Clubs Playing Home Games At Other Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubs Playing Home Games At Other Grounds

Man U had a play a European game at Plymouth due to a UEFA ban.

How many other examples?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-11-2020, 21:09.

I've seen Chester at Macclesfield, Brighton at Gillingham, Bristol Rovers at Bath, Wealdstone at Edgware and Northwood, Wimbledon at Crystal Palace and Hendon at Wembley and Harrow.

Comment

Bohemians had to play in Cork ( beat Omonia Nicosia) and Dundalk ( drew with Dynamo Dresden) in 1979 following crowd disturbances during a game against Newcastle the year before.

When we were building our grandstand in 1999, we spent 6 months groundsharing with Shelbourne in Tolka Park. We will have to do it again, whenever the City Council get round to rebuilding Dalymount.

Dundalk had to play a European game in the Netherlands, for similar reasons as us and Manchester United, this time Linfield were the problematic visitors.

Comment

ICT at pittodrie,clach at Inverness rugby club,Bonar bridge at dornoch,Celtic at hampden,hearts at Murrayfield, Cowdenbeath at East fife,cove rangers pretty much everywhere in Aberdeenshire,Clyde at firhill/Douglas park,fort William at lossiemouth,Gretna at motherwell
        away from Scotland,Atalanta at the San siro,sassuolo in regio Emilia,shaktar Donetsk in lviv,honved at MTK,ujpest at vasas

Comment

Orient played a couple of home games at Wembley Stadium in 1930.

Comment

Wednesday played their Intertoto games at Millmoor in 1995 - ostensibly because of pre Euro 96 development work on the South Stand, though there was a general suspicion the club couldn't be arsed to open Hillsborough for the Intertoto.

Sheffield United had a couple of home games at Hillsborough in 1940-41 because of Blitz damage to Bramall Lane. We also hosted a Leeds game circa 1971, think it was because Elland Road was closed following hooliganism.

Manchester City had a UEFA Cup tie at Oakwell when the Etihad was booked for a concert. Tottenham used Franchise for a League Cup tie when Wembley wasn't available. Harrogate Town played at a variety of grounds across the north when their pitch turned into a bog a few winters back.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Man U had a play a European game at Plymouth due to a UEFA ban.

How many other examples?
              We've also played home games at Anfield and Maine Road. And the Victoria Ground in Stoke.

Comment

FC United have played home games at Gigg Lane, Bower Fold, Tameside Stadium and Broadhurst Park. And probably somewhere else I've missed.

Comment

In 2002, I watched Reading in their final pre season friendly, which was away at Dorchester mid week. The following Saturday, I went to see my mate play for Gravesend who were away at Yeovil in the Conference but due to the Huish pitch being reseeded, was also played at Dorchester. Three days later, Reading were away at Bournemouth in the league, but due to their ground rebuild not being ready, was also played at Dorchester. So three games in 7 days at one ground, with three different home teams.

Incidentally, for the friendly game, we were sat in the main stand infront of the press seats. Reading scored, with the player being listed as a trialist (it was actually Ben Thornley). Someone in the press seats asked us who the player was, so I just said my name. I didn't think anything of it until we went down for the Bournemouth game and meeting a mate in a pub, he had the local Dorchester paper with him, which had a report from the friendly game, with me being listed as one of the scorers.

Comment

Charlton at Crystal Palace and West Ham.

QPR played at White City in the 30s and the early 60s.

Comment

Watched Leicester playing and beating Rotherham in Sheffield (Don Valley Stadium). Playing Burton at Derby in the FACup. Leicester beating Portsmouth in 1993 in the play off semi final at (cough, spit) the City Ground.
                      Last edited by nmrfox; 07-11-2020, 22:40.

Comment

Juventus choose to play their home leg games of the 1995 UEFA Cup semi-final and final at the San Siro due to a dispute with the municipal authorities in Turin, who owned the delle Alpi. Although the opportunity to pull in a bigger crowd than they would have with their increasingly flaky local fanbase* may also have been a factor. Both games were +80,000 sell-outs needless to say.

*Usually put down to a dislike of the stadium more than anything else.
                        Last edited by George; 07-11-2020, 22:44.

Comment

Last year Barry had to play the home leg of thrir Europa tie at Cardiff Athletic Stadium. Cardiff Met had to do the same the following week.

Comment

I also saw TNS play a home leg of a european tie at Cardiff City Stadium

Comment

Hmmm, I didn't bother mentioning the Don Valley years as I never considered it a football ground.

Comment

Lots of MLS teams this year courtesy of the Canadian border lockdown, plus NYCFC playing in Hartford when Yankess games took priority.

Comment

I’ve been to:
                                  Halifax v Tranmere at Bradford in the league cup in 2000. Only 600 there, Halifax had broken floodlights.

Motherwell v Steaua Bucharest at Airdrie in the Europa League qualifiers because the Fir Park pitch was being re-seeded.

Burscough v Prescot at Skelmersdale, I think because Burscough had been kicked out of their ground. Might be wrong.

Comment

There has been two this season in the Football League, with AFC Wimbledon starting their season at QPR whilst Plough Lane was moving from 'in progress' to 'will do for now', and Harrogate Town playing their first few home games at Doncaster until their new grass pitch took.

Maidstone United spent their entire three-year Football League existence playing at Watling Street in Dartford.

Comment

Until recently Manchester United had won more European Cup / CL knockout games at Manchester City's ground than Manchester City.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        I also saw TNS play a home leg of a european tie at Cardiff City Stadium
                                        They also played the home leg of their Champions League qualifier against Liverpool at the Racecourse. Mind you, we've had quite a few other teams use it for European games due to the paucity of UEFA-approved stadia amongst Welsh clubs, but that's probably the most famous example.

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post
                                          ICT at pittodrie,clach at Inverness rugby club,Bonar bridge at dornoch,Celtic at hampden,hearts at Murrayfield, Cowdenbeath at East fife,cove rangers pretty much everywhere in Aberdeenshire,Clyde at firhill/Douglas park,fort William at lossiemouth,Gretna at motherwell
                                          When I lived in Scotland I saw Gretna at Motherwell and Motherwell at Airdrie. Also, while strictly speaking a neutral venue, the Hibs v St J's 2007 league cup semi-final in Tynecastle felt like a home game as Hibs had been allocated all three of the usual home stands.

Elsewhere, I've seen Hull City in Craven Park (Hull KR) and AlbinoLeffe at Atalanta (as both a home and an away team in fact)

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

They also played the home leg of their Champions League qualifier against Liverpool at the Racecourse. Mind you, we've had quite a few other teams use it for European games due to the paucity of UEFA-approved stadia amongst Welsh clubs, but that's probably the most famous example.
                                            TNS used the Millenium Stadium for a UEFA Cup qualifier against Manchester City. I suspect it's the only ground to have hosted a qualifying round game and a final, with no matches in between.

Other grounds that have hosted various Welsh sides for European ties include Bangor, Newtown and Rhyl.

Comment

Dunfermline played Hafnafjordur at McDiarmid Park in Perth as the plastic pitch at East End Park meant it couldn’t host UEFA games.

I believe the hedge at Brechin means they can also not host European games, but don’t think they’re in much of a hurry to make alternative arrangements should the need arise.

Comment

Examples I've been to: Stoke v Boro at Port Vale in 1976 when there was storm damage at Stoke's ground, Fulham v Boro at Loftus Road when Fulham were unable to host Premier League fixtures at Craven Cottage, Hearts v Rangers at Murrayfield when Tynecastle was having works done.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  I've seen Chester at Macclesfield, Brighton at Gillingham, Bristol Rovers at Bath, Wealdstone at Edgware and Northwood, Wimbledon at Crystal Palace and Hendon at Wembley and Harrow.
                                                  Chester at Macclesfield was an interesting one. As I recall, Chester played at Moss Rose for at least a season after selling Sealand Rd, while their new ground was built. A couple of years later Macclesfield won the Conference and were refused entry to the Football League because their ground wasn't up to FL standard, which rather begs the question of why Chester were allowed to play there.
                                                  My local team Gresley Rovers suffered a similar rejection by the Conference after winning the Southern League in 1997. The Moat Ground is a small uneven ground set among houses, which an estate agent might optimistically describe as full of period character. It had a capacity of 2000, which hasn't been required now for many years, alas. Although a deal was agreed to use Derby's recently vacated Baseball Ground, the Conference refused promotion to Rovers on ground grading and distant runners-up Cheltenham got the promotion place. So I missed the chance to see Rovers play home games at the Baseball Ground.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X