Ten Best and Ten Worst Stadium Moves of the New-Build Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

Yes, a very obvious difference between Leicester and Bolton is the order in which things have happened.

Bolton's location counts against it, but it is only a 5-minute walk from a station with a frequent service.
    Isn't the train service pretty shite for midweek games?

for disasterous moves surely the daddy of them all has to be Darlington

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
      Edgeley Park was my first ever away game in January '88.
      Wow, coincidentally that was also my first visit, although it took another 5 years until I became a regular.

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

We had the Cheadle End for the 1993/94 play-off semi-final, but I don't recall there being any building work going on. Was that just because they wanted the home fans to have the bigger terrace for that game, perhaps?
      It had become the away end sometime in '93. I think the switched happened due to it being a three sided ground for a couple of months but then it just stayed at that end when the popside reopened with seats. The building work I referred to though was the new Cheadle End that was being built around the existing terrace during 94/95, I recall a temporary wall went up at some point that really restricted an already small terrace to about 4 steps.

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
      I'm sure I've recounted my first visit to Edgeley Park back on a Friday evening late 1992 when at half time one of the locals leapt from the stand to our right and proceeded to run along the front of our end tearing down our flags and calling us all Fenian bastards.
      It does ring a bell, think I got a bit touchy about that! I think I've recounted on here a more recent tale about the club flying an Ireland flag in honour of Jim Gannon but taking it down not long afterwards, as some people were triggered, ffs.

Comment

York's new stadium has finally been declared completed and will be officially handed over on Friday, just the 8 years late. Apparently still various checks and things to be done before a game can be hosted there but seems the move is now finally imminent. Hooray, or something, whatever...

Comment

Piece in the Yorkshire Post this week noted that York will need crowds of over 4,000 to break even at the new stadium (which would represent an increase of nearly 50% on most recent pre-Covid average), which does nothing to assuage fears that the move will see the club off for good.

Comment

For shame I've only just read the articles that this thread is based around, and there's a glaring error in the KC Stadium description, namely that we played at the Boulevard in the 'inter war years'. We actually played our first season as a league club there in 1904/05, before moving into the Anlaby Road ground. For those who like that sort of thing and when you're allowed to visit again, if you stand on the flyover close to the KC and look at the railway lines, where it splits the line that bears off towards the stadium runs right through the middle of where the pitch was on the old ground, and a stand wall still remains and is perfectly visible. Even after moving into Boothferry Park in 1946, the ground remained in use for reserve and youth team games until 1965.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Other sports watched at football stadia would be a good thread. I saw Cardiff Blues play at Cardiff City Stadium. Of course it was meant to be a joint stadium.
              Ah, this was where the idea was floated recently prior to a similar dedicated thread being started. That was bothering me.

Comment

Piece in the Yorkshire Post this week noted that York will need crowds of over 4,000 to break even at the new stadium (which would represent an increase of nearly 50% on most recent pre-Covid average), which does nothing to assuage fears that the move will see the club off for good.
                There's a strong echo of Darlington's demise.

Comment

York's new stadium has finally been declared completed and will be officially handed over on Friday, just the 8 years late. Apparently still various checks and things to be done before a game can be hosted there but seems the move is now finally imminent. Hooray, or something, whatever...
                  Are there any/many York supporters who actually support this move? It seems like absolute lunacy to me, but I've felt for a long time as though I'm missing something about it.

Comment

It does seem like a rotten move.

Comment

There was a nice piece on Tyne Tees news (for some reason) about Bootham Crescent last night, apparently the 'five minutes to go' flag in staying in situ.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                        There was a nice piece on Tyne Tees news (for some reason) about Bootham Crescent last night.
                        Much of North Yorkshire seems to lie on the cusp of TV regions. My mother lives in Harrogate and whenever she gets new TV equipment we have to make sure we tune it so she gets Yorkshire regional TV rather than stations based in Newcastle which is the default if we just let it tune automatically. In fact she picks up both BBC regions. So it's likely there will be Tyne Tees viewers in the likes of Thirsk and Northallerton and possibly even York itself who will be very much interested in stories about the club.
                        Last edited by Capybara; 22-01-2021, 09:18.

Comment

Did Wembley not qualify in the 10 best list, or was it only for club grounds?

​​​​​​

Comment

Sorry.

Misread meaning of title.

Demolish and rebuild on old site clearly not a "move"

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post
                              If someone else is paying the matchday hospitality at Arsenal is fabulous but Wycombe is so much better value ( disregarding the quality of the football ! ) and I love watching the red kites.

I never went to Underhill, but really enjoyed playing at next door Barnet CC - small boundaries so I hit a six into the football ground

As a Brighton supporter, whilst I miss the Goldstone, the Amex is so much better than Withdean or Gillingham !

Does the new Brentford ground have a pub on each corner ?
                              Hadn't one of the old ones shut?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                It begs the question (which we may have touched on before) as to what constitutes a new stadium. For example, both Bournemouth and Tottenham have new grounds where part of the stadium is built on part of the footprint of the old stadium. It's fairly clear that these are new stadiums. Deepdale, however, had successive stands built on the sites of old ones while the pitch remained, essentially, in the same place. Blackpool is somewhere in between, having shifted its playing surface about a quarter of a pitch length northwards.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=193&b=4

Leeds moved their pitch all over the place when they were developing Elland Road. I guess I'm asking myself whether I need to 'do' Bloomfield Road again.
                                And to link two ideas on this thread together built a multiplicity of floodlighting systems, from the mighty diamonds to pylons through the stands to rooftop lighting to concrete poles to scaffolding towers

Comment

Valencia must top the list for the worst, surely.

They have one of the most wonderful stadiums in the world, but decided to move to an identikit concrete bowl near the airport. Worse still, they spent hundreds of millions building the new stadium but it has never been finished, despite supposed to be opening over ten years ago. So they continue to play in their wonderful stadium, while paying through their nose for their piece of shit identikit stadium, but without getting any of the extra income it is supposed to generate. According to Spanish law it is illegal to abandon a building site, so they pay four builders to go into the semi-finished new stadium and pretend they are doing something.

It's a complete shitshow. I secretly hope the new stadium collapses into dust. Not when the four builders are in there, of course.

edit: aha, i see it was mentioned on earlier in the thread. as you were.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Hadn't one of the old ones shut?
                                    The Royal Oak at the NW corner of the ground was closed for some time but reopened as a craft/food type place called The Brook quite recently. The move to Lionel Road was well underway by that point, so the people behind it must either think that there's a viable business there without the football trade or that people will still go there on match days before walking across to the new stadium.

Comment

Very unofficial tour of Mou Mestalla here:

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                        Much of North Yorkshire seems to lie on the cusp of TV regions. My mother lives in Harrogate and whenever she gets new TV equipment we have to make sure we tune it so she gets Yorkshire regional TV rather than stations based in Newcastle which is the default if we just let it tune automatically. In fact she picks up both BBC regions. So it's likely there will be Tyne Tees viewers in the likes of Thirsk and Northallerton and possibly even York itself who will be very much interested in stories about the club.
                                        I was being a bit facetious, Capy. Having said that, the viewers you mention are more likely to be interested in Leeds.

Comment

We also get a lot more Harrogate Town coverage these days. Not sure if your mam is interested, but if so, she is catered for.

Comment

And to link two ideas on this thread together built a multiplicity of floodlighting systems, from the mighty diamonds to pylons through the stands to rooftop lighting to concrete poles to scaffolding towers
                                            Drove past Elland Road recently and there are now massive mobile floodlights parked behind the west stand

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

There's a strong echo of Darlington's demise.
                                              I'm not sure, our chairman's an incompetent egomaniac rather than an actual criminal, and the new stadium is a lot smaller and is guaranteed to have other uses from the start (the rugby team), but that's not to say that the outcome won't be the same as Darlo's. It's on the council as much as anything – they've made such a hames of the construction process, and have now failed to fill most of the catering/retail units that they were banking on for daily income, although as the football club is officially the stadium manager there is sure to be some bite back there.

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post

Are there any/many York supporters who actually support this move? It seems like absolute lunacy to me, but I've felt for a long time as though I'm missing something about it.
                                              There actually are a few who seem to be genuinely excited, but I think those are also the type who applaud enthusiastically when Rob the PA announcer reads out the number of away fans. I personally don't know anybody who is looking forward to it in any way (other than the idea of if the game is really bad being able to leave early and pop next door to the cinema). A few friends have snuck a look round (apparently security at the site has been minimal) and say that in fairness it is an impressive facility, but I'm not even convinced by that – the open corners and sides of stands, the fact that directly behind the goal at the home end is a gangway to the concourse rather than a full block for the rowdy yoofs to gather in, the fact it's pointlessly all-seater... all very uninspiring as far as I'm concerned.

The biggest downer though for most people I think is still the awful location. There still doesn't seem to have been any definitive plan of how people are to get there – you can probably use the Park&Ride bus to the shopping park next door, there'll probably be shuttle buses from the city centre/train station, parking is still rumoured to be pre-booked only at a tenner a pop... Reading between the lines of the article I linked in my last post, it seems the club were exploring a number of possible locations in the city that would potentially have been great (including one proposal of buying the bit of land next door to Bootham Crescent and just building a new ground there with the pitch turned 90 degrees from its current orientation), but once the council got involved it basically had to be the location it is, because they already owned the land. I honestly wonder whether the club wouldn't have been better taking a massive loan and just building it themselves in one of those city locations.

I think that when fans are allowed back to games, there will be an initial spike in attendances, but that will likely be more to do with people having missed being able to go to any football at all rather than any "new stadium bounce" (which will be at least 30% according to the board). If the team don't start tearing back up the leagues sharpish, I would imagine crowds will soon drop below Bootham Crescent levels, especially if they do go with the ticket price structure they mooted when it looked like we'd be moving 2 years ago – you're looking at ?20 (with booking fee) to pay on the day, for the sixth tier, which when you can probably buy two tickets for a blockbuster film on the IMAX screen next door does not appear to offer the best value for money proposition.

Comment

I'm not sure, our chairman's an incompetent egomaniac rather than an actual criminal, and the new stadium is a lot smaller and is guaranteed to have other uses from the start (the rugby team), but that's not to say that the outcome won't be the same as Darlo's. It's on the council as much as anything – they've made such a hames of the construction process, and have now failed to fill most of the catering/retail units that they were banking on for daily income, although as the football club is officially the stadium manager there is sure to be some bite back there.

There actually are a few who seem to be genuinely excited, but I think those are also the type who applaud enthusiastically when Rob the PA announcer reads out the number of away fans. I personally don't know anybody who is looking forward to it in any way (other than the idea of if the game is really bad being able to leave early and pop next door to the cinema). A few friends have snuck a look round (apparently security at the site has been minimal) and say that in fairness it is an impressive facility, but I'm not even convinced by that – the open corners and sides of stands, the fact that directly behind the goal at the home end is a gangway to the concourse rather than a full block for the rowdy yoofs to gather in, the fact it's pointlessly all-seater... all very uninspiring as far as I'm concerned.

The biggest downer though for most people I think is still the awful location. There still doesn't seem to have been any definitive plan of how people are to get there – you can probably use the Park&Ride bus to the shopping park next door, there'll probably be shuttle buses from the city centre/train station, parking is still rumoured to be pre-booked only at a tenner a pop... Reading between the lines of the article I linked in my last post, it seems the club were exploring a number of possible locations in the city that would potentially have been great (including one proposal of buying the bit of land next door to Bootham Crescent and just building a new ground there with the pitch turned 90 degrees from its current orientation), but once the council got involved it basically had to be the location it is, because they already owned the land. I honestly wonder whether the club wouldn't have been better taking a massive loan and just building it themselves in one of those city locations.

I think that when fans are allowed back to games, there will be an initial spike in attendances, but that will likely be more to do with people having missed being able to go to any football at all rather than any "new stadium bounce" (which will be at least 30% according to the board). If the team don't start tearing back up the leagues sharpish, I would imagine crowds will soon drop below Bootham Crescent levels, especially if they do go with the ticket price structure they mooted when it looked like we'd be moving 2 years ago – you're looking at ?20 (with booking fee) to pay on the day, for the sixth tier, which when you can probably buy two tickets for a blockbuster film on the IMAX screen next door does not appear to offer the best value for money proposition.
                                                Ahem!

At the time our chairman was a reformed felon, and the subsequent conviction was not connected with the football club

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post

Drove past Elland Road recently and there are now massive mobile floodlights parked behind the west stand
                                                  Makes you wonder why they just didn't keep the "mighty diamonds" on the west side of the ground, seeing as they never did rebuild that stand.

Comment

Ahem!

At the time our chairman was a reformed felon, and the subsequent conviction was not connected with the football club
                                                    Of course, your honour!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X