No announcement yet.

Filthy racist scum booing the knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stanciu, one of the two Romanians who didn't take the knee, said he was doing so because of the way his teammate Kudela at Slavia was treated. Basically doubling down and saying up front "I won't take a knee because I agree with racism"

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Has a three lions tattoo on his bare arm and his bio says "Liverpool"?

Assuming he follows football, do we know whether he's Liverpool or Everton?
      The user who posted it isn't the same person as in the video.

Comment

England's support is a bit like Rangers' in that being an obnoxious, prejudiced bellend has become central to the collective identity. The FA have had decades to do something about this and have shown absolutely zero inclination to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

The National team supporter base does seem to include the nastiest, most vocal right wing of club supporters. I have always supported England in tournaments but I recoil at the idea of attending a match because of the type of people who attend.
          After the euphoria of Euro '96, me and a good friend decided we'd travel to see England in the qualification campaign for WC'98, this lasted precisely one match, against Sweden, where we were surrounded by some of the worst football fans/human beings we'd ever encountered.

The general air of hatred for everything and everyone who wasn't English was incredible, especially when you consider how welcoming and friendly all the Swedes we encountered were. Me and my friends spent the whole time we were there apologising to all and sundry.

I'd love to travel the world following my team, especially now that the players seem like reasonably good sorts and the team is not full of arseholes but that one experience has probably put me off for life.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

The user who posted it isn't the same person as in the video.
            Ah.

Right.

I'd assumed that when it appeared on my twitter feed, the original with the two St George Cross emoticons were from the originator.

​​​​​​Thanks

Comment

England's support is a bit like Rangers' in that being an obnoxious, prejudiced bellend has become central to the collective identity. The FA have had decades to do something about this and have shown absolutely zero inclination to do so.
              They seem remarkably loath to do anything about it now, either.

Comment

I'm sure I've recounted my trip to Old Trafford to watch England v Macedonia in 2006 on a coach put on by a local England Supporters Group.

It was up there with one of the worst football trips I've ever been on, racist songs on the coach, general snarky attitude and people clearly spoiling for a scrap, and that was for a home game. I dread to think what away games are like.

The thing is, it's so different from when I've been in a pub watching England games, though this could be down to my choice of pub for such games. The defeat to Portugal in 2004 was one of my favourite nights in a pub, even a friend of mine who can't stand football but fancied the night out, got so engrossed he cried when England lost (he may have been a "little" drunk to be fair). We were all upset at the end, but there was no animosity and everyone went there own ways by closing time.

Comment

The year I worked as a steward at Wembley, I had the misfortune of having to be in the England end during a match against Colombia. I had genuinely never been that close to people like that before and it was fucking awful. Made me sick to the stomach (and utterly terrified).

I was also there for an England Scotland game but was on the turnstiles at the Scotland end, so was spared encountering any England fans. True to stereotype, all the Scottish fans, apparently without exception, including children, were drunk. But humorously so, not Begbie-esque

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    True to stereotype, all the Scottish fans, apparently without exception, including children, were drunk. But humorously so, not Begbie-esque
                    We have an international reputation to uphold, so we try hard to not disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                      The thing is, it's so different from when I've been in a pub watching England games, though this could be down to my choice of pub for such games. The defeat to Portugal in 2004 was one of my favourite nights in a pub, even a friend of mine who can't stand football but fancied the night out, got so engrossed he cried when England lost (he may have been a "little" drunk to be fair). We were all upset at the end, but there was no animosity and everyone went there own ways by closing time.
                      My brother almost got into a fight in his local village pub while they were watching one of the Euro 2016 games. One of the other people who had gone there to watch the game loudly declared that it was ridiculous for England to have a player called Raheem. My brother said something and got intimidated into shutting the fuck up.

Comment

Although this made me laugh

Comment

In his defence England were attacking the wrong end for a home team at the Riverside. Maybe he's just a confused season-ticket holder

Comment

bit like the Conservative Party

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1401985395282305024?s=20

Comment

Trouble is this stuff travels internationally, and people like Farage milk it for all they can get:

A vocal minority of fans are unhappy at the England football team taking a knee before games.

Comment

Fear is a very powerful motivator of political engagement and there is absolutely no evidence that there needs to be any rational basis therefor. In fact, it seems to work better the more unhinged it is.

Comment

Would it be worth the price of England getting to the final if we could see the whole XI taking the knee on that day and then giving the finger to those who boo them?

No, what am I thinking?? The scum press would find a way to rewrite it as a victory for white British values. Boris lapping it up.

OTOH if the team fails 2016-style, the racist attacks on the players will be sickening and will have tacit government approval.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-06-2021, 23:53.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      "Siri - show me a picture of a racist in a England shirt"

Comment

https://twitter.com/owen_g/status/1402155122403201024?s=20

Comment

Rightwing papers' sports departments are often the least rightwing parts of those newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratorello View Post
                                            me and a good friend decided we'd travel to see England in the qualification campaign for WC'98, this lasted precisely one match, against Sweden, where we were surrounded by some of the worst football fans/human beings we'd ever encountered.
                                            Coincidentally this is the match I watched in a pub and thereafter decided I would never watch an England game in a pub again for similar reasons. That old 'cuddly nationalism'.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1401851977433337865[

Comment

Notable at the start of the match in Budapest, all the Irish team took the knee, none of the Hungarians did, and boos rang out from the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Coincidentally this is the match I watched in a pub and thereafter decided I would never watch an England game in a pub again for similar reasons. That old 'cuddly nationalism'.
                                                  Horrible, isn't it?

Comment

I believe 1998 was the last time I saw an England game in a pub.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X