Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you think players at level 8 in the pyramid earn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you think players at level 8 in the pyramid earn?

If Kendal Town are typical, not much.

I was stunned how little.

It's why someone shoving a few quid into a lower step club can make a big difference.

Comment

What would be a weekly wage bill divided by income from the gate and bar?

Comment

I used to know someone who played up front for Great Wakering Rovers, Essex Senior League / Isthmian league one north and he was getting ?200 a week, cash in hand.

Comment

Do Kendal have most of their players on contracts? I know at Step 4 in the non-league pyramid it's not a given. That does seem a low amount though, unless the bonuses make up for the low amount per game - I know some Step 5 clubs are paying more than that, especially those who attract decent crowds.

Comment

No idea about contracts but I heard that one or two month ones were commonplace at this level and not worth a light really.

I would imagine step 4 and 5 players are paid a hell of a lot more.

I know of competitive amateur teams who paid local semi-pro 'ringers' to turn out for them in Manchester Sunday leagues and paid a lot more than ?20 - thirty five years ago.

Comment

Kendal take players on loan from Carlisle so, ignoring bonuses and petrol money, it looks like a typical first year pro on loan from Carlisle is getting paid more than the rest of his team put together (albeit Carlisle will be paying it not Kendal). That does seem low, maybe it is unusually low this season because of the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                I used to know someone who played up front for Great Wakering Rovers, Essex Senior League / Isthmian league one north and he was getting ?200 a week, cash in hand.
                There are tax inspectors on this board, you know.

Comment

Greenwich Borough were paying similar two or three seasons ago, no idea of it was in a brown envelope or not.

Comment

There was certainly some dodgy and/or unsustainable deals going on there, which is why they've been without a league place or ground since the start of this year.

Comment

On the other hand, many players pay weekly subs to train in the same league, I know that was the case for London Bari when they were in existence. Many other players will travel significant distances to train, I know a number of players and coaching staff at Takeley lived in London.

Incidentally, players at Clapton Community FC were offered game appearance fees and all refused as it's not the done thing at tier 11 and the players didn't want to cause animosity with players at other clubs.

Comment

I can't even remember what ours were paid when we were at level eight, and I was making the call then. It was more than 20 quid a week then, though, and that was sixteen years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

There are tax inspectors on this board, you know.
                          Fewer than there used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                            If Kendal Town are typical, not much.

I was stunned how little.

The issue with that quote, is that the reader deduces that that the players are on ?20 a week.

However, its ?20 a game, and at step 8 they will mostly be playing twice a week. Add to that is the bonuses will usually equal that ?20, so a couple of clean sheets and wins and a defender will be on ?120 a week. Add on the petrol expenses, and it soon gets into the ?150-?200 a week range for a player if the club are doing reasonably well.

Club owners always want to talk down how much they pay, so always quote the very basic match fee. The player will be on Plenty of Fish boasting to potential step 8 WAGS about the ?200 a week he is getting.

Comment

Well, this thread has educated me about Plenty of Fish, of which I was previously unaware.

Comment

Farmers Only is next on the circuit

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post

The issue with that quote, is that the reader deduces that that the players are on ?20 a week.

However, its ?20 a game, and at step 8 they will mostly be playing twice a week. Add to that is the bonuses will usually equal that ?20, so a couple of clean sheets and wins and a defender will be on ?120 a week. Add on the petrol expenses, and it soon gets into the ?150-?200 a week range for a player if the club are doing reasonably well.

Club owners always want to talk down how much they pay, so always quote the very basic match fee. The player will be on Plenty of Fish boasting to potential step 8 WAGS about the ?200 a week he is getting.
                                  At the lower levels of the pyramid, any pay has massive seasonal variation too. You might start the season getting expenses only from Waltham Abbey, then score a few goals, then move to Canvey Island to bolster their title challenge and get ?100 a week. Then by mid-February, when it looks like Maldon and Tiptree have pulled ahead you find yourself back where you started.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post

This argument may hold water for teams from this level who have a regular flow of fixtures and are - at least - moderately successful.

To address the first of those issues, due to circumstances beyond their control Kendal Town haven't played a competitive game since 31st October and are not due to play again until 5th December. Not even ?20 for players in that time.

Concerning bonuses. Kendal have won 3 games in all competitions so far this season, achieving 3 clean sheet. That's ?120 in bonuses (based on your calculations) since early September.

If you take the previous, truncated season into account, from mid August 2019 to the early close of the season in early 2020 Kendal won only 5 games achieving 1 clean sheet. That would mean ?120 in bonuses over seven months.

Kendal avoided relegation in 2018/19 despite having been in the bottom two at the end of the season by virtue of Colwyn Bay decamping to the Welsh League and giving Kendal a reprieve.

They were also in the bottom two and set for relegation in 2019/20 before Covid came along and the season was scrapped.

They are a poor side at this level - but ultimately someone has to be. Despite that I think the pay rates are shockingly poor. The petrol allowance would have to be uncharacteristically generous for a player to make it financially worthwhile to play for Kendal. God knows what coverage for them is like if they sustain serious injury.

Comment

Bit of a niche question I know, but Tony do you know where Kendal get their players from and whether they even train in Kendal? There can't be a lot of players round there and few clubs nearby to provide that sort of local overlap you get at that level, so presume they get a lot from Lancashire?

Comment

South Lakes area represents slim pickings for players so they tend, apparently, to go to Lancashire (Preston, Blackpool, Lancaster City etc) looking for released players or loan deals - Emil Jaaskelainen, son of Jussi, is currently at Kendal on loan from Blackpool for example. Perhaps an odd scrap from Carlisle and after that it's local amateur players.

Comment

I didn't realise how many players they have on loan from Carlisle this year - I knew Charlie Birch was there (he was on the fringe of the first team squad at Carlisle last season so there is a bit of interest in his progress) but there are apparently three others. Also they are the only four we have out on loan (according to Wikipedia anyway) so it looks like there are closer ties now - in previous years they would be spread to Workington and Annan as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            Well, this thread has educated me about Plenty of Fish, of which I was previously unaware.
                                            Hmm, that sounds too much like a husband who's wife wants to know why they have private browsing switched on.

Comment

I met my wife through Plenty of Fish, 12 years ago next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                I didn't realise how many players they have on loan from Carlisle this year - I knew Charlie Birch was there (he was on the fringe of the first team squad at Carlisle last season so there is a bit of interest in his progress) but there are apparently three others. Also they are the only four we have out on loan (according to Wikipedia anyway) so it looks like there are closer ties now - in previous years they would be spread to Workington and Annan as well.
                                                No I didn't realise there were four - I thought two at most. Of course the rapid turnover of players at this level means you need inside information in order to keep up with squad comings and goings and my intel stream is a bit weak at Kendal.
                                                That new player-manager Chris Humphrey is a former Preston player gives hope that his connections at North End might open a few doors.

Comment

According to Carlisle's Wiki page:

Charlie Barnes (on loan to Kendal Town until Jan 2021)
                                                  Charlie Birch (on loan to Kendal Town until May 2021)
                                                  Jamie Armstrong (on loan to Kendal Town until Jan 2021)
                                                  Liam Lightfoot (on loan to Kendal Town until Jan 2021)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X