Welling up with new tiers: match going thread 15-20 December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welling up with new tiers: match going thread 15-20 December

Rather than have another night in the flat, I'm off to watch Welling United play Oxford City in the FA Trophy; hoping they've kept their capacity lower than Dulwich's was last Tuesday.

Welling United 0-2 Oxford City
    FA Trophy

If you've not been there before, Park View Road is a good ground to watch football in; quirky (it has two main stands belonging to two different clubs) and boasts decent vantage points with terracing behind each goal. It could benefit from a bit of a facelift though, as the terracing is so undulating and crumbling in parts that you can't really move about the place without very carefully watching your step. Mercifully, and as hoped, there were much less people than I'd experienced at Dulwich last week.

As for the game, that was really good too; enjoyable, evenly contested... until Oxford scored their second goal just before the hour mark, then Welling seemed to give up. Both sides looked to play football in the first half and Welling had some impressive looking players in midfield in particular, including ex-most-of-the-EFL-and-Motherwell winger Lionel Ainsworth. But City took the lead just before half-time as their left winger cut in from the touchline and timed his right foot shot from the edge of the box perfectly to find the bottom corner. Contrastingly the second goal that killed the game off was bundled/trundled in from a corner where Welling not so much switched off, as switched off, pulled out the plug, and put themselves up in the attic. And that was pretty much that.

Lastly, no idea who the referee was, but he was excellent.

Comment

Carlisle 1-0 Mansfield, the Carlisle promotion bandwagon going through another gear in a more challenging match than Saturday's encounter with Stevenage. Back to ifollow on Saturday for a promotion six-pointer at Forest Green.

Comment

Also Carlisle 1-0 Mansfield, but from the opposite side of the pitch (which, it's taken two and a bit games to notice, has been narrowed by a few feet this season, presumably to aid Josh Kayode's prodigious long throws).

Missing impressive right back George Tanner (injured by some clumsy Stevenage oaf at the weekend), we put teenage left back Jack Armer in on the right for his league debut, while ex-Bradford midfielder Joe Riley replaced injured ex-Bradford midfielder Danny Devine. Riley had a real game, every time I saw him he was winning the ball and looking to shoot. Also very impressive displays from wily Lewis Alessandra and winger Omari Patrick, who scored the winner with a fantastic two touch effort late in the first half.

This team has already exceeded my expectations for the season and is becoming a joy to watch. There's real team spirit there too, they've got each other's backs - as typified when one of the Mansfield players, emboldened by the referee's continuing failure to give a free kick for any push or manhandling of our players, decided to see if he could get away with some sort of wrestling throw to deck Kayode and all our players, led by Rhys Bennett steamed in to have a word. Typifying the shocking performance by the ref he booked Bennett and didn't produce a card for the initial foul.

I won't be the first (or last) fan this season who observes that we'd actually have been better off with the other Peter Wright officiating, cos the one who's qualified to do so will only spoil the game and raise everyone's blood pressure. On the plus side, it's been a tough couple of weeks at work so the opportunity for an extensive sweary shouting session (even through a mask) was probably good for me.

Comment

I took the family to the panto last night and am taking them to the movies tonight so no midweek games for me this week. Still not sure where I will go at the weekend as I want to peruse the Trophy fixtures (as they're moving through the rounds at breakneck speed) and see what other leagues are having fixtures.

I mainly wanted to pop on the thread and applaud the title.

Comment

I love the roof over the far end at Carlisle.

Comment

Witton Albion 2-5 Nantwich Town
              FA Trophy 2nd Round

From two decent grounds to a drab, soulless affair dumped at the arse end of an industrial estate a mile or so out of Northwich. Obviously I shouldn't have been there at all but I justified my visit on the basis the covid rate in Tier 2 Cheshire East is higher than where I live in Tier 3 Trafford and the fact that the chances of me either passing on or receiving the virus while social-distancing at a non-league football game is as close to zero as you can get.

So, rubbish ground but fine game. Maybe it's because the last two games I've seen have been at step 7 but I thought the quality of football on show was top drawer. The form book led me to expect the home side to edge a much tighter affair. They certainly started the brighter, their no.9 giving them the lead with a sharp finish following hesitant defending. Better teams than Nantwich (in green) have been punished for an insistence on bringing the ball out from defence and it looked for a while as though Witton's high press would reap further reward but slowly the Dabbers (dunno!) clawed their way into the game and two excellent left foot strikes from their own no.9, one from just inside, the other just outside the box gave them a deserved half time lead.

The second half was one-way traffic with the Nantwich midfield in total control. A towering header from a corner made it 3-1 shortly after the break. Man of the match, Luke Walsh slipped a delicious ball through the Witton defence to set up the fourth and capped off his night with a cute chip on 90 minutes leaving just enough time for Witton to grab a second goal themselves.

Hereford at home for Nantwich on Saturday. I'd go but I'm, er, not allowed.

Last edited by Artificial Hipster; 16-12-2020, 14:44.

Comment

Cheltenham 0-1 Bolton

No escaping the fact that Cheltenham were a bag of shite and Bolton weren't much better. The game was petering to a 0-0 bore draw when with a last second corner Bolton's number 6 was given the freedom of the whole of Cheltenham to pick his spot. The fact he hit it straight at our keeper who somehow let it squirm through him summed up just how shite the whole evening had been.

Still, it was funny watching some of our fans lose their shit because a sole Bolton fan had managed to acquire a ticket and celebrated like they'd won the World Cup.

Oh how the mighty have fallen, from drawing at Bayern Munich in Europe to celebrating a last minute winner against the mighty Cheltenham Town.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                  Cheltenham 0-1 Bolton

No escaping the fact that Cheltenham were a bag of shite and Bolton weren't much better. The game was petering to a 0-0 bore draw when with a last second corner Bolton's number 6 was given the freedom of the whole of Cheltenham to pick his spot. The fact he hit it straight at our keeper who somehow let it squirm through him summed up just how shite the whole evening had been.

Still, it was funny watching some of our fans lose their shit because a sole Bolton fan had managed to acquire a ticket and celebrated like they'd won the World Cup.

Oh how the mighty have fallen, from drawing at Bayern Munich in Europe to celebrating a last minute winner against the mighty Cheltenham Town.
                  Mighty? I'll take that!

I wondered whether you was there last night. Your assessment tallies with what most of our lot were saying on Twitter. 2 sides playing poorly with 0-0 written all over it. From our point of view it was nice to see us grind out a performance and win like that. We haven't been keeping clean sheets and there's been question marks about the players stomach for a fight.

I understand there was around a dozen locally based Wanderers fans dotted around the stadium and that was due to remaining tickets going on open sale? I found that surprising, if true.

Comment

The capacity was 1,685 for last night's game and we have 919 season tickets. A couple of non-season ticket holders pointed out that when they booked their tickets no details other than names were taken so it was very easily done. I can only guess the club naively assumed no Bolton fans would attempt it.

The mighty dig wasn't at you, but against a couple of absolute bellends on a couple of other forums I frequent. I'm not sure why I used it here.

I had no qualms with the Bolton fans in the ground. I'm very laid back in my approach to other fans and, as long as they're not out to cause trouble, then I have absolutely no issue with them celebrating a goal. What was hilarious was someone actually reporting the Bolton fans to the stewards as if they needed pointing out when the goal had been scored and the one lad ran over to where the players were celebrating to do a fist bump with the scorer.

Comment

On Sunday I watched Pilkington's women lose a 9 goal (10 goal according to the referee and nobody else present) thriller. Last night I watched their men's side on the losing side in another match featuring 9 goals, although this wasn't so close as hosts Bootle won 7-2. This was a friendly, so not too much harm for Pilkington but I they have a few things to work on before the league restarts at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                        I won't be the first (or last) fan this season who observes that we'd actually have been better off with the other Peter Wright officiating, cos the one who's qualified to do so will only spoil the game and raise everyone's blood pressure. On the plus side, it's been a tough couple of weeks at work so the opportunity for an extensive sweary shouting session (even through a mask) was probably good for me.
                        Peter Wright was one of my brothers friends at school. I hadn't realised his career had reached this level - I think the last time I saw him was when he was running the line at Morecambe not long after they'd moved.

Comment

I knew he was Merseyside based, He's been on the league list 3 seasons - have seen him before and thought he did ok but he was truly awful last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

The mighty dig wasn't at you, but against a couple of absolute bellends on a couple of other forums I frequent. I'm not sure why I used it here.
                            Oh none taken pal. I enjoyed the mighty tag being applied to us, who are historically, no more than a middling championship level side. I remember you mentioning the other forums before. Sorry about them - I'm sure we have our fair share of em.

Comment

Went to a "Behind Closed Doors" match last night. Due to Bath council being obtuse and not letting us have supporters even though the rugby can, the club expanded more than the usual invited officials of which I was one (no jiggery-pokery, I genuinely am one). It was great to see a match even though it took me a good 30 minutes to work out who our team were, let alone the opposition (Sheringham's son notwithstanding). This was mainly due to fogging up of the glasses meaning intermittent when reading the team sheet.

The match was a lot more entertaining than it needed to be. We played Chelmsford City at their ridiculously proportioned ground on Saturday and won an exciting 4-3 thriller. They were back at us for a Trophy game and we went up 1-0 after 8 minutes and it stayed like that for the first half with us looking on top and like we were going to get the second. However, we always know that we need that second (and, maybe, a third) to make sure. Sure enough, Chelmsford City got one back and then another to take them to 2-1 up. It was one of those evenings when you half thought, "Oh, well, at least I won't have to wait for penalties now on a school night". However, after Chelmsford had a penalty shout denied (which I would have given), we went up the other end and scored to equalise. An own goal by Chelmsford (echoing their opening own goal on Saturday) meant that we ended up, on balance, deserved winners.

Swindon Supermarine at home in the cup on Saturday and still no news of whether there will be supporters. I may take up the invite again if offered but am not sure. It was quite interesting to see a behind closed doors game and, after such a long time and an unfamiliarity with our team, it did allow for complete concentration on the game without the half-pissed bollocks that we all talk during a game. However, it is the half-pissed bollocks that helps make a matchday for me so I don't want to make a habit of going to these sort of games however grateful I was for last night.
                              Last edited by Bored Of Education; 16-12-2020, 19:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                                Welling United 0-2 Oxford City

City took the lead just before half-time as their left winger cut in from the touchline and timed his right foot shot from the edge of the box perfectly to find the bottom corner.
                                Here is said goal. Look out for the bloke on his tod behind the goal applauding it. That's me that is.

https://twitter.com/OxCityFC/status/1339288734391472128?s=20

A trio of photos from the game here too, Welling in red, Oxford in green

Comment

I'm reading your book - excellent work - and have started a thread in Books as a result.

Comment

With most of the current Tier 2 sections of the Home Counties now entering Tier 3 as of 00:01 Saturday planning a game this weekend has just got that bit more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      With most of the current Tier 2 sections of the Home Counties now entering Tier 3 as of 00:01 Saturday planning a game this weekend has just got that bit more complicated.
                                      You're not supposed to travel outside your tier or do anything in a lower tier that you can't do in your tier. I'm wondering about the possibility of watching Concord Rangers by climbing up a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

I'm wondering about the possibility of watching Concord Rangers by climbing up a tree.
                                        Could you not sail back and forth on the Thames estuary?

Comment

A drastically different view for me for my second "behind closed doors" game. Same as Tuesday in many ways. Didn't do an awful lot in the first half but dominated in the second half - helped by the freak weather conditions for 20 minutes or so. Swindon Supermarine could and did feel aggrieved about the free kick that led to the first goal as they were penalised for a handball when the player was so close that he couldn't get his hand out of the way. However, we scored three goals in quick succession to seal the game. A nice FA trophy interlude which hopefully should reboot our league form. However, we are hamstrung by the council seemingly kyboshing us having supporters for a lot longer than initially thought. Added to the fact that away supporters won't be allowed to the derby games over the Christmas period and we are at a real disadvantage. Also, it's always a concern that we rely on good loan players who end up going to back to their own clubs.
                                          Last edited by Bored Of Education; 19-12-2020, 18:52.

Comment

Hackney Wick 1 White Ensign 0
                                            Att: 80 H/C
                                            ?5 admission
                                            Pints of beer being sold from the tea bar

I drove up from Southend to watch this game. It was quite an entertaining game and Red Ensign really should have scored. However the Hackney Wick goalkeeper put in some very good saves as well as having a bit of luck. I was about 15 yards away from the penalty and felt the referee gave the right decision with the penalty being well taken.

I would also like to comment on the tedious Hackney fans. Supporters can bring a real atmosphere to a ground and are the lifeblood of the football. But this was 5 middle aged men mindlessly chanting the same stuff over and over. This sort of thing is as unwelcome in non-league as hooliganism, racism and many other things like it. Fans take note, not every chant is welcome.

Comment

Cheadle Town 4-0 St Martins
                                              NWCFL Division One South

Freak weather in this one too - a game of two halves in fact. The first half took place on a delightful late autumn afternoon, the second half in a monsoon which thankfully eased off before I cycled home. The home side, in red, won both halves 2-0 and it could have been a lot more. The visitors from Oswestry had good reason to complain about two of the goals - the second, right on half time was a penalty that never was and the third didn't seem to cross the line - but they offered nothing going forwards and had a fine display from their keeper to thank for keeping the scoreline just on the right side of embarrassing.

Last edited by Artificial Hipster; 19-12-2020, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                A drastically different view for me for my second "behind closed doors" game. Same as Tuesday in many ways. Didn't do an awful lot in the first half but dominated in the second half - helped by the freak weather conditions for 20 minutes or so. Swindon Supermarine could and did feel aggrieved about the free kick that led to the first goal as they were penalised for a handball when the player was so close that he couldn't get his hand out of the way. However, we scored three goals in quick succession to seal the game. A nice FA trophy interlude which hopefully should reboot our league form. However, we are hamstrung by the council seemingly kyboshing us having supporters for a lot longer than initially thought. Added to the fact that away supporters won't be allowed to the derby games over the Christmas period and we are at a real disadvantage. Also, it's always a concern that we rely on good loan players who end up going to back to their own clubs.
                                                How did this 'behind closed doors' thing work as one of my best mates was there. I presume then because his lad was on the bench for Bath.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                                  Cheadle Town 4-0 St Martins
                                                  NWCFL Division One South

Freak weather in this one too - a game of two halves in fact. The first half took place on a delightful late autumn afternoon, the second half in a monsoon which thankfully eased off before I cycled home. The home side, in red, won both halves 2-0 and it could have been a lot more. The visitors from Oswestry had good reason to complain about two of the goals - the second, right on half time was a penalty that never was and the third didn't seem to cross the line - but they offered nothing going forwards and had a fine display from their keeper to thank for keeping the scoreline just on the right side of embarrassing.

Great picture, did it go in? It looks like it might hit the bar.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X