The Redbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Redbirds

I can't help feeling that kit obsessor Harry is going to love this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17996534

Cardiff City could rebrand from blue to red

Cardiff City are considering a rebranding which could mean a change of colour and a significant cash injection, BBC Wales Sport understands.

This may involve the team playing in red instead of their traditional blue.

The club's Malaysian investors believe red is a more dynamic colour for marketing in Asia, as well as of more national significance in Wales.

No final decisions have been taken, but the owners are keen to put more money at manager Malky Mackay's disposal.

Mackay had to almost rebuild his squad from scratch when he took over last summer following the sacking of Dave Jones.

Despite the early-season disruption, Cardiff managed to reach the Carling Cup final and the Championship play-off semi-finals before losing to West Ham.

The Welsh club's main investor, Vincent Tan, is also understood to be keen to develop the club's training facilities.

While the shirts and club badge could change colour, Cardiff City sources categorically deny that the club - whose nickname is "the Bluebirds" - will not become known as "the 'Red Dragons''.
    I see Vincent Tan is unconcerned by the FFP.

The Redbirds

Why do you say the latter, David?

Comment

The Redbirds

The "significant cash injection" bit?

Comment

The Redbirds

Well, Cardiff currently run at a huge loss, and this statement:

No final decisions have been taken, but the owners are keen to put more money at manager Malky Mackay's disposal.
        Suggests they are going to throw money more money into the black hole.

Comment

The Redbirds

blue hole, surely...

Comment

The Redbirds

Harry's been hinting at this on the kit thread for over a week. Unsurprinsingly, he's thinking of giving up his season ticket if they go forward with it.

As for me, there are only two things I think of when I hear "Redbirds":

or

Comment

The Redbirds

Comment

The Redbirds

This really is worthy of a supporter boycott of massive proportions.

Comment

The Redbirds

Indeed it is.

It's also interesting to examine the logo for Tan's business empire:

Comment

The Redbirds

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                    This really is worthy of a supporter boycott of massive proportions.
                    Well, I'm pretty much finished with the club if it happens and I'm a big lad.

Seriously, the supporters groups are meeting club officials tonight and I hope they are as strident in opposition to them as required.

Comment

The Redbirds

Although based on the info I have from FA contacts it's a fait accompli.

I'm going to be stockpiling tins of blue paint for the protests.

Comment

The Redbirds

Are other supporters as opposed to this as you, Harry? I only ask because it seems like a staggeringly insensitive decision on the part of the club if so.

Comment

The Redbirds

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how Leeds United supporters reacted to their colours change in the 1960s from yellow and blue to white?

Comment

The Redbirds

The words "publicity stunt" leap to mind.

Comment

The Redbirds

My Name Is Ian wrote:
                              Are other supporters as opposed to this as you, Harry? I only ask because it seems like a staggeringly insensitive decision on the part of the club if so.
                              I think a significant amount are and another significant amount will be whores for the promise of money and success.

Finding out where the balance lies between those groups will be the interesting part.

Comment

The Redbirds

The Exploding Polnik wrote:
                                The words "publicity stunt" leap to mind.
                                Well, the story itself isn't, this is definitely the club's plan and the kit and badge have already been seen by the Football League and there are claims they have tried to stop the switch and will alter their rules to stop other clubs doing the same in the future. I'm not sure how true those claims are because such a re-branding has happened before with FL clubs.

Comment

The Redbirds

My tame Cardiff supporter is writing something about this. He's pretty furious about it, I think. This, though:

"red is a more dynamic colour for marketing in Asia"

strikes me as particularly ridiculous. I mean, my name might be more "dynamic for marketing in Asia" if I changed it to Maxxx Awesome III. Wouldn't make it a good idea, though.

(Actually it might, but that's really not the point I'm trying to make)

Comment

The Redbirds

dalliance wrote:
                                    Out of curiosity, does anyone know how Leeds United supporters reacted to their colours change in the 1960s from yellow and blue to white?
                                    I have been wondering, Palace and Stockport have suffered this in the past too of course and there must be more.

I think the culture of identification with a club's colours and iconography is possibly a lot stronger than it used to be and, I hope at least, that Cardiff's century plus of playing in blue and as The Bluebirds is too important to give up.

I'm wondering if AFC Wimbledon might not be seeing an awful lot more of me in the future, though of course I can't go to their bloody away games for a similar reason.

Comment

The Redbirds

dalliance wrote:
                                      That wasn't so much a change as a re-emphasis. Except for a couple of years white was always part of Leeds kit, even if it was usually just the shorts. Blue and yellow have remained as accent/change colours ever since the alteration in the 60s. What's happening at Cardiff appears much more radical

Comment

The Redbirds

My Name Is Ian wrote:
                                        My tame Cardiff supporter is writing something about this. He's pretty furious about it, I think. This, though:

"red is a more dynamic colour for marketing in Asia"

strikes me as particularly ridiculous. I mean, my name might be more "dynamic for marketing in Asia" if I changed it to Maxxx Awesome III. Wouldn't make it a good idea, though.
                                        Having worked on design projects for a number of Chinese clients over the years, I can testify to the desirability of red. However in this context it seems spurious. Asian soccer teams do not all play in red. What's more, so far as marketing goes, a change to red pits Cardiff against Manchester United and Liverpool, two of the strongest British soccer brands in the world. This feels more like a symbolic example of control, what the owners expect in return for their investment.

Comment

The Redbirds

That's exactly why I thought it was interesting that Tan's own corporate colour is blue.

Comment

The Redbirds

Sure. A guy of his age and background is not going to be limited by cultural associations and preferences, and neither, I would imagine, are his young target market (where's Chinglish Teacher?)

Comment

The Redbirds

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                              This feels more like a symbolic example of control, what the owners expect in return for their investment.
                                              This. Perfectly put.

Comment

The Redbirds

Indeed. Assuming it all goes through as has been suggested, it is such a ludicrous idea that the muscle flexing theory is as good a one as any but you have to wonder how these guys made their money. Also, as has been pointed out, it isn't even their corporate colour.

From what I have seen recently, in one way it is less bad than we initially thought in that the stadium isn't going to be re-branded red which would have been a more permanent and irreversible change. On the other hand, it is worse as they want to change the badge.

Having said this, we suffered a vile badge change and slight attempt at re-branding under Hammam and a kit change can be temporary if people boycott season tickets and red merchandise. The problem is, however, that you can't underestimate football supporters enough it seems, as was seen under Hammam. I would say that roughly it is 50:50 at the moment between people who are against it and people who don't care or accept it as inevitable.

It will be interesting to see what happens after an official announcement with all the details whether outrage will start to increase. The other issue is that, were this to happen and we get promoted, that would be it permanently, you feel, as there seem to be people who accept EPL status over everything. Indeed, it may be that, even without a promotion, a season would be enough to quieten all but a hardcore.

Within a football context, this has to be the worse thing to happen after a club collapsing, a town change or a name change. Unlike those three, it is, at least, less permanent which is encouraging but, with City supporters (like many others, I suppose), they are remarkably compliant when money and the promise of EPL status is waved in front of them so now is the time when any consensus against has to be mobilised.

I have to say that the FL involvement has only been mentioned in the last couple of hours and I am surprised as to what their actions could have been if they intended to do anything. Has there been a post-Franchise change in rules as to major changes in club colours/badge?

Comment

The Redbirds

While trying to find a photo of Newport County's blue home kit 1976/77 I stumbled upon this.

WTF?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X