Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games you chose not to attend (and always regretted...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I missed Shrewsbury's only play-off win - the Conference Final in 2004 at the Brittania Stadium (which would have been a new ground too).

In 1996 Shrewsbury played Liverpool.in the FA Cup. The original game was postponed and I decided not to travel back from uni for the rearranged game and gave my ticket away. Shrewsbury lost 4-0 but I still can't really believe I didn't go.

Leave a comment:

• Foot of Astaire's
    replied
    Away to Bayern Munich in the UEFA cup. Credit card was already creaking from other European trips, I had a few jobs to do around the house and embarrassingly, thought I'd watch us in Germany or somewhere similar another time.

I've seen lots of ups and downs following Bolton but missing possibly the clubs highest point to decorate the spare bedroom. It still pains me.

Leave a comment:

• Games you chose not to attend (and always regretted...)

In 2005 I planned the following trip

Wed 25th May - Champions League Final in Istanbul
    Sat 28th May - USA v England in Chicago
    Tue 31st May - Colombia v England in New Jersey

...then on to Toronto via Niagara Falls

I hovered over flight bookings but decided to bin off Istanbul. I'd been to every CL/EC Final since 1992 but, remembering the nerve shredding hunt for tickets in 1999, I decided I couldn't face that again with one of Liverpool or Chelsea getting through (they were paired in the semi final) so I just booked for America

Then a week before I was due to fly, two things happened - West Ham reached the play off final and a friend secured tickets in Istanbul

I almost did it - fly to Istanbul, from there to Chicago, then fly back to Heathrow and on to Cardiff, back to New York evening after the match and arrive just in time for the game in New Jersey next day

In the end I stuck with the original booking, missed one of the greatest European comebacks of all time and West Ham getting promoted - all in favour of two dull and completely forgettable England friendlies

Anyone else made as bad a choice as that?
Working...
X