No announcement yet.

Clubs you are acquainted with through unconventional sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I support Rangers, Linfield and Chelsea because a King lost his throne in 1688.

Comment

I keep an eye on scores for Maidenhead, Dorking, Dundee, Royston and Stockport because ex girlfriends were from there. I also have a hatred for Keith FC of the Highland league because of a rivalry with a bloke called Keith over a girl.

Comment

I think I'm going to be a bit boring because I recall we did "clubs from other countries you folliw for no real reason" once, but as that seems to fit here, my big three are:

1. Anorthosis Famagusta, because we went on holiday to Paralimni once and our hotelier told us the story of how everyone (including the football club) had to flee south overnight from Famagusta when the Turks invaded

2. Zeljeznicar Sarajevo, because of an erstwhile Croatian/Swedish Milan fan OTFer (he wasn't a Zeljeznicar fan but told me their backstory) and

3. Fehervar FC, from Hungary, because Szekesfehervar is twin towned with Chorley and because as Videoton FC in 1985 they knocked Bryan Robson/Mark Hughes Man United out of the UEFA Cup and went on to reach the final.

Comment

When i was a kid, I chose my allegiances for each country based on who Rangers or Celtic played from that country first in the Champions League/UEFA Cup because they would be the only teams you would see from these countries on TV.

As a result, alongside the usual Juventus, Ajax and PSG fandoms you would expect from a 90s kid, I am Alania Vladikavkaz/Shelbourne/Steaua Bucharest/Inter Cable Tel till I die.

It still has an effect on me 25 years later as I even bought an Alania Vladikavkaz annual from the year they won the Russian league title, in English!

Comment

Originally posted by VillanoXIV View Post
            Inter Cable Tel Inter Cardiff UWIC Inter Cardiff Cardiff Met till I die.
            Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Read this as Skye. I wondered what the fuck Werder Bremen were doing playing in the Inner Hebrides.
              EIM, I just did exactly the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                I support Rangers, Linfield and Chelsea because a King lost his throne in 1688.
                EIM, sadly in Scotland you’re certainly not alone in that regard in that effectively being the prime reason why so many follow Rangers (and equally Celtic on the opposite side) plus of course the astonishing glory hunter nature of your average Scottish football fan, who have a great affinity for a team they should have no real connection with other than they are successful.

Comment

Working...
                X