Ten Best and Ten Worst Stadium Moves of the New-Build Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

Redevelopment began in '92 and took the best part of the decade. I think I'm right in saying the main stand was completed first in which case your memory will be correct.
    Shit quality cos it's a photo of a photo, but this was taken from the Willbutts corner of the Pearl Street at a league cup tie in August '91. Old Main Stand still very much in evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
      Yeah Sid. They’re the fuckers I’m on about.
      The ultra- professionals.

Probably end up as one myself once I’ve retired

Comment

Spotland's an actual example of a ground that had charm then and still does now, despite two sides of it now being run of the mill turn of the millennium all seaters. Fine ground.

Comment

Agreed on Spotland. Would put Prenton Park in that category too. Gresty Road ought to be, but only having one entry/exit into the away side loses it points - it's a right pain in the arse when you take a decent away following.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
            Spotland's an actual example of a ground that had charm then and still does now, despite two sides of it now being run of the mill turn of the millennium all seaters. Fine ground.
            Gigg too.

Comment

Other sports watched at football stadia would be a good thread. I saw Cardiff Blues play at Cardiff City Stadium. Of course it was meant to be a joint stadium.

Comment

Gresty Road's too lopsided for me. And the away side's rubbish.

Comment

I'd like to add Plainmoor to the list of grounds that had a certain ramshackle charm and have kept a bit of character through their development. Some of it was downright odd in the 80s with half a roof along the Popular Side and that small corner of an away end, but exteding that roof, covering the away end along with the Bristows Bench grandstand have made it a tidy little ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

Shit quality cos it's a photo of a photo, but this was taken from the Willbutts corner of the Pearl Street at a league cup tie in August '91. Old Main Stand still very much in evidence.

That's a great picture. The angle may be misleading but the main stand seems barely to stretch beyond the half way line. There was an area of raised terracing separating it from the Sandy Lane and it was possible to walk all the way from the main stand to the far end of the Willbutts back then. Sadly the grass hill to the left of the Pearl Street - the kop - was shut off to fans before my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Other sports watched at football stadia would be a good thread. I saw Cardiff Blues play at Cardiff City Stadium. Of course it was meant to be a joint stadium.
                      I can't think of any other sports I've seen at football grounds but my tally would be up by 1 if I counted Bob Dylan at St James' Park.

Comment

I'd be in double figures for rugby league games at 'football' grounds (albeit some are shared venues between the sports) and I can think of a dozen or more that have hosted league without me in attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

That's a great picture. The angle may be misleading but the main stand seems barely to stretch beyond the half way line. There was an area of raised terracing separating it from the Sandy Lane and it was possible to walk all the way from the main stand to the far end of the Willbutts back then. Sadly the grass hill to the left of the Pearl Street - the kop - was shut off to fans before my time.
                          Cheers AH. I think the angle is misleading. Didn't realise the grass hill had ever been open to spectators.

Comment

I’d like to complete the 91. My own personal set of rules is that it should be a competitive match between two existing League sides. Anything else goes on the “b list”.

So the League Cup preliminary round between Crawley and Wimbledon at Broadfield Stadium counts.

Some b list examples:

Friendly at Sixfields
                            Conference play off final at City Of Manchester Stadium
                            Conference match between two now current league sides at the New Lawn (Forest Green)
                            Defunct grounds (The Dell, Filbert Street etc.)

I’d also like to complete the set by having either seen my own team play there, or having gone with a friend who supports one of the teams playing. I don’t just want to “collect”grounds (but if I ever get close to finishing the set I may do that with the last few, a bit like the way you could send off for the last few stickers if you’d nearly completed a Panini album).

Comment

My only visit to Vicarage Road was to see Saracens play Gloucester Rugby. Still the only time I've seen Gloucester Rugby play despite visiting Kingsholm at least half a dozen times, and even playing there myself. The day before I'd been to see Wigan Athletic play Cheltenham. On both occasions I used the away club's official coaches. The differences in what was allowed were staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post
                                a bit like the way you could send off for the last few stickers if you’d nearly completed a Panini album).
                                People who did that made me sick. If you'd done that, you'd have been shunned in the primary school playground round our way.

Comment

I've heard of a few people who don't count a ground if there isn't a goal - but do they count it if it's 0-0 at the end of a cup tie and some penalties are scored in the shoot out?

I wasn't deliberately doing the 91* but when we left the league I thought I might as well visit some of the grounds I still hadn't been to as an away fan
                                  I've got 6 left to do now, thanks to the three recent new openings. Ten visits not as an away fan, which I think isn't bad.

* Assuming a boycott of the Franchise, actually 90 at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post

I've heard of a few people who don't count a ground if there isn't a goal

I'm still baffled by this.

Comment

I guess it is rarer the lower you go to see a 0-0, but I've seen some cracking 0-0s that stick in the mind more than that routine 2-0 win for Albion 5 years ago with 2 goals you couldn't recall if you life depended on it. Each to their own I guess.

But touching the corner flags? That is weird.

Comment

My one MLS game finished 0-0. Although a goal was awarded and then disallowed. Only time I've ever seen an electronic scoreboard revert to nil after being updated.

I'm counting it as a ground though. I watched the game.

Comment

Is this 0-0 thing some weird groundhopper version of a tree falling in the woods and no ones there to see it does it make a sound.

You're not taking seeing our draw at Anfield away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                            Has Noton’s dull Sixfields taken a beating yet? Another one nowhere near the station, no architectural merit, and on a boring industrial estate to boot.
                                            Not defending the place's aesthetic merits but it's actually closer to the station than the County Ground. And there's a Wildlife Trust wetlands site, a country park, and the Northampton Arm of the Grand Union Canal next door. Shit pubs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                              Cheers AH. I think the angle is misleading. Didn't realise the grass hill had ever been open to spectators.
                                              To be honest it had only been my assumption that it had. It's got crush barriers so you'd have to think they were there for a reason. I don't know anyone old enough to ask though and I've no intention of re-registering on the Rochdale forum.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post

Not defending the place's aesthetic merits but it's actually closer to the station than the County Ground. And there's a Wildlife Trust wetlands site, a country park, and the Northampton Arm of the Grand Union Canal next door. Shit pubs, though.
                                                The canal was the redeeming feature at the Ricoh. The last two times I went there I got the train to Bedworth then walked along the canal to Hawkesbury Junction where the Coventry and Oxford canals meet. There's a great pub there and then it's about another 25 minutes' walk along the canal to the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                                  Is this 0-0 thing some weird groundhopper version of a tree falling in the woods and no ones there to see it does it make a sound.

You're not taking seeing our draw at Anfield away from me.
                                                  They can have mine at Home Park. It's a bloody long way to witness your first chance of reaching the play offs end in such an anticlimax..

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post

First (and only time) I went to Sixfields I got off the train realising I had no idea which way the ground was. Rather than ask someone, I clocked a bloke in a Northampton Town scarf and decided to follow him. It seemed a solid plan for about 20 minutes or so... until he took a sharp left through a garden gate, took out his keys and went into his house.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X