X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anton Ferdinand Article

https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other

I thought this was an excellent piece.

As I wasn't living in the UK at the same time I was unaware of the intricacies of this racist incident, the main one being that Ferdinand only found out about this off the pitch.

Essential reading, I think.

Comment

That should have buried John Terry, really. That it didn't, but seems to have played a part in Ferdinand's demise is very sad.

Comment

Powerful story.

I'm disgusted how racists targeted his mother. Utter scum.

Comment

That's a gripping read. What stuck out to me reading it again is how Terry was only banned for four games. There's too much leniency and discretion involved in these penalties, it seems to me. Surely, if you're racist, you should be banned for a whole stack of games. Ten, maybe. Any sense of compromise devalues the whole process.
          Last edited by diggedy derek; 21-11-2020, 14:00.

Comment

That is a good piece, yes. Terry's scum of course, but football let him get away with it.

Comment

I can’t get over the expression on Terry’s face at the top of the article, as he’s uttering the words.

Comment

Disgusting man. This must have been dealt with on here at the time, I don’t recall but I don’t remember Chelsea supporters performing the same gymnastics that a few did to acquit Suarez.

It isn’t difficult though. That he is employed at Villa is a continuing source of shame for the club and supporters. Maybe this programme will force a rethink on that although with the prevailing my club right or wrong ethos across all football I doubt it.

Comment

Just read this, and can only echo the comments already expressed above.

Comment

Great piece. I cant help feeling Ferdinand is being particularly hard on himself for not speaking up at the time. He was unaware of the incident when it happened and then it was subject to court proceedings.

I thought at the time he handled himself with great dignity, even more so on reading that. The bit about the differing approach the FA took to interviewing him and Terry was particularly depressing. As EIM says, an incident from which his career never really recovered.
                    Last edited by Foot of Astaire's; 22-11-2020, 10:25.

Comment

I was shocked to be reminded that it was this that prompted Cappelo's resignation.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        I was shocked to be reminded that it was this that prompted Cappelo's resignation.
                        Yes, another thing that shocked me too.

Your captain is a racist and yet you resign over this, implicitly supporting him over anything else.

EIM got it right as well. Terry should have been finished in football and been untouchable by any club in the way that some others were. Sadly football failed Ferdinand in the way it's failed victims for generations and protected those in power.

Comment

Capello is pretty Fash though, no?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            That is a good piece, yes. Terry's scum of course, but football let him get away with it.
                            Terry has got away with no end of shit throughout his career. He's a spoilt entitled arrogant piece of shit with no redeeming features whatsoever yet somehow he remains welcome in the game and revered by many from the top of the game all the way down. He shouldn't even be getting a gig in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                              Yes, another thing that shocked me too.

Your captain is a racist and yet you resign over this, implicitly supporting him over anything else.
                              See he would say that it was a managerial autonomy thing. He's in charge, and you don't get to tell him who not to pick, and he's so upset about it that he's prepared on principle to walk away from a job that he considers to be far too much hassle for the money they were paying him. he was an old 'conservative' italian so he didn't notice or care that this was a terrible reason to walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                This must have been dealt with on here at the time,
                                Directly after the match, IIRC.

Comment

The Anton Ferdinand documentary currently on BBC and should go straight to iplayer. Not so much recommended viewing as essential.

The legal examination of how Terry walked away from court with a not guilty verdict was beyond belief.

Comment

It was a difficult watch. Of course, nothing has been learned as to how the game addresses it, and it was clearly filmed before the Greg Clarke incident as well.

What I find odd is that the alleged incident involving Terry and Ledley King seemed to be swept under the carpet, and wasn't alluded to at the time. I remember watching that game, and the reactions of 3 black Spurs players and at least 1 black Chelsea player made me think at the time that something untoward had taken place.

Comment

Interesting aside, Stan Collymore came out with a supportive tweet for Ferdinand, then somebody asked him if he'd ever played with someone who was openly racist. He quote tweeted the question stating that he was team mates with someone who was, and used the phrase 'you lot' when talking about black players. Collymore said that the player was untouchable because he had a family member who held the same views but was an absolute legend of the game. Collymore then deleted the tweet, and I didn't get a screenshot.

Wonder who he was talking about?

Comment

I know who it is. I've been told about him by another former pro. I mentioned the player's name and the response was "He's a racist."

Comment

Nigel Clough?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                            Nigel Clough?
                                            It was one of Collymore's club captains. The brother of one of them stood for the BNP in a European and General election.

Comment

Aha.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

It was one of Collymore's club captains. The brother of one of them stood for the BNP in a European and General election.
                                                Is there a good reason for the vagueness?

Comment

I'm afraid that's not vague enough

Comment

Working...
                                                  X