Champions League knock out stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Champions League knock out stage

Borussia Monchengladbach are in the last 16 for the first time since 1978. Lazio are there too - first time in 20 years. Current Europa League holders Sevilla are in there. Last year's two 'breakout' teams - Atalanta and Red Bull Leipzig - are also through. The rest are your usual suspects.

Here is the draw for the last 16. Teams that finished 1st in their group play the first leg away from home:

Borussia Monchengladbach v Manchester City

Lazio v Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea

RB Leipzig v Liverpool

Porto v Juventus

Barcelona v Paris St-Germain

Sevilla v Borussia Dortmund

Atalanta v Real Madrid

Using oddschecker, here is the list of teams from favourite (Bayern Munich) to rank outsider (Porto).

1. Bayern Munich.
    2. Man City
    3. Liverpool
    4. Juventus
    5. Paris St-Germain
    6. Real Madrid
    7. Chelsea
    8. Barcelona
    9. Atletico Madrid
    10. Borussia Dortmund
    11. Red Bull Leipzig
    12. Sevilla
    13. Atalanta
    14. Borussia Monchengladbach
    15. Lazio
    16. Porto

It's hard to see past Bayern Munich. They have already tonked Atleti - the best team in Spain this season - 4-0 in the group stage. I would love to see Borussia Monchengladbach do well. Here's hoping Borussia Dortmund don't come after their manager, having just sacked theirs.

Thomas Tuchel back to Dortmund?

Anyway, Liverpool are going to struggle with Leipzig, I think. Injuries and poor form are going to weigh heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
      Thomas Tuchel back to Dortmund?

Anyway, Liverpool are going to struggle with Leipzig, I think. Injuries and poor form are going to weigh heavy.
      Has that been mooted or is that just a hunch, Toby?

Incidentally, if Bayern do win this year, they will draw level with AC Milan in terms of European Cups won.

Comment

I suppose Paris St.Germain are favourites against Barcelona this time around. I haven't really followed the Spanish league carefully this autumn, but have noticed that Barcelona are miles behind in the race. Anyway, an early exit will be a disaster for both clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Just me dicking about but I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

here is the list of teams from favourite (Bayern Munich) to rank outsider (Porto).
            Ugh. So that makes:
            - 4 German teams
            - 3 English teams
            - 3 Italian teams
            - 1 French team
            - 4 Spanish teams
            - 1 Portuguese team

How fucking boring. Under a different draw, and assuming that Internazionale and Manchester United wouldn't have shat the bed, we would have had a clean four-country round of sixteen.

I'm going back to watch the highlights of the last three Champions League seasons when only proper Champions were allowed in. Olympiacos and Rosenborg in the knockout phase, Ajax winning the whole thing and demolishing Real Madrid the next season, Lars Ricken being on top of the world at age 20. Bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
              I'm going back to watch the highlights of the last three Champions League seasons when only proper Champions were allowed in.

Sadly, my foremost memory of those three years is not of that great Ajax side but instead, Graham le Saux punching David Batty

https://www.planetfootball.com/nosta...h-david-batty/

Comment

I'm looking forward to G-Man actively and openly supporting Liverpool against RB Leipzig.

Comment

Bad draws for both of my teams...

Comment

Considering the other teams that Atl?tico could have drawn, I would have thought that Chelsea were one of the better options out of the group winners.

Comment

How fucking boring. Under a different draw, and assuming that Internazionale and Manchester United wouldn't have shat the bed, we would have had a clean four-country round of sixteen.
                      That's true in the sense that Porto needed a lucky draw to get through but I think PSG were always going to get through and Inter would simply have replaced Lazio.

I think Bayern would have to shit the bed not to win the whole thing. I can't recall many recent years where one side has been so superior.

Comment

Incidentally, if Bayern do win this year, they will draw level with AC Milan in terms of European Cups won.
                        As would Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          That's true in the sense that Porto needed a lucky draw to get through but I think PSG were always going to get through and Inter would simply have replaced Lazio.
                          You are quite likely right, but one super-rich French club displacing a fourth-ranked Italian or English team does not really do much to lighten my mood over the overall inequality situation.

Comment

Liverpool's game in Leipzig is off after the German government said "nein" to non-EU travellers. Leipzig now either have to find an alternative venue, agree to play both legs at Anfield, or possibly forfeit the first leg 3-0.

Comment

Some wag on Twitter suggested that after seeing Liverpool's recent home and away form, Leipzig lobbied the German authorities as they would prefer to play both legs at Anfield !!

Comment

Forgive the obvious question but how can they possibly be planning to play these knock-outs over two legs when the situation is no better than last year and possibly worse?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Forgive the obvious question but how can they possibly be planning to play these knock-outs over two legs when the situation is no better than last year and possibly worse?
                                  The only possible reason is to maximise television coverage. But surely if we have to play trans-national games at all in the current climate we could knock it down to one leg and space them out so the TV companies get 16 slots.

Comment

Two games at Anfield when they could just play one will look rather silly. Furthermore, it necessitates Leipzig having to make two trips and stay biosecure during and between them. Do they still have away goals rule for the first leg?

Comment

Well, don't let Liverpool argue that the Tories never do anything for them. Johnson and his saboteurs did such a terrible job that other countries feel it's too dangerous to have people from the UK coming to them. And UEFA reckons fucking over Leipzig is the proper response.

The only consolation is that its Leipzig getting fucked over.

Comment

Imagine if it were Bayern. Different outcome maybe?

Comment

Liverpool's first leg against Leipzig will now take place in Budapest. No announcement yet about the Moenchengladbach v Man City game that will be similarly affected.

Comment

Gladbach just announced that they will also be playing in Budapest

Comment

Footballers being able to get special dispensation for the usual laws in football-obsessive Orban's Hungary

Comment

No doubt with some commercial benefit to his cronies

And as is increasingly often the case, Law and Justice are trying to emulate him, offering to host matches in Warsaw

Comment

I think I want Leipzig to win this. Even if it only hastens the arrival of that frowning foreheadless fuck back to Anfield.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X