No announcement yet.

Ozil on the Move: The 2021 Transfer Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben Davies is apparently the answer to Liverpool's defensive problems. 2m quid from Preston. I didn't realise he'd left Spurs. And he hasn't, this is a different Ben Davies, an actual central defender.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
      Ben Davies is apparently the answer to Liverpool's defensive problems. 2m quid from Preston. I didn't realise he'd left Spurs. And he hasn't, this is a different Ben Davies, an actual central defender.
      And before this weekend it seemed that Celtic were in pole position to sign him.

Comment

More a cheap stopgap than the answer, presumably. Though maybe he will prove me (and many others assuming the same) wrong. Good luck to him. I guess...

Comment

Lennell John-Lewis has rejoined Grimsby Town from Hereford https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/new...turns-to-town/ - maybe Hurst can coax Nathan Arnold away from managing Bourne Town next?

Comment

Meanwhile Lincoln have let go Welsh U21 right back Aaron Lewis. He played sparingly, occasionally getting game time in cups. It's a shame, because I think he is a decent player, and I would have preferred to have seen him play over Neal Eardley. He was never really in Michael Appleton's plans sadly and TJ Eyoma is an absolutely brilliant young player. Lewis was loaned to Newport earlier this season but didn't get much game time there either. I hope he finds his feet at some league club though, or National League side with aspirations of playing league football next year.

Comment

Winston Reid goes on loan from West Ham to Brentford. I genuinely didn't think he was still at West Ham, I haven't noticed him for a while. I used to think he was a very good defender and one that could get a place at any top PL side. Hope it works out for him

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                Winston Reid goes on loan from West Ham to Brentford. I genuinely didn't think he was still at West Ham, I haven't noticed him for a while. I used to think he was a very good defender and one that could get a place at any top PL side. Hope it works out for him
                Long-term injury, loaned out to MLS, came back, couldn't get in the team.

In more parochial news... we've signed Tyler French, a CB/RB from Bradford and Dior Angus, the now former Barrow striker. It's weird that we've actually signed two players who seem to have been playing regularly in League Two this season, instead of our usual method of trying to find rough diamonds in the divisions below.

Comment

Cheltenham have signed Callum Wright from Leicester on loan until the end of the season. Know nothing of the lad whatsoever.

We're also set to sign a permanent striker - rumours of Nicky Maynard from Mansfield, but I honestly have no real idea

Comment

Sunderland have released Danny Graham, his goalscoring record across two spells there (1 in 51) a marginal improvement on that of Mart Poom (1 in 58).

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                      Lincoln have signed Regan Poole on a permanent deal from Franchise. Suppose he'll act as cover for TJ Eyoma at right back, but may very well be his replacement next season (assuming he goes back to Spurs), or play at centre back.
                      OH FOR FUCK SAKE THAT MEANS I'M GOING TO HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON LINCOLN RESULTS NOW IS IT. FUCKING HELL.

No, seriously, he's a Grangetown boy. Hope he does well for you. Very glad he's not at franchise any more.

Comment

Lennell John-Lewis has rejoined Grimsby Town from Hereford https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/new...turns-to-town/ - maybe Hurst can coax Nathan Arnold away from managing Bourne Town next?
                        His name is a shop
                        His name is a sho-o-op
                        Lennell John-Lewis
                        His name is a shop

Comment

Jonny Williams (somehow still only 27) signs for Tan Utd until the end of the season when his Charlton contract would have elapsed.

I'm happy from a Wales perspective that he's playing at a higher level but hope he gets games and Mick Mac doesn't break him (though they have history at Ipswich).

Comment

Liverpool get Kabak on loan till the end of the season, and the weirdness of not using Minamino (did he refuse to take the special juice?) temporarily solved by loaning him to Southampton. So cover for defence finally, f-all again for up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                              Know nothing of the lad whatsoever.
                              I hadn't heard of him till today, but I do now know he was captain of our U23s.

Ex-Leicester youth George Taft has gone to Scunthorpe, the old dog.

A good window for Leicester, who managed to offload Demarai Gray to Leverkusen for actual cash, then avoided pointlessly signing Maitland-Niles or Chalobah as was heavily rumoured. Some fans are exercised about not signing a striker, but good ones are hardly ever available in January.

Comment

Imps have signed Cohen Bramall from Colchester United for an undisclosed fee, and let Max Melbourne leave on loan to Walsall. Be interesting what happens at left back because Tayo Edun has grown into that left back slot and made it his own (there were 3 players vying for the position at start of season). Not sure what's happened with Sean Roughan. He did start a few games at left back, and played centre half in one of the Pizza Trophy games, but not seen him in the squad for weeks and thought he'd be offered on loan somewhere. Guess he's playing for the u-18s?

Might be one more signing. Always seem that City leave it late to announce these.

Comment

Just as the window closes gently (instead of being "slammed shut" as it usually is) QPR sign Sam Field from WBA. Loan with an option to buy at season's end. We definitely need a CM, could work for all parties.

Comment

In addition to Seattle's Jordan Morris earlier, Swansea loan in Paul Arriola from DC United, option to buy still being negotiated.

Barnsley loan in Daryl Dike from Orlando City, with a purchase fee of $20M (don't laugh it's real) for 80% of his rights. If you believe in family pedigree, his older brother and sister are both former Nigerian internationals.

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
                                      At the end of the transfer window in October I collated a list of players at current Premier League clubs who were loaned out in 2019-20 (plus a few 18-19 loanees still on their club's fringes) who hadn't got a loan this season.
                                      (Quote trimmed, see full post for key etc)

And at the end of the window, a fair number have departed. Below I've deleted anyone who'd started league matches this season prior to my original post, bolded anyone who is still at the club and struck-through anyone who's left permanently. Everyone else has been loaned out again.

Arsenal: William Saliba*~ (01^)
                                      Aston Villa: Lovre Kalinic~ (GK, 90^)
                                      Brighton: Florin Andone (93^), Jayson Molumby!~ (99v), Max Sanders! (99^), Christian Walton (GK, 95v)
                                      Burnley: Anthony Glennon! (99v)
                                      Chelsea: Charlie Brown (99v), Danny Drinkwater (90^), Charly Musonda (96v), Baba Rahman (94^), Dujon Sterling (99v)
                                      C Palace: Scott Banks* (01v), Nya Kirby!+ (00^), Connor Wickham (93^), Sam Woods! (98v)
                                      Everton: Beni Baningime+ (98v), Muhamed Besic (92v), Yannick Bolasie (89^), Josh Bowler (99^), Nathan Broadhead (98^), Jonas Lossl (GK 89^), Matthew Pennington~ (94v), Cenk Tosun! (91^), Joao Virginia (GK, 99v)
                                      Fulham: Fabri (GK 87v), Jean Michael Seri! (91^)
                                      Leeds: Ouasim Bouy+ (93^), Jay-Roy Grot (98^), Conor Shaughnessy (96^)
                                      Leicester: Admiral Muskwe~ (98^), Layton Ndukwu (98v), Islam Slimani! (88^)
                                      Liverpool: Liam Millar~ (99v)
                                      Man City: Claudio Gomes (00^), Philippe Sandler (97^), Collins Tanor+ (98^)
                                      Man Utd: Marcos Rojo (90^)
                                      Newcastle: Rolando Aarons (95v), Achraf Lazaar (92^), Henri Saivet+ (90v)
                                      Southampton: Sam McQueen+ (95^), Kayne Ramsay (00v), Callum Slattery (99^)
                                      Tottenham: Jack Clarke (00v), Anthony Georgiou (97^), George Marsh (98v), Danny Rose (90^)
                                      West Brom: Sam Field! (98^)
                                      West Ham: Oladapo Afolayan (97v), Aji Alese! (01^), Conor Coventry! (00^), Nathan Holland (98^), Nathan Trott (GK, 98v)
                                      Wolves: Sadou Diallo (99^), Luke Matheson* (02v), Roderick (91^)

n.b. Jon-Joe Kenny (Everton) and Aboubakar Kamara (Fulham), who have started league games this season and were on the original list, also went out on loan today. Andone (Brighton) and Musonda (Chelsea) are currently injured, there may be others.

Meanwhile Not The Top Twenty podcast reckon Watford are the only EFL club without a loanee in their squad, while 12 of the 72 have more loanees than it's permissible to name in a matchday squad.

EDIT 9.2.21: Rojo left United for Boca Juniors on 2 February, while Lazaar was released by Newcastle by mutual consent on 4 February. Of those remaining at their clubs, Charly Musonda (Chelsea), Nathan Broadhead (Everton), Ouasim Bouy (Leeds), Layton Ndukwu (Leicester), Collins Tanor (Manchester City), Henri Saivet (Newcastle), George Marsh and Danny Rose (both Tottenham) were too old for their side's under-21 list and didn't make their 25-man Premier League squad.
                                      Last edited by JM Footzee; 09-02-2021, 01:44.

Comment

Along with Taft making his loan deal permanent (Taft sent a farewell message thanking Bolton fans for making him so welcome. He did not play a game in front of fans for them), Scunny have made yet another loan signing (isn't there a maximum for the season) in right back Teddy Howe from Blackpool reserves.
                                        No relation to Eddie, or Geoffrey, but happily he is Don Howe's great-nephew. His only league experience is at Reading, where coincidentally his father is a director.

Comment

Henri Saivet, on JM's list at Newcastle, was a solid 50 goal a season merchant one of the championship managers. It didn't quite turn out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                            In addition to Seattle's Jordan Morris earlier, Swansea loan in Paul Arriola from DC United, option to buy still being negotiated.

Barnsley loan in Daryl Dike from Orlando City, with a purchase fee of $20M (don't laugh it's real) for 80% of his rights. If you believe in family pedigree, his older brother and sister are both former Nigerian internationals.
                                            Jordan Morris is a weird one, apparently there's no loan fee involved and we're paying part of his wages. Arriola was on and then definitely off yesterday before it was finally confirmed. I'm presuming our DC United connections got us this one.

So are they any good? Would be nice to get an OTFer's view.

Comment

This thing of the loaner club paying loanees' wages: has it always happened?

Comment

AFAIK it's always been a negotiation between the clubs, and it depends on the motive for the loan - are you loaning out the player to reduce wages, to get that player some meaningful match practice, or with a view to a permanent deal?

Comment

Imps have signed Cohen Bramall from Colchester United for an undisclosed fee, and let Max Melbourne leave on loan to Walsall. Be interesting what happens at left back because Tayo Edun has grown into that left back slot and made it his own (there were 3 players vying for the position at start of season). Not sure what's happened with Sean Roughan. He did start a few games at left back, and played centre half in one of the Pizza Trophy games, but not seen him in the squad for weeks and thought he'd be offered on loan somewhere. Guess he's playing for the u-18s?

Might be one more signing. Always seem that City leave it late to announce these.
                                                  Max Sanders signed just before the window slammed shut (sorry, 'closed'). 22 year old midfielder from Brighton, signed permanently. Appleton did say that he was looking to get players in permanently and not rely on loans so much, and that has been the case with these most recent signings. All in all, a pretty good window. Jorge Grant signing a new deal (now practice penalties please), Morgan Rogers joining on loan from Man City, Brennan Johnson staying with us and three permanent signings. We still need a fit centre forward as back up for Tom Hopper, but I assume that Callum Morton is nearing fitness and will provide that.

Comment

Sanders was impressive on loan at Wimbledon last season, though should score more goals.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X