The Redbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Redbirds

Who'd be the nearest LoW team to Cardiff?

Comment

The Redbirds

Barry Town is the closest team, but they aren't in the Welsh Premier League at the moment.

I think probably Port Talbot would be the closest there.

Comment

The Redbirds

Though Afan Lido are only a mile further away.

I think more Cardiff fans would watch Merthyr or, gulp, Newport for their regular football fix if boycotting the Plastic Dragons than a LoW side.

Of course, there's not enough boycotting at all and I sense most would just drift away from regular football altogether.

Comment

The Redbirds

Afan Lido seems an odd name for a club. It sounds as though they should be playing in the same league as Prestatyn Holiday Camp

Comment

The Redbirds

A fun night;

KCB statement

The Keep Cardiff Blue campaign is very concerned that its meeting last night to discuss protest plans was disrupted and eventually curtailed due to intimidation and threats of violence from a small group who, in their own words, “unconditionally” backed the club’s rebrand plans.

This group had obviously planned in advance to attend only to disrupt the meeting and made it clear that they would use and endorse violence against anyone peacefully protesting inside the ground. An example of their threats (as mentioned in a local press report below) was “anyone taking a banner in to the ground, I will bury them”.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2012/07/24/cardiff-city-fans-told-you-ll-be-buried-as-rebranding-meeting-turns-ugly-91466-31466870/

The group of supporters making and supporting these threats are known to the club, indeed many of them have been courted, endorsed and even employed by the club’s officials in the past.

The threats and intimidation will do nothing but galvanise the Keep Cardiff Blue campaign and we will continue to explore and plan peaceful, lawful ways to protest against the destruction of the club’s identity. Indeed, we have received much fresh or renewed support overnight as the events of the meeting have been reported.

However we call upon the club to condemn these threats of violence against its supporters considering nothing but peaceful protest and ask them to publically guarantee they will do everything possible to ensure their safety in and around the ground.

We also call upon club director Steve Borley to end his inflammatory and distorted campaign against Keep Cardiff Blue on his personal Twitter account branding it’s members as “extremists” and “radicals”. We think last night’s events clearly show who the extremists and radicals actually are and such comments from a club official risk exacerbating the situation.

KEEP CARDIFF BLUE

Comment

The Redbirds

That's sickening.

Resisting the urge to draw comparisons with Germany circa 1934, who is the probable instigator of this? Borley, or are there more than one?

Comment

The Redbirds

You know, with Rangers, Portsmouth, the new sickening TV deal and John terry, as well as this terrible infighting at Cardiff, I am seriously falling out of love with football.

I just keep thinking what's the point, this sort of stuff is going to continue to happen isn't it? Does anyone genuinely think things will improve on any of the fronts mentioned?

I kind of wish I could just consume the sport in a 442/Sky Sports News kind of way and not care.

Anyway, keep strong Bluebirds fans, don't let the bastards grind ya down.

Comment

The Redbirds

darkglobe80 wrote: I kind of wish I could just consume the sport in a 442/Sky Sports News kind of way and not care.
                  Watch non-league football. It's still fun.

Comment

The Redbirds

So at Inter, the "hardcore" support will beat you up if you wear the new red top, in Cardiff they will beat you up if you prorest against the new red top...

Makes sense...

Comment

The Redbirds

See, I'm torn now, because Cardiff have got a friendly against Newcastle and I wouldn't mind seeing Newcastle.

But I don't want to 'support' the rebranded Cardiff (by buying a ticket) out of solidaroty with my Cardiff-supporting friends who all hate what has happened with the club.

Ah the ethical dilemmas facing casual football supporters...

Comment

The Redbirds

You can't get a Newcastle ticket?

EDIT: sorry it is home. Shows how out of touch I am

Comment

The Redbirds

To their credit (maybe), Newcastle are using the real Cardiff badge on their ticket ordering page.

Comment

The Redbirds

As an aside, Steve Tucker, a pro-rebrand journalist on the South Wales Echo, happy to use "yid" on his twitter feed while talking about this

Comment

The Redbirds

Except that's what Spurs fans call themselves, so hardly anti-Semitic in that context.

Comment

The Redbirds

It's a racist term when Spurs supporters use it. It's a racist term pure and simple. If Jewish supporters want to use it then that is up to them but, aside from them, anyone else using it is using it as a racist term.

Comment

The Redbirds

Can't see owt on there.

Comment

The Redbirds

Comment

The Redbirds

Right. Wanker. He needs pulling up on that.

Comment

The Redbirds

I've got in touch with the South Wales Echo but am not on Twitter

Comment

The Redbirds

Fucking hell...

Just had a message from the winner of the auction for my support for the 2012/13 season. The team he has chosen is....
                                          @Dudley1927 if when things got tough or went not to our liking we all went, 'ok, i'm out of here' we would all be speaking german now.
                                          @steveatucker Not happy with the situation so did something about it, £420 odd quid for Ty Hafan and Help for Heroes is the end result.
                                          @steveatucker Not happy with the situation so did something about it, £420 odd quid for Ty Hafan and Help for Heroes is the end result.
                                          @steveatucker Whoever designed that badge has already ridiculed City far more than I ever could.
                                          @Dudley1927 up to you i guess.but don't like the way you've gone about it at all. enjoy the yids. i'm sure you'll get a warm welcome.
                                          I mean, that "speaking German" point is so baffilingly stupid it may have broken my brain. His entire feed is utterly moronic - he's retweeted that Telegraph article questioning the parenting of the parents of the six year old who got killed at the Batman screening. You'd never guess he was a journalist.

EDIT: Ah, I see people are ahead of me.

Comment

The Redbirds

I am onto it with the South Wales Echo but am being somewhat stifled by having to explain to them that the remarks from Tucker aren't the ones prefaced "@stevetucker"

Comment

The Redbirds

I've spoken with Steve Tucker who is mortified that what he wrote might be seen to be racist or deemed offensive. I understand Spurs fans often use the term as a nickname and Steve says he was using it in this context. I've told him that that may well be, but it isn't appropriate for one of our journalists to use the term.

He will be removing it from Twitter and apologising for any offence caused.

As regards the comment about speaking German if the outcome of WW2 had been any different, I don't feel there is any need to remove it from Twitter.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely

Tim Gordon
                                              Editor
                                              South Wales Echo

Comment

The Redbirds

I don't understand how the 'speaking German' comment can be used against someone who is standing up against an undemocratic decision.

Surely 'when things got tough or went not to our liking' includes when a certain Mr Hitler started invading people.

We'd have been speaking German if we'd gone along with the totalitarian maniac.

EDIT: I say 'we' as I'm from UK. No offence meant to German speakers who already speak German of course.

Comment

The Redbirds

It would have been funnier if he'd said "speaking English".

Comment

The Redbirds

The news coverage of the friendly on Saturday was depressingly passive about the change.

Segue link on the BBC - Joe Allen moved from Swansea to Liverpool and will now have to get used to playing in red. As will Cardiff City...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X