What's Up, Doc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    Just looked up the Man U team from the 1977 Cup Final and it must be close to the archetypal Doc team. From memory Albiston was a relative newbie, so who would have been in that position previously? I remember this game well; my Dad always went for Liverpool but I was rooting for the entertainers. I can picture Pearson’s opener in my mind but will have to check my memory on YT.

1. Alex Stepney
    2. Jimmy Nicholl
    3. Arthur Albiston
    4. Sammy McIlroy
    5. Brian Greenhoff
    6. Martin Buchan (c)
    7. Steve Coppell
    8. Jimmy Greenhoff
    9. Stuart Peason
    10. Lou Macari
    11. Gordon Hill

Sub: David McCreery (81, Hill)

Actually another recollection - was McCreery the first ever sub used in an FA Cup final?

Lovely team
    Albiston came in for Stuart Houston, who broke his leg against Bristol City a couple of weeks before the final. He offered Houston his winners medal after the game but was refused. I remember this when I can't remember games from a month ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      Welcome to OTF, Tommasi.
      This.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Albiston came in for Stuart Houston, who broke his leg against Bristol City a couple of weeks before the final. He offered Houston his winners medal after the game but was refused. I remember this when I can't remember games from a month ago now.
        Of course, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
          Just looked up the Man U team from the 1977 Cup Final and it must be close to the archetypal Doc team. From memory Albiston was a relative newbie, so who would have been in that position previously? I remember this game well; my Dad always went for Liverpool but I was rooting for the entertainers. I can picture Pearson’s opener in my mind but will have to check my memory on YT.

1. Alex Stepney
          2. Jimmy Nicholl
          3. Arthur Albiston
          4. Sammy McIlroy
          5. Brian Greenhoff
          6. Martin Buchan (c)
          7. Steve Coppell
          8. Jimmy Greenhoff
          9. Stuart Peason
          10. Lou Macari
          11. Gordon Hill

Sub: David McCreery (81, Hill)

Actually another recollection - was McCreery the first ever sub used in an FA Cup final?

Lovely team
          Gerry Daly was a regular until being sold halfway through the season.

The first FA Cup final sub was Dennis Clarke for WVA in 1968.
          Last edited by Sporting; 01-01-2021, 18:09.

Comment

The Doc nearly went to prison in 1979 for perjury, when he admitted he’d lied under oath during Willie Morgan’s libel trial against him.

Morgan sued The Doc because he’d told Willie Morgan he didn’t need to go on a Post-Season tour to Australia due to some type of injury Morgan was suffering from, then after the squad had departed, Morgan opened a newspaper that said he was being put on the transfer list for refusing to go on the club tour of Australia!

As well as Willie Morgan, Denis Law was lied to, apparently, about being placed on the transfer list when The Doc told him he was being retained.

There was also another time when The Doc said all Managers had to be cheats & liars to succeed in football management, which went down like a lead balloon with Ron Saunders.

Comment

Why, particularly, Ron Saunders?

Comment

Because Ron Saunders said he was honest with his players, told them the truth whether they liked it or not & he’d won more than The Doc.

Looking at their records, Ron Saunders won the League (in 1981), as well as a couple of promotions from Division 2 to 1.

After the Heysel disaster in 1985, Saunders formed an organization called “Save our Society, so it looks like he was at least consistent in what he said.

There was also a “difference of opinion” between The Doc & George Best over his departure from Man. Utd.

Comment

Originally posted by Mockswing View Post
                  The Doc nearly went to prison in 1979 for perjury, when he admitted he’d lied under oath during Willie Morgan’s libel trial against him.

Morgan sued The Doc because he’d told Willie Morgan he didn’t need to go on a Post-Season tour to Australia due to some type of injury Morgan was suffering from, then after the squad had departed, Morgan opened a newspaper that said he was being put on the transfer list for refusing to go on the club tour of Australia!
                  Thanks for that Mockswing . I was only a young lad at the time but I'd remembered it as the Doc suing Morgan after Willie said on Granada TV, Utd wouldn't win anything while he was still in charge.

The Docs infidelity came out in the trial, causing it to collapse. Is that right?

Comment

No, The Doc’s infidelity came out some time between Man Utd. winning the Cup in May 1977 & about a month later.

Morgan sued The Doc in 1975 or 1976 because of the supposed damage to his reputation caused by being branded a trouble-maker or being uncooperative when The Doc told the newspapers Morgan had refused to go on the club tour. It took 2 or 3 years for the case to come to trial, so the case would’ve been ongoing when the infidelity came to light.

Looking at the records, it must have been the close season (May/June 1975) when the club went on the post-season tour, unlike today, when it’s Pre-Season tours.

Comment

Working...
                    X