No announcement yet.

Clubs Playing Home Games At Other Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1993 I saw Vitesse Arnhem play PSV at NEC Nijmegen's ground. It was the last home game of the season for Vitesse and their pitch had already been dug-up in preparation of relaying a new surface for the next season. We only found out about this switch when we turned up at the stadium a couple of days before to buy tickets as we would have gone to the wrong ground on the day !

It is not unusual in the Czech Republic for clubs to play at other stadiums. This year Pardubice have to play in Prague at Bohemians Dolicek stadium ( 120km away ) as their ground has been deemed to be unfit for top flight football. The irony is that Bohemians had to play at Slavia's Eden stadium in 2010/11 as Dolicek was supposedly not suitable, but was allowed the following season after an appeal. Both Sparta and Slavia have played a season at the Strahov stadium when their own stadiums were being rebuilt, whilst Slavia had to play their European ties in the late 1990s/early 2000s in Strahov as the old Eden didn't meet UEFA requirements.

Viktoria Zizkov are having to play at the Prosek stadium this season as their quaint ground has been declared not suitable for second level Czech football.

Comment

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post

"The referee Mr Denis Howell of Birmingham, a former Labour M.P"

Howell would soon be an MP again, being elected for Birmingham Small Heath on 23 March 1961, with two long spells as Minister for Sport (with temporary responsibilities during the second spell as Minister for Drought, Minister for Floods, and Minister for Snow).

Comment

Even though I love to root around stationery shops I'm surprised to find Platignum still make pens. I wonder if getting one from your parents is still seen as a milestone in your life?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Even though I love to root around stationery shops I'm surprised to find Platignum still make pens. I wonder if getting one from your parents is still seen as a milestone in your life?
          Used to be Parker in our family, though don't know if that is a step up or down.

Comment

I think I had an Osmiroid when I was at school. Though my current fountain pen is a Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Used to be Parker in our family, though don't know if that is a step up or down.
              I got a lovely Cross pen from my family for my 30th (and a watch off my mum and dad for my 21st).

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Any chance of posting the appropriate page from the Tranmere book?
                Hope that’s worked. A ground record at the time which I hadn’t realised so must be in the top few Anfield attendances

Comment

Division 3 North had a Cup?* Four clubs exceeding 100 goals is extraordinary.

*Yep https://www.fchd.info/cups/div3ncup1933-34.htm
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-11-2020, 23:24.

Comment

Worst season in our history. So far...

Comment

Originally posted by shackleford View Post

That was my hunch - home game against Lossie switched to Lossie's ground. It saves one of the teams travelling and means they can get punters through the gates and probably sell hospitality too - the clubs might have agreed to split the takings. Lossie tend to have a decent enough home gate, so Fort might even make more money from that game than from a home tie....
                      An update on this - Fort William's home match with champions Brora Rangers is being played at Brora's Dudgeon Park today. I assume it is a weather thing. Fort are 6-0 and one man down....

Comment

Working...
                      X