Brexit and the January transfer window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit and the January transfer window

From 11pm on December 31st, the UK leaves the EU transitional arrangements. A spin-off of that is that, for the purposes of signing any non-British players, they must meet the Home Office's exemption criteria to obtain a UK work permit. This is as it is now for signing players from outside the EU, but will now apply to all EU countries as well. For footballers, the criteria are to have played at least 30% of a FIFA top ten country's internationals in the last 12 months, rising up to 70% of the internationals of a country ranked outside FIFA's top 30.

There will be an 'exceptions panel' to judge individual applications outside this, but it looks like it will make it a lot harder to sign up and coming French or Spanish players if they've not really broken into their national teams yet. I don't know how the regulations will apply to Irish players, as I thought the UK had a separate freedom of employment agreement with the Republic that stands alone from the rest of the world but not sure how that applies here.

Yes, the UK parliament passed a law this year to reconfirm the status of Irish citizens resident in the UK as automatically "settled" in the country upon arrival. No visas or work permits required, in other words.

Irish passport now the most useful in Europe, as it provides free movement throughout the EU and UK.

Comment

Yes, but they still can't sign any Irish (Republic) player aged under 18:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...ly-to-ireland/

Comment

As well as players, I wonder what the new criteria are for managers? Would Jurgen get a work permit now? Actually I assume he would if OGS got one, as Norway isn't in the EU.

Comment

The players get points for "prestige of league and club", so Klopp would be grand, and Solskjaer presumably for winning national titles.

Comment

In recent weeks it's been clear when the Sheffield Star has no news on Wednesday to report because they've written articles about how we probably won't be able to sign Pierre van Hooijdonks' son. The idea that he'd be unlikely to want to sign for us doesn't come into these articles.

Comment

I imagine Klopp would be able to claim to be a leading figure in his field, pointing to his league title win and Champions League final appearance with Dortmund. Watford might find it more difficult when they next try to bring in someone whose previous job has been somewhere like Anorthosis or Sherif Tiraspol.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                I imagine Watford might find it more difficult when they next try to bring in someone whose previous job has been somewhere like Anorthosis or Sherif Tiraspol.
                Brain dead, total amnesia
                Get some coach from Anorthosia
                Stay up like the prices at Xmas
                Motorhead, remember me now Motorhead

Comment

Will it also increase the transfer price of foreign players given their greater rarity?

Comment

Yes, but then their limited supply is going to also increase the price of cheap domestic substitutes. Jack Grealish is going to cost ?100m in the new year sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      Yes, but then their limited supply is going to also increase the price of cheap domestic substitutes. Jack Grealish is going to cost ?100m in the new year sales.
                      I love the way that various newspapers have decided that Man utd, Man City, and Liverpool have all simultaneously decided that they need to spend next years transfer budget on replacing Rashford, Sterling and Mane. with someone more....

At the risk of setting TG off on a bout of nostalgic reverie, there was a picture floating around that would suggest that Jack Grealish has no interest in being the Brexit great white hope, but what can you do.

Comment

What?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 04-01-2021, 09:51.

Comment

Karmic justice.

Comment

Of course he wouldn't see any connection between the two.

Comment

The Brexit he voted for would have contained an exemption for uncapped Europeans going cheap, i.e. he somehow thought football wasn't part of real life.

Comment

He's basically got the mindset of a Costa del Sol based gammon OAP.

Comment

I think once the country knows what they're doing, it will be straightforward (to make signings).

Any transfer window is difficult for me, not just this one. I don't know why politicians don't do what the country wants, if I'm honest.

They had a referendum and now we see different politicians and everyone else trying to put their foot in it. Why did we have a referendum in the first bloody place?

I can't wait to get out of it, if I'm honest. I think we'll be far better out of the bloody thing.

In every aspect. Football-wise as well, absolutely. To hell with the rest of the world.
                                        Big Sam and Colin, football's Statler and Waldorf. Although Allardyce and Warnock are definitely bigger Muppets.

Comment

Ian Holloway was another vocal Brexiteer.

Comment

Funny how it's always exactly the ones you'd expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                              Funny how it's always exactly the ones you'd expect.
                                              Except Jeremy Clarkson. I know it's a football thread.

Comment

Working...
                                              X