Clubs Playing Home Games At Other Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    How many ex-league clubs could be added to that list (having played all their home games since relegation on that same ground)?
    Ahem...

Comment

Apologies. In adition to Wrexham...

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
        It's weird they're still called The Exiles
        Innit, though think they're more regularly referred to as (The) County or The 'Port but both of those really just emphasise their lack of a really meaningful current nickname.

I'd like their original nickname of The Ironsides to be more widely used.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Newcastle played Leeds at Hillsbrough in 1971 as a spill over from the Elland Rd WBA carry on the previous season. Dont think we we the only team affected by Leeds closure either
          I read that it was a 5 match ban from Elland Road but I can only find 4 games played elsewhere.

21,8.71 Leeds 0 Wolves 0 at Leeds Road

25.8.71 Leeds 1 Spurs 1 at Boothferry Park

01.9.71 Leeds 5 Newcastle 1 at Hillsborough

04.9.71 Leeds 2 Palace 0 at Leeds Road

Last edited by cantagalo; 14-11-2020, 09:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

How does it work that Enfield could get a lock out when Spurs were not. I can't see there being that many latent Enfield fans, even allowing for them being one of the top non-league clubs of the time nor Barnsley bringing thousands. What was the attraction of the tie, the chance to witness history?
            There's probably a few reasons why the attendance was so high. Off the top of my head I've got;

Before the first match the Enfield manager said that Barnsley played 'like a bunch of camels' which the media immediately seized upon. This was a during a Barnsley golden era (two promotions in three years playing great football) so it rubbed people up the wrong way around here.
            The FA Cup was more popular then and in the build up to the replay it was in the sports pages of national newspapers.
            Enfield played in the same colours as Spurs. I can't prove this was a factor, but there were certainly a lot of Spurs scarves in the ground - like it was their second favourite team.

Barnsley took about 7.500 and we were crammed in behind the goal. The only other time I've been as squashed was getting out of Millmoor. Fans were coming into the ground up until half time (it was all pay on the gate) with the final few being put in the emergency gangway which prevented anyone going anywhere. And yes, they had fences at the front. At the end of the game there was violence everywhere. I got kicked and it was terrifying. I'd just turned fourteen and have never liked Spurs since. (Apologies to all the decent Tottenham fans on here.)

Comment

Oh great. Thanks cantagalo. I had it in mind that Leeds had played at Huddersfield but it doesn't appear in Southport Zeb's list nor the book he has quoted (of which I have a copy). It's such a comprehensive book that I thought it must have been me, and not the book, that made the mistake.

I quite like The Exiles as Newport County's nickname as it refers specifically to the club's history. When I was little, books listing club nicknames used to say that Middlesbrough's was also The Ironsides but I've never seen it used other than in those books and in discussions such as these.
              Last edited by Capybara; 14-11-2020, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Also do Newport count as only being a league club from 2013 playing at Rodney Parade? While the original club collapsed in 1989 the reformed club still carry & continue the club history from 1912 formation which includes the games at Somerton Park.
                Newport County's league history before 1989 should definitely count. It's the same club.

Comment

I am reliably informed that Liverpool have never played a first team home game away from Anfield, league or cup, peace or war. Anfield has hosted two domestic matches: Man Utd - Arsenal in 1971 and Marine - Rochdale in 1989:

Comment

Also:

Liverpool were the away team for the League Cup 2nd Round Leg game v Wigan Athletic on 04.10.1989 at Anfield.

Comment

If Liverpool had beaten Leeds in the semi-final 0f the 1971 Fairs Cup the home leg of the final would have been played away from Anfield due to building work. Evidently both Goodison and OT were possibilities.

Comment

Bury switched a League Cup fourth round tie against Manchester United from Gigg to Old Trafford in 1987. This footage is taken from Sportsnight that night. It was preceded by a newsflash about the Kings Cross fire.

For years we had a tape in our stack of VHS cassettes with a yellowing label stuck to it. In my dad’s handwriting in faded ink, it says ‘Bury-Manchester United DO NOT USE’. The moment when Jamie Hoyland gave Bury the lead at the Stretford End was perilously close to wearing out.

Comment

Do you reckon Tony Gubba was actually in the ground there? Interesting fact that Man U had never won it, which makes me wonder: what was the last BRC to win its first League Cup?

Comment

When I worked at the BBC, Gubba came into our newsroom. I couldn’t stop myself from talking to him but he did remember the game.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

I've seen both Clyde and Hamilton play home games at Firhill back in the day, seen Thistle play a home game at Clydebank's former Kilbowie ground (Firhill's pitch was being relaid after several years of being battered by both Thistle and Clyde), and Albion Rovers at Motherwell.
                              Firhill seems to be a hot choice for this kind of thing. I watched the Dons get knocked out of the Wee Cup on penalties by Queen's Park there about 15 years ago. Not sure what was up with Hampden, a big mega concert possibly. Firhill also had a rugby team (Glasgow Somethings?) playing there for a few years I think.

Throwing another one in - Keith were drawn at home against Rangers in the Scottish Cup in the 1990s and switched the game to Pittodrie for a big payday (losing 10-1.....).
                              Last edited by shackleford; 15-11-2020, 22:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                Anfield has hosted two domestic matches: Man Utd - Arsenal in 1971 and Marine - Rochdale in 1989:
                                And Everton matches, of course.

Forgot Harrogate had to dig up their pitch, so that's them off the list, and happy to take the view Newport are the same club to all intents and purposes so they are removed too.

Now if I take cup matches into account, Newcastle as mentioned above were forced to play home matches elsewhere, I'll try and check the other clubs but this could take a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
                                  Now if I take cup matches into account, Newcastle as mentioned above were forced to play home matches elsewhere, I'll try and check the other clubs but this could take a while...
                                  I got a lot of the Liverool info from a FB LFC historical group. I'm sure there are similar groups for other clubs, all nerds like us.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                    Bury switched a League Cup fourth round tie against Manchester United from Gigg to Old Trafford in 1987. This footage is taken from Sportsnight that night. It was preceded by a newsflash about the Kings Cross fire.

For years we had a tape in our stack of VHS cassettes with a yellowing label stuck to it. In my dad’s handwriting in faded ink, it says ‘Bury-Manchester United DO NOT USE’. The moment when Jamie Hoyland gave Bury the lead at the Stretford End was perilously close to wearing out.
                                    I was in the away end that night. If I'm right that you played at Bramhall Lane the previous round I was there too. It doesn't show it on the footage but i have a memory of a cynical assault by Colin Gibson on a Bury winger being the game's decisive moment, Bury being by far the better team up to that point. Does that ring any bells?

Comment

Originally posted by shackleford View Post

Firhill seems to be a hot choice for this kind of thing. I watched the Dons get knocked out of the Wee Cup on penalties by Queen's Park there about 15 years ago. Not sure what was up with Hampden, a big mega concert possibly. Firhill also had a rugby team (Glasgow Somethings?) playing there for a few years I think.
                                      Glasgow Rugby played there from 2007-2012 in their current "Warriors" guise and I think played the odd match there prior too, some of them under their short-lived "Caledonians" suffix.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-11-2020, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post

I was in the away end that night. If I'm right that you played at Bramhall Lane the previous round I was there too. It doesn't show it on the footage but i have a memory of a cynical assault by Colin Gibson on a Bury winger being the game's decisive moment, Bury being by far the better team up to that point. Does that ring any bells?
                                        It does. The winger would be David Lee, who went on to play in the top flight with Southampton and Bolton (as much as it pains me to say that).

He was brilliant, Didsy. When we played Everton in the League Cup in 88/89 (second round - the home leg was my first ever night match), Pat Van Den Hauwe was substituted before he was sent off, such was the extent Lee was taking the piss out of him. After yet another vicious challenge, Lee picked the ball up and pointed at it to say "It's this you want, not me".

Bury beat QPR 1-0 in the previous round to the United game, when they were top of the First Division. The Sheff U game was in the second round and Andy Hill scored the best gol of his career in the home leg against the team he supported as a boy. He'd not seen the goal on screen for years and I was able to show it him on my DVDs, which was special.

Comment

I am reliably informed that Liverpool have never played a first team home game away from Anfield, league or cup, peace or war. Anfield has hosted two domestic matches: Man Utd - Arsenal in 1971 and Marine - Rochdale in 1989:

31 years ago today as Futbology has just reminded me. Awful game, quite the party though.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Stevie, I’ve arrived late for this thread - must have went to the wrong ground! I remember all of those apart from the Fort at Lossie. What was the background there? Per google maps it’s 111 miles between the two. Inverness is 66 miles. Why not play at Clach?
                                            it was relatively recently,possibly even last season or one before
                                            fort had had their usual season of match postponents,things werent looking hopeful for catching up and so they played a match at lossie-think th reasoning was that lossie is amost always reliable to not be postponed,clach can be a turnip pitch late inn season or maybe they were at home.it might even have been lossie they were pllaying,cant recall

Comment

Realised I had a copy of the Complete Record of the FA Cup (2002) on my bookshelf, but it seems a bit hit and miss on matches being switched

The Newcastle ties mentioned above aren't shown as home games for them.
                                              Having consulted the Tranmere Complete Record, we switched our 1934 FA Cup tie v Liverpool to Anfield, but this is shown as a home tie for Liverpool in the FA Cup book. Inclined to believe the Tranmere record, would make sense to have switched this game.

Two that did reveal themselves were Rochdale playing their home tie with Barrow in 1949 at Oldham for some reason, and a bit less clear cut is Preston's first round replay with Brighton in 1908. This was abandoned in extra time after 112 minutes due to bad light, but when it was replayed, noted still as the first replay, it was at Stamford Bridge.

If only Rothmans went back another 50 years...

Comment

Any chance of posting the appropriate page from the Tranmere book?

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post

it was relatively recently,possibly even last season or one before
                                                  fort had had their usual season of match postponents,things werent looking hopeful for catching up and so they played a match at lossie-think th reasoning was that lossie is amost always reliable to not be postponed,clach can be a turnip pitch late inn season or maybe they were at home.it might even have been lossie they were pllaying,cant recall
                                                  That was my hunch - home game against Lossie switched to Lossie's ground. It saves one of the teams travelling and means they can get punters through the gates and probably sell hospitality too - the clubs might have agreed to split the takings. Lossie tend to have a decent enough home gate, so Fort might even make more money from that game than from a home tie....
                                                  Last edited by shackleford; 19-11-2020, 21:05.

Comment

This is exactly the kind of thing which will now obsess me until I know more. Anyone here with access to contemporary newspaper archives or other relevant sources?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X