Colin Bell RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colin Bell RIP

Well this one sucks. My Dad's favorite Manchester City player.

For some reason this has shocked me more than other recent departures. Very sad.

Comment

For Whom the Bell Tolls.
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-01-2021, 19:44.

Comment

Aw crap

Comment

Number one is Colin Bell
          And number two is Colin Bell
          And number three is Colin Bell
          And number four is Colin Bell

Comment

He used to drink in the pub I ran in Pimlico. He'd come in every Sunday with his wife for a roast dinner. Never said a lot. Knew I was a United fan. Got the distinct impression that he didn't like me.

They held their grandson's christening party in our dining room. I jokingly referred to it to a blue who worked for me as "the Martin Buchan Suite". The blue didn't get the joke and repeated it to Bell thinking that's what we called the room. I can still feel the burning shame to this day.

I spent the shift hiding in the office like a coward.

Sorry, Colin. RIP.

Comment

One of a very small select group of players in my lifetime who played at highest level won highest honours and yet had a career and reputation always remembered with respect . Which will be reflected in tomorrow obituaries. And it cant be just for the nature of his injury that effectively ended his career-that nowhere uncommon in football history.

Comment

My favourite player ever. Always the greatest to me. Genuinely upset by this, a big part of my youth goes with him.

RIP The King.

Comment

The first thing I ever wrote for WSC, apart from a letter, was a piece about writing for Bury's programme. I used to write a page called The History Boys in which I interviewed a former player and span 500 words from it.

I asked Colin's ghostwriter, Ian Cheeseman who was then at the BBC, if he could ask if Colin would be up for it. He agreed and passed on the message from Colin that he'd call me at work one lunchtime for a short chat. I was away from my desk when the phone rang and the lad next to me, who had no interest in football, took the call. I got back to my desk and the lad said "Someone called Colin Bell has just called for you. Said he'd call back in five minutes," as the head of the City fan on the next pod of desks nearly span clean off. It was a very nice chat for half an hour, he obviously remembered his time at the club with fondness.

RIP Colin. My dad thought you were great and so did many other Bury fans.

Comment

https://youtu.be/ahWNsKDO4ds

A happy memory for Tony C and others from November '72.

Comment

Another old favourite.

https://youtu.be/Mv3Vb2q7ldg

Comment

Some nice stories here. I don't have anything so personal, only falling in love with the away kit City wore in the first Cup Final I watched (or remember watching). After that Colin Bell was the sticker, the Esso coin, the playground player you pretended to be. RIP.

Comment

The Dustbinmen's Winston Platt thought Colin Bell was a god. Which he was, at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                            The Dustbinmen's Winston Platt thought Colin Bell was a god. Which he was, at the time.
                            aka Jerry Booth out of Coronation Street

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              https://youtu.be/ahWNsKDO4ds

A happy memory for Tony C and others from November '72.
                              Christ above, was that Alex Stepney, or did they invite someone out of the crowd the give them the chance to play in a manchester derby? the major conclusion that I came to after watching so much old football during the lockdown was that my long term suspicion that Peter Schmeichel invented goalkeeping in 1991 was in fact completely correct.

On the other hand, another thing to come out of watching those old games was that I think I posted some videos either here or on facebook that were basically a bunch of games where bell looked like a player decades ahead of his time. Commiserations to Tony C and Dglh's dad. (and obvs to his family)
                              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 05-01-2021, 23:24.

Comment

Magnificent player. One of those you really had to see live to understand how truly impressive they were. Sad for all the City fans for whom he was such an icon.

Comment

Bell was a fantastic player. Commiserations to all at City.

Tab. If you thought Stepney was shite you should have seen Paddy Roche.

Comment

I saw him play a couple of times but cannot remember much about his on-field brilliance; all I can remember is my Dad and others around us getting highly nervous, especially when he had the ball in our half of the field. If the opposition fans thought he was good, then he obviously was a massive talent. RIP.

Comment

I liked Martin Buchan as a player. Underrated defender, very much an individual in the way he went about his job (and evidently in his private life), unfussy in general.

Colin Bell said that the tackle which in effect ended his career was an accident.

That said, Buchan never paid him a visit after the injury, nor ever apologised.

Poor.

Comment

RIP - he was a decent player on his day.

Interesting reading of posters' dads speaking so highly of Bell, in that I remember my father didn't rate him at all, and often stated this! (But then again, he grew up watching Stanley Matthews, Tommy Lawton and Tom Finney, etc, so I his parameters would've been very different.)

Comment

That volley at the Bridge that Tony C linked to upthread was such a sweet, sweet strike. One of the most perfect shots I've ever seen, both for the execution and placement. (The subject of your avatar scored the equaliser, Foxy).

I saw Bell score for England against the reigning world champions in 1975, albeit a deflected effort.

Comment

I'm slightly too young to remember Colin Bell. My only real memory of him was that he was quite a good Top Trump card, and as a result won a game for my brother against me, leading me to carve "Colin Poo" into our chest of drawers, leading me to get into one hell of a lot of trouble.

Probably deserves to be remembered better, but that's all I've got.

Comment

There was a nice little piece on Tyne Tees news about him yesterday with Dennis Tueart as a talking head. I hadn't realised Bell was quite as local as he was, from Hesleden between Hartlepool and Peterlee.

Comment

Like many here I’m a bit young to remember watching him much, and like many my Dad always said he was really good. He didn’t say that about many players; Heighway springs to mind.

RIP

Comment

Before my time, but The Italian Job was on Film Four last night, which of course features this tribute:

Comment

Working...
                                                  X