No announcement yet.

The Redbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm putting this on here as I genuinely don't want to use the Sala thread for unrelated anti Tan/Tan United comment.

On a small private forum I'm on with some friends who still follow them, to varying degrees, I wondered if being forced to pay Nantes the money they are owed would be the straw that broke the camel's back for Tan. He strikes me as the kind of autocrat who would flounce over (for him) a point of principle when forced to do the correct moral and legal thing against his wishes.

Then I wondered what he got out of still owning the club anyway. I recall (and I think it was noted upthread somewhere) that they recorded a loss in their first PL relegation season and while I it would appear they cut costs on their second unsuccessful go at it I'm not sure how much money was made.

There are parachute payments, of course, (though I believe they are going down for the first time ever from now) and a chance that they could have another go at promotion but I wonder at what point the cycle loses it's profitability and appeal to Tan. Especially as I think the club still has a nine figure debt to him - though I suppose recouping that is the main incentive for hanging around.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-11-2019, 17:27.

Comment

Isn't there some benefit for the Malaysian regime, especially as the 1MDB chickens continue to come home to roost?

Comment

Benefit in terms of prestige/profile or as a vehicle to, er, process funds?

Comment

To be fair, I was thinking of both, though I was more focused on the prestige/image support given all of the bad publicity.

Comment

Ten years to the day since the rebrand story broke. It was leaked at the final whistle of the away second leg of a 5-0 aggregate defeat to West Ham in the D2 play-offs (my last Cardiff game). A few of us had found out around the home leg a few days earlier and decided to try, unsuccessfully, to mobilise some opposition.

What a weird decade since.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-05-2022, 08:42.

Comment

Do you still miss things about following Cardiff Ray?

Comment

Re-reading this thread is something. I have feeling it should be archived for posterity by a social studies department.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                  And would you return in a post-Tan era?

Comment

Vincent and his cronies are still dicks

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityLive/status/1523652478713143300?t=AKZVxgDgtEmHu2FivZOOyw&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                      Two things :

- Having a regular framework to see that set of mates (though most of them walked when I did and none of them go as regularly) rather than doing so at (less frequent) Wales games or relatively random matches that we decide upon.

- Doing more away trips specifically, they're always the best but my Wimbledon watching is much more focused on home games.

I still haven't regretted my choice even once in the last decade though. Quite the opposite given that I wouldn't have had a lot of the sporting experiences I've had in that time (many of them outside of football) if I was slavishly following Cardiff as I did.

Comment

I remember being at the Turf on the day they clinched promotion, looking over the sea of red in the away end and thinking "if that is what it costs to get into the Premier League, I don't want it".

Comment

Two relegation seasons from the prem in 10 years, it doesn't feel like Mephistopheles has kept up his end of the bargain

Comment

Part of me wonders why he stays. He's thrown a huge amount of money to achieve two relegation seasons in the Premier League. His tenure is known for "the unpleasantness" (as Ray calls it) and the sudden reversal on it, sacking Malky Mackay and then seeing the racist behaviour shared all over the press anyway, the disgusting actions of the club after Emiliano Sala died, and this season finishing low down in the Championship plus the first double loss in the South Wales derby. He's widely characitured as a panto villain and mocked for his dress sense. I just don't see what is in it for him any more.

Comment

Ego. Proving he was right all along. About everything. All of what you listed is what keeps him there rather than drives him away - he would not, could not accept walking away with his tail between his legs as if he has made mistakes and got things wrong. He needs to wash all of that away with sustained success and adulation. Which won't be coming... and he wouldn't leave at that point either, anyway as he would be glorying in it too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X