No announcement yet.

Biggest Ever Declines By National Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the chuff were Bermuda ranked 58th in the world back in 1992?

I know Shaun Goater and, to a lesser extent, Kyle Lightbourne were cult heroes but really, fiftyeighth.
    Last edited by Greenlander; 17-11-2020, 16:35.

Comment

CONCACAF has regularly thrown up weird rankings largely due to vagaries of the Gold Cup

Comment

Some CONMEBOL nations maybe are lower than they should be due to the special set-up of the WL qualifiers in the region. There's surely no way Ecuadir (60th) are worse than Mali (56th) or Mali (57th)

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
          Mexico and Columbia have both been ranked pretty highly in the past but rarely get anywhere in international tournaments.

Norway, Finland and Iceland were all whipping boys in the 70s but present as difficult opponents now. Czechoslovakia win the Euros in 76 then fail to make Argentina 78 after losing to the Scots.

Likewise Denmark 1992 Euro winners didnt make USA 1994 finishing behind Spain & RoI(goals scored being the definining measurement). World ranking didnt suffer to any great effect though-9th to 14th between the two events.

Comment

How come Venezuela are 28th?

Comment

North Korea were World Cup quarter-finalists in 1966 and not seen again at the world stage until 2010.

Kuwait, too, I'm not sure even still feature in AFC qualifying since their sole appearance in 1982.

Of course, I realise the circumstances behind their lack of success since.

Comment

Venezuela: Quarterfinals of Copa America, friendly wins over Japan and Trinidad and Tobago and the fact that the rankings don't yet reflect their recent qualifier defeats

Comment

Scotland were 4th for much of the period May 77 to April 78 and the Wembley 77 game is the only time since the 30s that they climbed above England. However England were at 4 when the 1978 WC started (Ron Greenwood honeymoon period).

Highest rankings of World Cup non-qualifiers since the war (eloratings.net)

Ranked 1 Argentina 1950
                  Ranked 2 Argentina 1954
                  Ranked joint 3 Holland 2002
                  Ranked 4 England 1974 and 1978
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-11-2020, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                    There's surely no way Ecuadir (60th) are worse than Mali (56th) or Mali (57th)
                    Maliplication

Comment

In the eloratings.net rankings, RoI's highest ever is 10th and NI's is 14th. However, RoI's FIFA ranking was 6th in December 1992.

Argentina did not go to No. 1 after winning the World Cup in 1978, nor did Italy in 1982.

Senegal went from 105th to 21st between 1994 and 2002. Bosnia 80th to 20th 1992 to 2013.
                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-11-2020, 20:24.

Comment

Colombia

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                          How the chuff were Bermuda ranked 58th in the world back in 1992?

I know Shaun Goater and, to a lesser extent, Kyle Lightbourne were cult heroes but really, fiftyeighth.
                          I was living in Bermuda at that time. I hadn’t realized how high in the rankings they achieved. In addition to the two mentioned, David Bascombe was playing professionally in the USA and Mescach Wade and Kentoine Jennings played in England for a while. Amongst some good results, Bermuda beat USA 1-0 in 1991.

in November 1992, a couple of days before Bermuda played Canada in a WC qualifier (which ended 0-0), I played against Canada (who had Craig Forrest, Frank Yallop, Paul Peschisolido amongst others) for a Bermuda Commercial League select in a warm up game for them. We lost.

Comment

Jamaica 135th to 38th from 1990 to 1998.

Iceland went from 18th in January 2018 to 37th by the end of that year, and will probably fall further after another very poor NL (and losing the playoff).
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-11-2020, 23:26.

Comment

Germany 7 - 1 Brazil
                              Spain 6 - 0 Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                Highest rankings of World Cup non-qualifiers since the war (eloratings.net)

Ranked 1 Argentina 1950
                                To call Argentina non-qualifiers for 1950 is a bit off. They refused to take part in the qualifiers because Per?n didn't want the risk to reputation if they played outside Argentina and did badly (God knows why he was so nervous given they'd spent most of the 40s making mincemeat of the rest of the continent in the almost annual Campeonatos Sudamericanos that were held during that decade).

Comment

Perception-wise (as opposed to rankings) England going from winners and quarter-finalists to not qualifying for the next two finals tournaments was a notable decline, though I am aware that might be expectations overcoming reality.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

I was living in Bermuda at that time. I hadn’t realized how high in the rankings they achieved. In addition to the two mentioned, David Bascombe was playing professionally in the USA and Mescach Wade and Kentoine Jennings played in England for a while. Amongst some good results, Bermuda beat USA 1-0 in 1991.

in November 1992, a couple of days before Bermuda played Canada in a WC qualifier (which ended 0-0), I played against Canada (who had Craig Forrest, Frank Yallop, Paul Peschisolido amongst others) for a Bermuda Commercial League select in a warm up game for them. We lost.
                                    You're an Aberdeen fan aren't you? You didn't drink in a bar on Front Street, upstairs one but can't remember the name. I spent a couple of summers back then visiting my grandparents and remember a couple of messy sessions with some Aberdonians/ Stonehaveners working on the island around that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

To call Argentina non-qualifiers for 1950 is a bit off. They refused to take part in the qualifiers because Per?n didn't want the risk to reputation if they played outside Argentina and did badly (God knows why he was so nervous given they'd spent most of the 40s making mincemeat of the rest of the continent in the almost annual Campeonatos Sudamericanos that were held during that decade).
                                      Thanks for the correction. Would Argentina have beaten Brazil and Uruguay in Brazil?

Comment

You're an Aberdeen fan aren't you? You didn't drink in a bar on Front Street, upstairs one but can't remember the name. I spent a couple of summers back then visiting my grandparents and remember a couple of messy sessions with some Aberdonians/ Stonehaveners working on the island around that time.
                                        Yes, an Aberdeen fan. Lived in Aberdeen in the 80’s (the glory days). Lived in Bermuda in the 90’s. I think the bar you’re thinking of was Flanagans. Messy sessions are a fond memory!

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

I think the bar you're thinking of was Flanagans. Messy sessions are a fond memory!
                                          That's the one.

Comment

That's the one.
                                            For a couple of seasons, Flanagans sponsored the team I played for, Forties FC, so we spent most after-match Saturdays either toasting our victories or drowning our sorrows. Happy days.

Comment

Working...
                                            X