WSC Letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSC Letters

I posted in one of the recent threads about the latest WSC issue that I always start with the letters. I love the magazine, but if there are good letters, I would not complain if 50% of the issue was made up of letters. I'm working my way through a stack of older issues that I didn't have time to read. This letter from August 2012 really resonated with me as someone who not only thinks I can influence a game by directing players on the TV but often directing players on the TV who might have played earlier that day or even weeks ago if I'm way behind watching a game.

I sometimes think I can stop a team scoring against Lincoln, Eintracht or Scotland by concentrating completely on the goal-frame they’re defending at free-kicks, corners or in threatening situations (rather than following the ball and the run of play). By the law of averages, it mostly works, so I convince myself that my powers of concentration are influencing events sometimes several hundred miles away. Of course, sometimes the ball ends up in the net anyway, but then the obvious reason for that is: I simply wasn‘t concentrating hard enough on ‚defending‘ my team‘s goal.

Anyone else do this?

Comment

No. Seek help.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
        Anyone else do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          No. Seek help.
          I'd a feeling this was going to be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

I'd a feeling this was going to be the answer.
            My own solution is to go the bog, if my team are behind.

Comment

Ah the old "lucky piss" technique.

Comment

I've always considered that the footballing order is controlled by fan superstitions. Why else would all the most successful clubs come from large metropolitan ares? As an example, lets compare say Napoli (population 3 million), against Parma (population 200,000). If you were to estimate that 50% of the population from these places follow their local team, you've basically got 1.5 million pairs of lucky underpants competing against 100,000 pairs.

Comment

I love that theory. It helps to explain a lot, and it should definitely be introduced into the mainstream football debate.

Comment

People in Plymouth don't wear underpants?

Comment

From 309

Comment

I did manage to get two letters published over the years, one referencing how Berlusconi's screening of the Mundialito launched the chain of events that ultimately put him in power, so thought it best to quit while I was ahead!

Comment

From January 2013

Comment

Working...
                          X