Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many EFL Clubs Have Undersoil Heating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many EFL Clubs Have Undersoil Heating?

A few games off today due to frozen pitches, and at least one (Forest Green) very lucky not be abandoned. Don't most clubs have undersoil heating these days?

Forest Green was abondoned due to fog !

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      and at least one (Forest Green) very lucky not be abandoned.
      I thought it was.

Comment

I don't think most do, not as far as I'm aware. It's damned expensive to run, isn't it? So you want to be careful having it. And using it while there nowt coming in? Dunfermline have undersoil heating, they were called off for a frozen pitch today.

Comment

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...ersoil-heating

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I thought it was.
            Ah, now I see, yes, though fog was the official reason and they had chosen to keep playing after HT despite the pitch being rock hard.

Comment

Perhaps they couldn't see how frozen the pitch was !

Comment

We could barely afford pitch covers, let alone undersoil heating.

Comment

I remember a winter game at Walsall in the mid-90s where due to the angle of the sun over the stands, the away end penalty area was still frozen solid getting towards kick-off, despite the rest of the pitch being fine. They had a fire going in an oil drum, such as a group of Great Depression-era hobos might have stood around, which they were moving around to try to defrost the goalmouth. Does anyone still use this type of oversoil heating?

Comment

I don't think we've used over-soil heating, but like Walsall, the quarter of the pitch in front of the away stand gets little to no sun at all and has been the reason we've called games off before.

Comment

Undersoil heating was installed at Adams Park at the same time as they moved to a desso (grass hybrid) pitch, when Wasps were in the ground.

But I've got no idea if it's still operational.

Comment

I seem to remember that when Southampton built St Marys Stadium, they put undersoil heating in. Unfortunately they didn't bother to connect it up, so their games were still called off, making Rupert Lowe look even more of a twat than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                          I seem to remember that when Southampton built St Marys Stadium, they put undersoil heating in. Unfortunately they didn't bother to connect it up, so their games were still called off, making Rupert Lowe look even more of a twat than usual.
                          Was this at the time of the Ted Bates statue?

Comment

We never found out who that was a statue of, but it was definitely NOT Ted Bates

Comment

Working...
                            X