No announcement yet.

Bobby Charlton diagnosed with dementia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard the section Stevetc mentions. Sensitively handled by Savage and Sutton

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
      Did anyone catch the last 20 minutes of 606 just now? Christ that was sad. Two callers who were family carers for ex pros with dementia, complaining about PFA treatment. The final call was unbearable, well done to host callers for keeping it together to explain their situations, both of whom described as a nightmare.
      Bloody autocorrect, "both callers", not host. But Savage and Sutton in particular, who's ex-pro dad has dementia, are doing great work to expose the PFA brushing this issue under the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
        From the end of WW2 to Derby's second title in 1975, the title was shared around as follows

5 - Man United
        4 - Liverpool
        3 - Arsenal, Wolves
        2 - Derby, Everton, Leeds, Portsmouth, Spurs
        1 - Burnley, Chelsea, Ipswich, Man City

Given that no-one, Stanley Matthews aside, is going to be playing for 29 years, Bobby Charlton's three titles in the era is probably a top whack haul. I can imagine some Man United, Liverpool and Wolves players matched it. I doubt anyone surpassed it (temporaly Man United is possible as their 5 spanned 1952 to 1967, but... Munich).
        Four titles for Bill Foulkes between 1956 and 1967, five for Ian Callaghan between 1964 and 1977. Three's still pretty good going.

Comment

I think it was mentioned on the European Cup thread that Callaghan had the longest gap between first appearance in that competition and winning the title. Foulkes and Charlton might be the second and third in that list, having debuted on 12.9.56 and 17.10.56 v Anderlecht and Dortmund respectively.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-11-2020, 23:49.

Comment

Maurice Setters has died. Had Alzheimer's. A player of similar vintage to Charlton, at Man Utd and elsewhere, probably best known now for his later Ireland roles. Less known for being an Exeter City player, one of a rather short list of stars from the football hotbed of East Devon.

Comment

I was coming to post that on the Jack Charlton thread, given he was his assistant for the peaks with Ireland.

Comment

He was Jack Charlton's assistant at Wednesday too. (And after Jack left, briefly caretaker manager for a period when we played no games)

Comment

Working...
                X