The sad death of Simon Dobbin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sad death of Simon Dobbin

Simon Dobbin - the man who was left brain damaged after being attacked by 15 men outside a pub in Southend - has died aged 48. He was brutally set upon by 15 so called Southend supporters for a revenge attack after the Southend v Cambridge game in 2015. He was left brain damaged unable to walk, talk, feed himself or move independently. In 2018 his home was adapted by the BBC DIY SOS team to help his family cope.

The law was changed a few years ago to enable people to be charged with manslaughter or murder even if they had previously been convicted of assault. To be a murder victim you had to die within a year and a day of the attack but that has now changed and higher convictions are being made years after the attack. Lets hope the 12 men who were convicted of attacking him are now living in fear.

Simon Dobbin was left brain-damaged in the assault after a match in Southend in 2015.

Saw something about this yesterday, it's just awful.

Thanks for posting about it Paul.

Comment

Yes, very sad. RIP Simon.

Comment

I don't tend to believe in eye for an eye, or wishing ill on anyone, but this is one of those times when I hope the thugs who did this to this poor man get their comeuppance one day. It's an absolute travesty that the largest sentence any of them received was 5 years, even for the assault alone.

I can't imagine what that poor family have been through, and I was brought to tears reading the messages from people to the Cambridge United Twitter announcement.

Comment

Fucking awful. It's meaningless, but the current League 2 table (especially the teams at top and bottom of it) feels quite righteous today

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
            I don't tend to believe in eye for an eye, or wishing ill on anyone, but this is one of those times when I hope the thugs who did this to this poor man get their comeuppance one day.
            I don't think it;s unreasonable to hope that murderers get put away for murder

Comment

Indeed. Trash should be put away permanently.

I remember seeing the DIY SOS episode that involved his story: I know these things can occasionally be a bit cloying but that was genuinely moving.

RIP indeed. I hope his family will see proper justice some day.

Comment

Indeed

RIP, and thanks for posting Paul.

Comment

Senseless.

RIP Simon.

Comment

The Liverpool Echo headline was "Liverpool FC fan Simon Dobbin who was battered by hooligans dies" which is terrible on several fronts.

Comment

The poor bloke and his family. So sad. Thanks Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Fucking awful. It's meaningless, but the current League 2 table (especially the teams at top and bottom of it) feels quite righteous today
                        I hadn't noticed that and yes it does seem rather appropriate.

Comment

RIP Simon. I hope that the club can create some kind of permanent memorial that will also remind people of the absolute stupidity of so-called football related violence.

Comment

A heart breaking story and a reminder that even today, that kind of thing could happen to any of us. RIP Simon

Comment

One of the scum who did this was recalled to prison for a violent assault. To save time they should just throw away the key now.

Comment

I hope WSC cover this in an article. We need people to know what happened and also for people to realise that football hooliganism has no place in the beautiful game.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                  I hope WSC cover this in an article. We need people to know what happened and also for people to realise that football hooliganism has no place in the beautiful game.
                                  Perhaps you could submit something Paul?

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...urder-southend

5 people arrested on suspicion of murder.

Comment

Working...
                                    X