Welling up with new tiers: match going thread 15-20 December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Great picture, did it go in? It looks like it might hit the bar.
    Hit the bar and came down on or possibly even over the line. It certainly looked more like a goal than one given to them in the second half.

Comment

United Services Portsmouth 3 Millbrook 2
      FA Vase, Third Round
      Victory Stadium, HMS Temeraire

I'm reasonably sure that this was the first game I've ever attended on a military base, UPS's home being the Royal Navy's physical education centre near Portsmouth's seafront. I was actually prevented from taking a photo of the sign at the entrance to the base by the guard "under MOD rules".

This was already the home team's best run in the Vase and I'd seen them defeat higher level Bournemouth FC in the First Round as my last game before November's lockdown (though that was at AFC Porchester's grounds due to practical problems with hosting it on the base).

The crowd was meant to be limited to 150 but I heard a comment that advance sales had topped 220 and there seemed even more than that in the ground. Most of them were in the one big stand and almost all unmasked so I went over to the banking on the far side which afforded a much better view of the waterfront skyline as well as plenty of space between the scattered spectators willing to brave the elements.

The game started with a bang as UPS were awarded a penalty within 20 seconds when their centre forward as barged over chasing a deep pass in the first attack of the match. There was an argument that a red card should have followed but the referee bottles awarding one at such an early stage. The early goal really opened up the game and both sides traded flowing attacking football throughout the rest of the first half that wasn't impaired by the intense hailstorm that drenched the ground (and me) just before half time.

The hosts opened up the second half with a goal too when a partially-cleared free kick was curled home from long range in the 47th minute. They then added a third via a simple centre-half's header from a corner around the hour mark. The tie seemed to be drifting to a close until the injury time board went up to signal four added minutes and the visitors immediately pulled one back when their number 10 forced home a ball that had been ricocheting around the box. That triggered a frantic finale and when the same player scored a close range diving header two minutes later it went crazy, Millbrook forcing continuous pressure for the final few minutes but unable to create an equaliser.

The final whistle saw quite a few home players go over the top celebrating in their opponents faces and a bit of a melee ensued which both benches (and a few home supporters, it seemed) joined in with but luckily the officials and some stewards seemed to get it under control before any punches were thrown.

A good way to (unexpectedly, given the half time news) finish my matchgoing year. I hope it won't be too long in to 2021 before I get the chance to see some more football.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-12-2020, 15:48.

Comment

Great backdrop for the pic, RdG.

Comment

I won't pretend that the setting wasn't a spur to visit there, as well as the general oddness of the club and ground.

Comment

Went to three matches over the weekend. On Saturday morning I watched a game in the West Cheshire League's youth division between Maghull and Litherland REMYCA. This was played in Kirkby on playing fields adjacent to the Liverpool Academy. This was a game that both sides came out of wondering how they didn't win yet also glad to have not lost - Maghull scored twice in the last three minutes to take a 4-3 lead but then scored an own goal with the game's last action to make the final score 4-4.

From Kirkby I went to Warrington and the Warrington Sports Club on the south western edge of the town. This appears to be primarily set up for cricket, with two grounds on different levels but with football allowed on the outfield in the winter. The Warrington & District League stopped its regular season a couple of months ago and split up into separate competitions for each of the different council areas. Thus today's game between Sankey Vale and The Village Club was in Warrington Section A. A good game with The Village getting a deserved 3-1 win.

Yesterday I watched BRNESC play Woolton in the Liverpool Women's League. This was my second high scoring draw of the weekend, this time 3-3, with the pitch just about holding up in mixed weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
              On Saturday morning I watched a game in the West Cheshire League's youth division between Maghull and Litherland REMYCA. This was played in Kirkby
              Commonly mispronouced places on Merseyside:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...place-17356979

Some of them seem easy to me, but maybe that's due to having lived in the area for four years, including a year in Maghull.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

How did this 'behind closed doors' thing work as one of my best mates was there. I presume then because his lad was on the bench for Bath.
                I am a Supporters Society Committee member and, as the Supporters Society are the largest shareholder, I represent the major shareholder and, as such, am one step below a director. Up until recently, we have been getting one Committee member in per match on a rota system. However, as the council have fucked us over on letting supporters in, they have decided to invite all of us. As I say, it was quite interesting to watch the first match as I needed to gen up on the players we have signed. The novelty was starting to wilt on Saturday so I will see what the situation is as far as future matches are concerned.

Who is your mate's son?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Who is your mate's son?
                  Mackenzie Welsh - sub goalie.

Comment

Oh, aye, he is getting a chance on the bench as our first choice keeper is out so our reserve keeper is getting a regular run out presently. He's one of our Under 18s.

Comment

Working...
                    X