No announcement yet.

The Funniest Goal Of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was the only goal as Carlisle beat Halifax in a Conference game in March 2005, and it came inside the last 5 minutes for added laughs.

Glenn Murray (yes, that one) puts a bit of shoulder on Halifax keeper Ian Dunbavin (one of Steven Gerrards mates in the infamous Phil Collins cd affray case), and Dunbavin makes a half-arsed stab at a stamp on Murray, which the ref misses but goes over to calm things down before waving play on, a gesture which Dunbavin completely misunderstands... with hilarious (for us) results.

The cherry on the icing was that I was matchball sponsor (40th birthday present from Mrs TrL) so me and a load of mates were sat up in the stand with a load of ale on board and a perfect view.

Comment

I was lucky enough to be at this game, where Shay Given proved himself famously to be the only Irishman who doesn't know where Dublin is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UeNGCNE2E4

Comment

Back in 2004 table topping (we may have been second or third at the time but did eventually end up champions, but any excuse to write those words) Argyle were struggling to get past a stubborn Swindon side when Mickey Evans reacted quickly and took this free kick given for the keeper picking up a backpass. Now whether Mickey realised it was supposed to be indirect or the Swindon goalie had a brain freeze has never been established, but as my mate's dad always maintained 'he's one gifted player but has no footballing brain" and the less kind would suggest the 'Trigger' nickname is well earned I suspect it's a bit of both.

And just to add to the confusion, as Swindon goalkeeper was also called Evans the goal has often wrongly been credited to Evans M. rather than Evans R. (og).

Comment

Not so much 'funny' as 'plain bizarre' - the goal that never was, from Alan Hudson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFeKOTEFsYQ

(First time I've ever seen that in colour, in fact.)

...and one that of course 'should' have stood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WevC_zuu2n4

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post

Sadly, it appears to be an apocryphal tale. If it was Workington v Southend, the game finished 5-0 according to this and other sources - https://www.11v11.com/teams/workingt...hend%20United/. And indeed Workington recorded no convincing wins to 1 in any of 1968/69, 69/70 or 70/71, when Burridge was at the club.
            I did wonder about that when reading the story, i.e. how many times Workington would have been 4-0 up in any game around that time.

Comment

Excuse the quality and "cheeky" tag, but one that I saw in person (and it was a torrid night weather-wise so cheered us right up):

Comment

There is this. https://twitter.com/i/status/1324665648824389632

(Don't know how to dis-embed the video from the tweet, sorry)
                Last edited by johnr; 06-11-2020, 12:38.

Comment

I remember the first goal in this one popping up on the classic blooper tapes of the 90s from the very early era of the backpass rule. Ball is rolled back, keeper clearly has a moment of "Oh sh*t, I can't touch it" panic...

Comment

Giggler referred to it earlier, but I didn't see it linked. Nothing will ever beat this.

Comment

The last time I laughed heartily at a goal being scored was Harry Kane's equaliser against Scotland in the 2-2 at Hampden in the WCQ in 2017. Griffiths had scored two ace late free-kicks, and the Scots were dancing. I must admit, I was happy for them. But then Kane headed in a ridiculous goal after a huge punt to the back post, and the joy of having equalised and then won a game they were behind in for ages was burst. It was Scottish football's glorious failure summed up with one more stupid goal.

Comment

This was pretty funny from almost exactly ten years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_L4WN0PzeY

Comment

Darren Mackie's 'classic' versus Kilmarnock is funnier than most

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Fitlike View Post
                            Darren Mackie's 'classic' versus Kilmarnock is funnier than most
                            Must be something about that ground...

Comment

After not scoring in their last 6 games, Aberdeen could do with goals like the above 2 just now

Comment

I don't know if this one was shared upthread but it is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  This was pretty funny from almost exactly ten years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_L4WN0PzeY
                                  It reminded me of this, from another League Cup final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekephV2RDMA

Comment

Probably not that amusing from our point of view, and I wasn't there to witness it (but know people who were), but Manchester City's Jim Melrose ensured that our wait to play at Wembley went on for another 22 years by scoring an aggregate winner in the 90th minute with his arse, in a Full Members Cup semi final at Maine Road in 1986. They, of course, lost the final to Chelsea 5-4.

Comment

Frank Sinclair's oggies are, of course, almost a complete subset of the comical goal genre. He scored some crackers when he was at Leicester, but here's my favourite one (at about 1:36:25) when playing for Chelsea, actually against his future employers (who can't say that they weren't forewarned of his defensive clumsiness), an easy clearance sabotaged by his poorly-executed back-heel:

Sitting at the other end of the ground, we couldn't figure out why the ball was in the back of the net. Frank, staring intently at the ground, with the occasional nervous glance at his team-mates to see if they'd noticed what he'd done, rather gave the game away.
                                      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 18-02-2021, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                                        Giggler referred to it earlier, but I didn't see it linked. Nothing will ever beat this.

Indeed.

Always and forever.

And I was there

(and referenced by the boy Gussett in his "Illustrated History of Football" as being responsible for the global economic crisis and collapse in the sub-prime mortgages e market due to confidence in the market collapsing)

Comment

And in this one, his best ever

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                            Frank Sinclair oggies are, of course, almost a complete subset of the comical goal genre. He scored some crackers for Leicester, but here's my favourite one (at about 1:36:25) when playing for Chelsea, an easy clearance which his attempted back-heel away ended with the predictable result:

Sitting at the other end of the ground, we couldn't figure out why the ball was in the back of the net. Frank staring intently at the ground, with the occasional nervous glance at his team-mates to see if they'd noticed what he'd done, was a bit of a giveaway.
                                            Love those generous commentator moments on unfortunate incidents – "Matt Elliot forced home", despite the video showing the ball was clearly trickling comfortably wide of the goal before poor Frank's intervention. Like when the stadium announcer joyfully announces a goal for a home player despite everyone in the ground having seen an away player heave the ball into his own net.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post
                                              Probably not that amusing from our point of view, and I wasn't there to witness it (but know people who were), but Manchester City's Jim Melrose ensured that our wait to play at Wembley went on for another 22 years by scoring an aggregate winner in the 90th minute with his arse, in a Full Members Cup semi final at Maine Road in 1986. They, of course, lost the final to Chelsea 5-4.
                                              Jim 'The Racist' Melrose.

Chris Kamara knows and dealt with him.

Comment

Working...
                                              X