No announcement yet.

Filthy racist scum booing the knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Henry winter wants to take a stand against racism he should block the toilets at the times and flood the entire building with literal sewage (rather than the metaphorical sewage that usually festers there I guess).

Otherwise he's not really in a position to criticise "addled" England fans when his own colleagues are busy inciting them.

Comment

This is Sheik Abdul Akim Murrad, founder of the Muslim university of Cambridge. Henry Winter calls him "My brother Tim."

Winter himself is a pretty odd fish. I had some dealings with him when i worked in newstalk for a couple of months, and he was extremely pleasant, always unfailingly polite, and in a considerate rather than reflexive way. He did however refer to covering the england team as being "on manoeuvres" and he's the lad who will arrange the trip to the local war cemetery or battlefield site. He's just kind of completely clueless though. I don't think he sees the connection between the front bit of his newspapers, and the back pages, and if you were to ask him he'd probably tell you truthfully he was opposed to racism etc, while still thinking that the british empire were a great bunch of lads.

He's a truly weird, and extremely english figure. I don't know if you could make an Irish person quite like him, or a scottish person.

Comment

Westminster School (where they both went) has always produced more interesting people than Eton.

Henry went to Edinburgh and didn't do near as well as his older brother's double first at Cambridge.

I wonder what he made of his years north of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          He did however refer to covering the england team as being "on manoeuvres"
          Good lord

Comment

I saw Henry Winter do a DJ set once (he was on the bill for the event and everything). It was quite funny as his selections - Song 2, Ready to Go, etc - suggested that he had only ever heard music in sports stadia.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              I saw Henry Winter do a DJ set once (he was on the bill for the event and everything). It was quite funny as his selections - Song 2, Ready to Go, etc - suggested that he had only ever heard music in sports stadia.
              Ooh, let me guess - Seven Nation Army, Liquidator and finish with the Z Cars Theme?

Comment

Things have gone a bit daft today when the national team announced they would continue to "stand" against racism, as they have done in all their warm up games up till now.
                But when you find yourself being praised by the likes of Lozza Fox, Toby Young, Ricahrd Tice and Darren Grimes (to name but a few), as well as being criticised by a large section of your own supporters, then you know you've fucked up.
                This attempt to save face will see us join the England team by taking the knee at Wembley, but not at Hampden against Czechs or Croatia.
                Messy.

https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1403333019910524929

Comment

As people who follow me on social media will have seen, Viktor Orban thinks that western European nations' football teams kneel before games as a reflection of their guilt for their colonial past (which of course Hungary doesn't suffer from*). This apparently is why Ireland took a knee during the friendly at the weekend. Ireland. Guilt for colonial past.

He's not very historically literate is he?

(France will play in Budapest twice in the group stages. I'll be fascinated to watch how he decides that people like Mbappe, Kante, Pogba and Dembele are expressing colonial guilt too)

*This will of course be a surprise to many of the people who fell under the Austro-Hungarian empire, though most of them were at least in Europe (though there was a small Hungarian bit of Shanghai after the opium wars)

He has also said that if anyone takes a knee in Budapest it will be a mark of disrespect against their hosts. So, I really really hope that they all do. (It will be Portugal and France mostly, though there is a knockout game there too)

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                    I wondered why "Nice One, Cyril" was getting on the airplay charts...

Comment

Taking the knee, Not popular in Holland, or scotland.

Comment

Presumably the support in Portugal is high due to the historical immigration from Brazil, Angola and Mozambique - surprised at the Italian figure given its rightward political drift in recent years.

Comment

Are we giving a poll like that any credence at all?

Comment

Even if it has no credence it's useful stick with which to bash online trolling idiots who claim that England fans oppose the cultural marxism of the racist BLM agenda blah blah...

Comment

The Dutch and Scottish results give it a solid whack of credibility. It's a reflection of what those societies are actually like, rather than how they like to portray themselves. I was sent this graph by a Scottish rangers fan, with the message "this feels like a defeat, fuck it, I'm drinking my reserve bottle of Laphroaig, I'll get more for the tournament"

Comment

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1403288073690046464/photo/1

probably just as well maguire is injured or this team would have fewer black players than the portuguese team of his youth.

Comment

Is it not a fair reflection of form? Jose obviously had black players at Chelsea, Inter and Man U.

Comment

Jack grealish managed 2 league starts since valentine's day.

Comment

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1403288073690046464/photo/1

probably just as well maguire is injured or this team would have fewer black players than the portuguese team of his youth.
                                      I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Is there a black player or two that has been missed out in Jose's line up in your opinion?

I don't know enough about the current lot but other than Sterling not sure who else he could have gone for?

Comment

Rashford was the captain in the last game. And with all due respect to foden, jadon sancho has had foden's breakthrough season, 3 season's in a row now. He's scored 49 goals and had 60 assists in the equivalent of 103 full matches over the last three seasons. it's kind of ridiculous.
                                        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 11-06-2021, 22:39.

Comment

I think Mings is so useless that if we have to play him I'd rather he was part of a three, with Walker joining him and Stones, James at right WB and dropping one of Rice or Phillips, probably the latter though I think he's been playing well recently. Wouldn't drop Pickford either, but heartily agree that at least one of Rashford or Sancho should start.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                            I think Mings is so useless that if we have to play him I'd rather he was part of a three, with Walker joining him and Stones, James at right WB and dropping one of Rice or Phillips, probably the latter though I think he's been playing well recently. Wouldn't drop Pickford either, but heartily agree that at least one of Rashford or Sancho should start.
                                            The sky sports fan selection is Pickford, WIth the back three you picked, with shaw and james at wing back, with rice and mount in midfield, and a front three of foden, kane and grealish.

Comment

TBH, I think it's madness that maguire, henderson, grealish or rashford are at this tournament. None of them are remotely near fit enough.

Comment

Frankly, I think Grealish is a diving cheat who I'd like to see nowhere near the team until he's cleaned up his act. There, I've said it, even if no-one agrees with me.

Without wishing to get on his back, coz I'm a big fan of his, Shaw looked bigger than ever when he played against Romania, or possibly Austria, (they weren't games to live long in the memory). I know he's had a good season but he really doesn't have a modern footballer's physique.

Comment

TBH, I think it's madness that maguire, henderson, grealish or rashford are at this tournament. None of them are remotely near fit enough.
                                                  Heh! No partisan interest involved, of course.

Comment

I think with six subs allowed, progress from the group fairly straighforward if not assured, and a squad who've played 50+ games, starting line ups in the groups are less likely to reflect the strongest team.

Turkey demonstrated tonight how important fitness will be, they were blowing out of their collective arse after 20 minutes. I'd be selecting with "legs" in mind. At the World Cup Croatia outstayed England despite having been through extra time previously and being 4-5 years a man older.

I can foresee a Rashford-Kane-Sterling starting front 3, with increasing clamour for the more exciting youth options as it remains goalless after 70 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X