Ten Best and Ten Worst Stadium Moves of the New-Build Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

You'll have been lucky enough to experience the luxury alfresco peeing experience referred to elsewhere then. I wasn't at the game you mention but I have no other recollection of away fans being given Wilbutts Lane in those days. Thinking about the old main stand though, as it was the only seated part of the ground back then I guess a part of it must always have been offered to away fans.
    When was the main stand rebuilt? In my mind it looked then as it does now, with the blocks of red and blue seats (and noticeably newer than the rest of the ground), but I could be mistaken...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      I may not be using your link properly but that map isn't showing the change from Dean Court to "Fitness First Stadum" (or whatever it's called now) for me.
      Get rid of the help screen if it appears. Use the slider bottom left to change the transparency of the overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
        Get rid of the help screen if it appears. Use the slider bottom left to change the transparency of the overlay.
        Ah, OK. Got it working now, thanks.

I've also researched the arcane ruling under which it is not counted as a new ground and it is because (according to the 'Doing the 92" site) "its pitch shares some of its footprint with the original Dean Court" and apparently this is not the case with Tottenham's.

Perhaps you can verify that on your map, I'm clearly rubbish with such things.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-11-2020, 16:58.

Comment

From memory there's some overlap, but not the pitch. I'll check it out. At least I don't have to do Blackpool again.

Yep, looks like it:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=170&b=1
          Last edited by Capybara; 18-11-2020, 17:04.

Comment

Thanks.

Blackpool, like Plymouth, is a ground I've somehow never done over the decades despite seemingly almost always being in the same league as the team I am following at the time.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-11-2020, 17:26.

Comment

I've always made my own rules for doing new grounds and I don't care if anyone says I'm wrong.

I've only been to Prenton Park once and that was for a friendly. I count it.
              Old Trafford just the once too for a schoolboy international, and I count this too.
              I went with my Grandad to watch Notts County v Luton in an early kick off (0-1). At the end of the game we walked to the City Ground and saw the last five or ten minutes of Forest v Ipswich in the FA Cup (3-3). I counted erm, County, but not Forest.

Does anyone else make up their own rules?

I think I once read of a ground hopper who insisted on touching each corner flag before kick off, before he could tick it off. Apparently he arrived a few minutes late once and asked the referee to restart the game. The ref refused.

Comment

The corner flag touching story is a famous one though could easily be an urban myth. Actually, is it in The Far Corner?

There are definitely many groundhoppers who only count a ground if they can get a programme and have been know to turn around and leave without watching the game if a club has sold out of them, even after a long round trip.

Comment

The corner flag touching story is a famous one though could easily be an urban myth. Actually, is it in The Far Corner?
                  Yes it is.

Comment

I know of one groundhopper who won't count a ground if a game finishes goalless. A good way to annoy him is to mention Stradey Park, former home of Llanelli's rugby team, which was used once by the town's football team for a UEFA Cup tie that finished goalless.

I know another groundhopper who, for League grounds only, has separate lists for afternoon and evening games.

Comment

I have my own rules but I was interested in the Blackpool thing which I wasn't aware of. Friendlies count for me too. I travelled from London to Wigan in 1999 to go to Springfield Park before it closed. When I arrived I found it was all-ticket and none were being sold on the day under any circumstances. I wasn't the only one caught out. So I spent the afternoon in a nearby pub and went back with about twenty minutes left. As soon as they opened the gates I was in and caught the winning goal. Too right I'm counting it.

Comment

Thanks.

Blackpool, like Plymouth, is a ground I've somehow never done over the decades despite seemingly almost always being in the same league as the team I am following at the time.
                        Long old poke to Plymouth innit.

I don't know when you stopped following Cardiff but that's a lot of games.
                        Last edited by Greenlander; 18-11-2020, 18:16.

Comment

I packed in Cardiff in 2012 with the rebrand. With them, Plymouth away was frequently a Boxing Day game or in the Xmas/NY period so not an easy one to do but I'm still surprised I never made it given I've been to Exeter & Torquay and had over 20 years of regular away travel with Cardiff to do it.

I'll remedy that in the future though hopefully, especially with my daughter in Exeter for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                            I know of one groundhopper who won't count a ground if a game finishes goalless. A good way to annoy him is to mention Stradey Park, former home of Llanelli's rugby team, which was used once by the town's football team for a UEFA Cup tie that finished goalless.

I know another groundhopper who, for League grounds only, has separate lists for afternoon and evening games.
                            Christ, you people are strange!!

Comment

Whatever you do, don’t listen to them professional groundhoppers. They’re a bunch of weirdos who are in need of a hot shower.

The only criteria I have for my personal groundhopping is that I’ve seen a game at a particular ground.
                              It makes no odds to me whether the game is a friendly, league, cup or even an amateur final at a club ground. For an example I went to see my mate play an amateur final at Aldershot in 1985 and I still count it as a tick.

I’ve wandered around a lot of grounds all over Europe when I‘ve been either working or holidaying but no game equals no tick.

Comment

I concur with Torres, it's about watching a game of football in the end - not peculiar personal rituals.

Comment

If you've seen a game somewhere, you can count it, friendly, youth game or whatever.

Though my attempts to count the London Stadium as ticked off, for 91 club purposes, when I went to the 2017 World Athletics Champs got short shrift from The People Who Care About These Things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

When was the main stand rebuilt? In my mind it looked then as it does now, with the blocks of red and blue seats (and noticeably newer than the rest of the ground), but I could be mistaken...
                                    Redevelopment began in '92 and took the best part of the decade. I think I'm right in saying the main stand was completed first in which case your memory will be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                      for 91 club purposes,
                                      Good use of "91".

What I wonder is why anyone would care about what "the people who care about these things" think.

Comment

Because I wanted an argument/discussion about football grounds, my favourite topic of conversation

Comment

Not trying to engage in one-upmanship but one groundhopper I knew visited North Korea four times before finally getting a ground in

He also did the whole of the Kazakhstan Premier League and I doubt there are even many Kazakhs who can claim that

Comment

Yeah Sid. They’re the fuckers I’m on about.

Comment

If you've seen a game somewhere, you can count it, friendly, youth game or whatever.

Though my attempts to count the London Stadium as ticked off, for 91 club purposes, when I went to the 2017 World Athletics Champs got short shrift from The People Who Care About These Things.
                                              As it should...and I speak as someone who would significantly add to his total of grounds if other sports were allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
                                                Yeah Sid. They’re the fuckers I’m on about.
                                                Which fuckers?

Comment

Because I wanted an argument/discussion about football grounds, my favourite topic of conversation

Each to their own, obvs, it's just that it sounds more like an argument/discussion about rules.

Comment

With West Ham I'm kind of making a political point too, in that I don't really recognise it as a football stadium. They shouldn't be there. The public, and their fans, were grievously ripped off in the process of them being there. It's a shell of a "football" ground. And I don't particularly want to watch football in it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X