Ozil on the Move: The 2021 Transfer Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Sanders was impressive on loan at Wimbledon last season, though should score more goals.
    Reading about him it seemed to me that he has been employed more of a holding midfielder, rather than someone likely to get in the box. Anyway, have plenty competition now for central midfield.

Comment

He certainly played centrally but had opportunities to get forward in The Dons' 3-5-2. His one goal was a cracker though :

Comment

Marcus Rojo signs for Boca Juniors. A sad day for me. Rojo was my favourite of all our perma-injured shit defenders. Every time he played, something happened. That might have been a knee high challenge, a rabona clearance, a shot from 40 yards that went nowhere near the goal. It was never dull.

He was In the away end against City in the league Cup semi final last season. A couple of years before, he got stuck into them after the final whistle, leading to the papers to describe him as bare-chested and marauding. We should have a statue of him, shirt off, fists clenched, eyes bulging, in the away dressing room.

I hope he does well at Boca. Good luck to all River Plate forwards should he ever play against them.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55905232

Marseille signed Olivier Ntcham from Celtic last night. Deal was a loan until the summer, with a ?4.5million fee to make the deal permanent.

AVB didnt want the player and has this morning offered his resignation to the Marseille board in protest.

Comment

Another of my fascinating lists - players who were loaned out from Premier League clubs this season, came back and didn't make it out again prior to the closure of the window. This is slightly dependent on Wikipedia editors editing loan sections in the season articles to acknowledge curtailed loans, but so it goes.

Arsenal: Zak Swanson (MVV Maastricht), Trae Coyle (Gillingham), Dejan Iliev (Shrewsbury), Tolaji Bola (Rochdale)
            Brighton: Percy Tau (Anderlecht), Tom McGill (Crawley), Michal Karbownik (Legia Warsaw), Jakub Moder (Lech Poznan)
            Chelsea: Teddy Sharman-Lowe (Burton), George McEachran (Maastricht)
            Fulham: Martell Taylor-Crossdale (Colchester), Jerome Opoku (Plymouth)
            Leicester: Mitch Clark (Port Vale), Sam Hughes (Burton)
            Liverpool: Ben Woodburn (Blackpool)
            Manchester City: Yeboah Amankwah (Rochdale)
            Manchester United: Matej Kovar (Swindon)
            Newcastle: Jake Turner (Morecambe), Thomas Allan (Accrington)
            Sheffield United: Marcus Dewhurst (Carlisle)
            West Brom: Jamie Soule (Lincoln)
            Wolves: Morgan Gibbs-White (Swansea), Renat Dadashov (Grasshopper), Austin Samuels (Bradford)

n.b. National League and lower loans not included for sake of speed again.

EDIT (17.2.21): Dylan Levitt (Charlton) removed from Manchester United after he was loaned to Croatian side Istra on 15 February. At Wolves, swapped out Ruben Vinagre (Olympiakos) for Dadashov - latter's return with a season-ending injury hadn't been added to Wikipedia at this point and missed former's loan to Famalicao.
            Last edited by JM Footzee; 17-02-2021, 00:44.

Comment

Liverpool got another CD, Ozan Kabak, on loan from Schalke. He's a decent enough player who one day will be do a good job for West Ham. But Klopp getting him and Davies doesn't suggest that we'll see much of van Dijk and/or Gomez this season.

Schalke are the lucky winners of a used Mustafi.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Jordan Morris is a weird one, apparently there's no loan fee involved and we're paying part of his wages. Arriola was on and then definitely off yesterday before it was finally confirmed. I'm presuming our DC United connections got us this one.

So are they any good? Would be nice to get an OTFer's view.
                Morris is a bit of a story. He got his first caps under Jurgen K., while still an amateur, playing college ball for Stanford, after Stanford scrimmaged the national team and Jurgen fell in love. He's spent a few seasons with Seattle as a pro after leaving college, turning down a contract from Bremen after a trial after leaving school in favor of the Sounders-he's a Seattle area local and his father is the Sounders chief doctor. He's a reasonably decent player; Seattle if I am recalling correctly liked to play him top right in a 4-3-3 and have him run at people. I suspect he's going to be wither your second striker or first attacking sub. He scored 35 in 105 for Seattle, 10 in 39 for the US.

Arriola's a Californian, from the same youth soccer club that produced Carlos Bocanegra. He's an attacking midfielder, to me at least, but the consensus here is that Swansea wants him to be a wingback. Before DC bought him, he had 4 seasons with Xolos de Tijuana in Liga MX. He'll also be fresh-he missed all but the last game of 2020 after tearing an ACL in preseason. I think he'd do better the closer to goal he plays, but he's never really had to defend that much, so I'm not sure how being an attaching wingback would work out. Please don't break him.

Comment

Thanks jefe Morris has come on twice in a very similar role to what you described, we play 5-3-2 or 5-2-3 with the wing backs really more in midfield. He's looked decent and should have won us a penalty but the referee took pity on Norwich. Arriola is indeed being touted as a wing back to provide cover for Connor Roberts, he'll get much less game time.

Comment

Working...
                  X