Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've searched down 3 pages to find a women's football thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've searched down 3 pages to find a women's football thread?

What a great final. The Everton keeper has become possessed by Gordon Banks' spirit.

I should be watching Manure vs Arsenal, but sod that.

Sorry I couldn't find the right thread.

I'm really glad for Georgia Stanway. Don't think Phil Neville has ever really used her properly. Very sorry for Everton. Proper Cup Final.

Comment

Manure. Proper team name. Thumbs up for being a proper women's football fan.

Comment

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...ge-wsl-2020-21

Comment

Last post 7 weeks ago. What's happened? I always loved the women's football threads on here.

It's only 15 months since a brilliant World Cup. And this was a brilliant FA Cup final.

​​

Comment

The international tournaments get plenty of traffic, but the English domestic thread hasn't exceeded three pages in any of the last five years as far as i can tell. Doraemon seems to have left us, Janik is busy being brilliant on the Covid threads, if Uros has disengaged it's understandable after what the FA has done to Doncaster Belles, and Kevin is a teacher isn't he? i suspect he's quite tied up at the mo.

As for me, i don't get to games any more and can't get enthused about a league dominated by Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester teams. Not to mention whoever wins the champions league.

But you're right, it's a pity.

Maybe merge the threads, Snake Plissken ? Thank ye!

Comment

Bit fucked up that man city were able to field lucy bronze in the cup final. I know she wasn't cup tied as she wasn't playing in england before, but surely some rule should have been improvised to prevent such a big money summer signing (for the womens game) playing at the business end of last season's cup.

Did anything similar happen in the mens fa cup?

Comment

The situation didn't arise in the men's FA Cup, as there wasn't a transfer window between the suspension of the tournament and its restart.

A stranger decision than allowing Bronze to play in the final was allowing City to use Chloe Kelly, who had played for Everton in earlier rounds.

Comment

I haven't really followed the WPL ,and having read the pessimistic article about Birmingham City women in this months WSC, I expected them to be bottom of the league ,instead of mid table and 6 points clear of Villa.

Didn't Spurs sign a USA superstar? She doesn't seem to have helped them much so far.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    Didn't Spurs sign a USA superstar? She doesn't seem to have helped them much so far.
                    Yes, Alex Morgan. She only played her first game for Spurs last week (she had a baby in May so has been getting back to fitness) so probably can't shoulder too much of the responsibility for their current league position.

Comment

I put NWSL stuff on the American thread, if interested.

Comment

Reviews of the Belarus and Taiwan Womens Premier League seasons just completed.......

https://fatbearssportingdiaries.blog...s-premier.html

https://fatbearssportingdiaries.blog...n-premier.html

Comment

Today's Guardian finally got round to profiling the true champion of women's football, its pioneer and visionary, a man who humbly styles himself creator and provider, propelled by "ideological commitment and holistic values" and a "constantly evolving drive" to make the world a more equal place (but not too equal): the blessed Jean-Michel Aulas.

It's an almost Soviet piece of hagiography, i reckon he wrote it himself.

Comment

There has to be a man, otherwise it's not important...

Comment

I thought that piece was well timed, given that DSK has also emerged from the lower circles of Hell

Comment

Are you suggesting...

Comment

I don't really want to think about it, but they each have very obvious issues with women

Comment

i understand that. The bit about his investment in women's football being "personally enriching" and "win-win" had me wincing too.

OL actually lost to PSG a few weeks ago, their first defeat in the French league in aeons. If the season continues they might well not win the title. Part of Aulas's PR drive is an attempt to contrast his "values" and profound love of gender equality with those dodgy Qataris from up the autoroute who are slyly displacing his team at the top of the women's pyramid.

Comment

He also has a noted history of creeping on women via DMs, unwanted texts and the like.

I have always found it very difficult to take sides between him and the Qataris.

Comment

Ugh, that adds a sinister angle to the eulogies from Hegerberg and Bronze.

And he seemed like such a nice guy.

Comment

There have been a few unexpected figures within Men’s Football who have made genuine commitments and contributions to the Women’s professional game. David Dein at Arsenal is another similar to Aulas. Far be it from me to suggest that both saw a cheap way of ensuring their club were regular national champions... (the least likely example of this was John Terry’s support of Chelsea Ladies).

Comment

Aye, the first French men's team to make a substantial investment in women's football was Montpellier, under Aulas's buddy Loulou Nicollin. The prospect of silverware was certainly part of it, but the ebullient bintrepreneur also had his eyes on subsidies that were being made available at a national level for 'minor' sports.

The development of MHSC Feminine was a partnership between Loulou and the late, long-serving mayor Georges "there are too many black players in the national team" Freche. It was part of a strategic plan to make the Languedoc region into the sports capital of France, which involved using subsidies from the Sports Ministry and from the EU to invest in infrastructure, to develop top-notch courses in sports coaching and theory and medicine and so on, as well as to bid to host the new national centres of excellence that had started to become widespread in the late 1990s. Thus a few years after its expensive new swimming pools opened, Montpellier had an elite water polo team, a handful of national champion swimmers, and the foremost diving squad in France. Subsidies also notably helped it to become a power in European handball.

When Nicollin decided to take over the local grassroots women's football team and make it professional in 2001, he knew he had the backing of the municipality and the region. (At times the team has even been sponsored directly by one of the various levels of government.) Aulas has very much followed this model of getting the city to share the costs of realising his ambitions – and making sure it would bail him out if they didn't come good – but it's not really part of a wider plan as it was with Freche: it's just a rich old creep squeezing money from the municipality for his own ego.

Comment

My god, is Nicollin still alive? Every thing you write is a joy, Laverte. I left France 25 years ago, but it never left me. Thank you.

Comment

Aw, thank you. That's a lovely thing to write.

i won't set foot in France in calendar year 2020, for the first time in 24 years i think. The place hasn't left me either, although it may have drifted a short distance during lockdown as my world has contracted.

Nicollin Sr went to the great recycling centre in the sky not long after MHSC won the men's title. His son Laurent is now in charge, a more reputable if less colourful character. The family bin collection empire now extends further than ever though, and with it the familiar stench.

Comment

Originally posted by laverte View Post
                                                  i won't set foot in France in calendar year 2020,
                                                  I haven't left the Valencia region all year, quite a novelty for me.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X