Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adios Diego

He's gone.

RIP to the greatest ever. A truly flawed genius.

RIP

Comment

The greatest ever. He lived life though, eh?

Comment

This year man.

Comment

One of the greatest to ever do it. RIP

Comment

A truly astonishing footballer. Probably made more of a difference to the teams he played in than any other I've seen. He'd had health issues for a while, but 60 is very young.

Comment

Clarin first reported it about 45 minutes ago and I couldn't bring myself to post it.

Comment

This is really sad to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                  A truly astonishing footballer. Probably made more of a difference to the teams he played in than any other I've seen. He'd had health issues for a while, but 60 is very young.
                  This. Social media in England may be a good place to avoid for a while as no doubt the knuckledraggers will be out in force.

Comment

Best footballer of my football-watching lifetime, for sure.

Comment

A fantastic, flawed genius. Thank you for the ride, Diego.

Comment

The documentary on him a while back was truly remarkable. I walked away from it thinking he'd been totally shafted and I felt profoundly sorry for him.

Comment

The greatest.

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1331637569134751746

Something that the pandemic has made me miss is the chance to see the documentary in a theater. I was looking forward to seeing that game footage in clarity on a big screen, not some tiny YouTube video.

Comment

15 years to the day since George Best died...

Comment

The Greatest

Fuck 2020

Comment

The best I've ever seen.

RIP.

Comment

He was a player like no others, he will always be the greatest imo.

Naples will be in mourning tonight.

Comment

Simply the greatest. Can someone post up that photo from 1982 where he's got the entire Belgian team hanging on his next move? I know Belgium won that game but only because they were terrified of him.

Comment

RIP. The greatest footballer I ever seen in my life.

My biggest disappointment in football was when he never turned up for the friendly versus Scotland in 1990 meaning I never got to see him live.

Comment

I know little about him barring the public face (I will have to rectify this) but would his coke habit have been as much about him numbing the pain of having the shit kicked out of his legs for 90 minutes by opposing teams as much as any social reasons? I know it was (one of the) drug of choice for wrestlers in the 80s for that reason.

Comment

All the above - the best I have ever seen. Flawed, maybe. Genius, absolutely.

Comment

RIP, Diego - flawed, but seldom floored.

Not the absolute greatest-ever for me, but unquestionably among the top handful for sure. A wonderful talent at his very best.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                              The greatest.

Something that the pandemic has made me miss is the chance to see the documentary in a theater. I was looking forward to seeing that game footage in clarity on a big screen, not some tiny YouTube video.
                                              If you ever get the chance to see it in the cinema (and sadly this news means you probably will at some point) then do so.

As I said on here at the time, it's my favourite superhero movie.
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-11-2020, 17:10.

Comment

Alas, I'm only old enough to remember his years in decline, but even at USA 94, he promised to defy the odds before fate intervened. RIP.

Comment

He played twice against Ireland in friendlies, and I was lucky enough to be at both of them. Irish commentator Jimmy Mc Gee's commentary to the second goal against England is one of the most famous in Ireland,he finishes with "different class" ,That was Diego alright.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X