Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've searched down 3 pages to find a women's football thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIFA announced how the 2023 WC will select its teams:

Directly:
    6 (-Australia) for Asia
    4 Africa
    4 CONCACAF
    3 CONMEBOL
    1 (a/k/a NZ) for Oceania
    11 UEFA, for a total of 29 direct slots

The remaining 3 will come from a 10 team playoff tournament, of which 2 slots go to Asia, Africa, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, and one to Oceania and UEFA.
    That tournament will serve as a test event for the hosts. 2 groups of 3, one of 4, with a seeded team in the 3 groups and 2 seeds in the 4. In the groups of 3, the unseeded team will play each other, winner plays the seed, winner of that goes to the WC. In the 4 team group, the seeds play an unseeded team, winners play each other, winner goes to the WC. Initial losers of the groups then get a friendly v AUS or NZ, so everyone gets at least 2 games

Comment

Interesting way of doing it. I’ve always liked the idea of a worldwide repecharge in qualifying, so that more of the better teams are at the Finals rather than geographical spread determining the lower end teams that play. Though I would have had more through that route than 3/32 - more like ~12 of the sides getting in that way.

Comment

Just enjoying video Xmas greets from Norn Iron's all conquering women. Bring on da Euro playoffs

Comment

Abby Dahlkemper signs a 2.5 year deal with Manchester City.

The SheBelieves Cup is 2/18-2/24, all in Orlando, USA, CAN, JPN, and BRA.

Comment

Vicky Jepson mutual consented at Liverpool with them still off the pace in the Championship.

Comment

Japan are going to introduce a more professionalised women's league. The Women Empowerment League, known as the WE League, will begin for the 2021/22 season, with the current top-flight Nadeshiko League becoming the second tier. Each WE League club must have at least five players signed to fully professional contracts that are not subject to a salary cap.

For 2012/22 there will be eleven clubs in the WE League, seven with affiliations to existing J-League clubs. Those seven are:

Urawa Reds
              Omiya Ardija Ventus
              JEF United Chiba
              NTV Tokyo Verdy Beleza
              Albirex Niigata
              Sanfrecce Hiroshima
              AC Nagano Parceiro

The four clubs without such affiliations are:

Mynavi Sendai
              Elfen Saitama
              Nojima Stella Kanagawa Sagamihara
              INAC Kobe Leonessa

Comment

Phil Neville has stepped down as head coach of England Women.

Comment

Jayne Ludlow's quit as Wales manager too. Not 100% clear where she's going (the vacant Olympics job perhaps?)

Comment

Shouldn't that gig go to a more recently successful international coach ?

It prob shouldnt, but the idea of a father and son as assistant coaching team in women"s football amuses me

Comment

Or indeed the only home nation coach still in her* position.

As for Ludlow, maybe she has been approached for the Scotland job? And Shelley Kerr for GB? I could ge behind Kerr for that gig, actually.

* - I must admit I don't know who the current NI coach is. So I don't know their gender, either. The female pronoun is there as the default.

Comment

BBC Radio 5 seemed to imply Jayne Ludlow is taking over the England job.

Comment

Although Twitter says she's got a job at FIFA.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            BBC Radio 5 seemed to imply Jayne Ludlow is taking over the England job.
                            England already have a new head coach signed up to start in September (Wiegman). So if this was the case, Ludlow would be quitting as permanent manager of her own nation to take over another as a temporary appointment. That doesn't sound likely...

Comment

Yeah. I may have misheard that.

Comment

Unless, of course, they actually mean the GB Olympic team. And and conflating that and England. But they wouldn't make that mist... Oh.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                  It prob shouldnt, but the idea of a father and son as assistant coaching team in women"s football amuses me
                                  Originally posted by Janik
                                  I must admit I don't know who the current NI coach is. So I don't know their gender, either. The female pronoun is there as the default
                                  Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 18-01-2021, 21:35.

Comment

Japan out, Argentina in for SheBelieves Cup

Comment

A bit of an eye-opener to read that AFC Wimbledon wouldn't be able to afford Emma Hayes.
                                      Last edited by fatbear; 03-02-2021, 11:12.

Comment

Well, she said we couldn't. I'm not saying she's wrong - I don't know. But I don't suppose she does either.

Comment

Obviously she won't be getting anything close to Little Tommy Tuckles over on the men's side, but I'm sure being within the Chelsea organisation she is remunerated pretty well.

Comment

Northern Ireland warm up for crucial playoff with England away friendly on 23 February. Live on BBC TV

Comment

US@Sweden 4/10 and probably France 4/13; Canada @ Wales 4/10 and England 4/13

Comment

The recently announced BBC/Sky broadcasting deal for the WSL deserves a comment. The money involved is decent for Women’s Football, 7-8 million quid per year from the TV companies to go on top of the 10 million Pounds over three seasons from the league sponsorship. Those numbers are beginning to be high enough for the professional set-up to be self-sustaining rather than relying on largesse from leading Mens clubs (though I doubt those sides will stop investing as making money from Women’s Football becomes an increasing possibility - they will want to stay at the top to make sure they are the prime beneficiaries).

However that isn’t the main thing - the biggie is the exposure that will come with it with three games per round of fixtures screened live on either BBC1/2, Sky Sports Football, Premier League or Main Event (one on the Beeb, two on Sky each weekend). Given the lack of regular live Football on free-to-air channels and previous audiences for Women’s games shown on the BBC’s main channels, it isn’t unreasonable to expect that on some weekends the game watched live by the most UK eyes might be a Women’s one...

Comment

Fridays at 6:30pm (one of the proposed slots for games) might be ideal for TV but it is not great for matchgoing fans, mind.

Talking of which, the timings of this weeks Champions League matches are weird in terms of TV viewing - 11:30 UK time for Barcelona vs Man City and 16:00 for Chelsea vs Wolfsburg. Only Bayern vs Rosengard (18:00 UK, 19:00 local) kicks off at a normal time. The other game, for reference, is an all-French affair - PSG vs Lyon at 17:00/18:00.

Comment

Said on another thread I wasn't totally sure what to make of Gemma Grainger's appointment as Wales manager, given her lack of experience at senior level (though obviously she has a tonne of experience managing age-group level football and lots of people who are more knowledgable than me appear to really rate her)..

Just listening to her on the Elis James podcast and she comes across very well. I'm excited to see what she can achieve.
                                                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09cdtnm

Comment

Working...
                                                    X