd for a 3pm game then a fake one at 5.30pm. The other issue is that it's jarring when a goal is scored and the fake noise hasn't caught up, but maybe that is being worked on?

Perhaps also there's a fear that the technology is now so good that it might be used after COVID to add fake noise to a crap game or a Man U Europa League tie.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-01-2021, 00:00.

It seems to have become much more sophisticated as it's gone on – with sounds for controversy, etc. Whether that's a good thing or not is another matter.

Comment

Since I spend half of my match watching time also doing other things, I appreciate the crowd noises as a sign that I need to run back into the living room because something is happening.

The sounds they had for the Chorley vs Derby match on Saturday were dreadful, though - a kind of high pitched shouting that sounded like it had been taken from a schools international, or some other match where vast numbers of tickets had been given it to kids.

Comment

It's vile. Everything about it. Including people saying "it's better with the sounds". Hideous. Burn it down. There's a reason you hate watching football on telly without there being a crowd there. So instead of not doing it, you want to try to pretend there is, so it feels less weird? There's something massively wrong with that.
        Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 11-01-2021, 11:15.

Comment

The fake minute's applause during the Manchester derby last week was a new low point.

Comment

If you tolerate this...

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
              The fake minute's applause during the Manchester derby last week was a new low point.
              Well, that's taking matters a little far, I must say.

However, broadcasters seem to use it fairly sparingly so, in general, I have little problem with it. (In many cases, channels offer alternative coverage, so if people prefer the empty clatter of a training session, then that's also available.)

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                Since I spend half of my match watching time also doing other things, I appreciate the crowd noises as a sign that I need to run back into the living room because something is happening.

The sounds they had for the Chorley vs Derby match on Saturday were dreadful, though - a kind of high pitched shouting that sounded like it had been taken from a schools international, or some other match where vast numbers of tickets had been given it to kids.
                I noticed that too - it was as if the producer had said "this is a tie you'd have got 3,000 fans in for, what have we got that's like that?".

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  It's vile
                  Slightly strong?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Slightly strong?
                    Never let it be said that I might lay it on a bit thick sometimes. But I do think it's a very bad thing, and it does make me feel a bit sick to think about. I think it's partly related to my feelings about the whole "dance for me, monkeys!" thing (I find the insistence on football's continuation as TV spectacle to be quite...yeah, tbh, vile is the right word, for me) and partly the slightly separate (but related) issue of football's being turned into primarily a TV thing.

Comment

I took offence yesterday when a VAR decision (correctly) disallowed a goal and was met with booing and whistling. So much for impartiality.

Comment

I think this would be a good opportunity to take a cue from the NHL, and introduce ice hockey style organ music during attacks

Comment

The snooker crowd noise is quite amusing. I think they only have one "end of frame" effect, and it's raucous applause with a few whistles and cheers thrown in. Which is fine when someone's knocked in a century, not so much after a 40 minute bout of error-strewn attritional safety with a highest break of 20.

Comment

Does anyone else remember someone (Stevenage Borough maybe) playing fake crowd noise over the tannoy during their actual games?

Comment

I don't mind it, however the option to not have it is great when for the nth time, the commentators have to apologise for "unsuitable" language as someone shouts "JUST FUCKING HOOF IT INTO TOUCH" or similar.

Unsuitable is subjective, and if you think that's bad you obviously haven't heard what I've been shouting at the telly.

Comment

But yes, otherwise we shouldn't be having this discussion as they shouldn't be fucking playing.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                  The snooker crowd noise is quite amusing. I think they only have one "end of frame" effect, and it's raucous applause with a few whistles and cheers thrown in. Which is fine when someone's knocked in a century, not so much after a 40 minute bout of error-strewn attritional safety with a highest break of 20.
                                  At the Crucible they would need to add noise from the 2nd table occasionally. I can only think of badminton as another sport where you have to concentrate through crowd noises from an adjacent game (perhaps also Wimbledon when Henman was on Centre and some poor sod was trying to focus on Court 1).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    I can only think of badminton as another sport where you have to concentrate through crowd noises from an adjacent game.

Outer courts at Wimbledon, for example?

Comment

Yes, on reflection, I think a tennis player would be used to it because they play all-year round in multi-court arenas, even on the satellite circuit (and in qualifiers).

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                        Does anyone else remember someone (Stevenage Borough maybe) playing fake crowd noise over the tannoy during their actual games?
                                        They do this at Utrecht now and again in an attempt to drown out abusive chanting.

Comment

The snooker fake applause is indeed quite funny, it's actually applied in the arena and it's the marker (the referee who does the scoring largely out of view of the cameras) who presses the button to activate it. There was an incident in the UK when they pressed it at the wrong moment and set Neil Robertson off laughing. They also have cheering for the players entering the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                            They should introduce a fake minute's silence next.

Comment

And a fake orgasm after England goals.

Comment

During one of Wales' nations league matches last autumn, the fake crowd noise of Wales fans singing was inadvertently played over the Irish anthem.

The commentators didn't bother to denounce by asserting that "they're not real fans, just a mindless minority", though.

Comment

A couple of seasons back there was a Sheffield derby at Bramall Lane on Poppy Weekend, and Sky somehow managed to end up playing recorded crowd noise over part of the minutes silence.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X