Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arsenal's sidelined player - is there a thread already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arsenal's sidelined player - is there a thread already?

With apologies for my technical incompetence in being unable to post with diacritics such as umlauts, has there been any discussion of the recent falling out between Ozil and the Arse? What's going on exactly?

I mean, obviously I'll never be a supporter of MO now that he has chosen Erdogan as best man at his wedding, but I assume that Arsenal are being beastly to him for reasons wholly unconnected with that. Is it just because he has become a bit rubbish at football, or is it, as I suspect, a case of the heartless bastards who own and run the club taking their revenge on him for showing them up when he offered to pay the wages of the low-paid staff they were sacking?

None of us can post diacritics

Comment

I must be imagining things, I thought I'd seen someone manage it. In fact, I think I have done myself, by copying and pasting from a webpage which displayed them. Unless I'm misunderstanding you ursus?

Edit: yes, on the first page of the French Open thread I posted the name "Iga Świątek".
      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 21-10-2020, 16:24.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...t-reciprocated

Comment

There are some obscure marks that look somewhat like common diacriticals but have much higher Unicode values and were therefore not effected by the hack.

Copying and pasting text has never worked for me. Images and the like are obviously a different story.

Comment

Oh, I see, thanks Sporting, so it's because he wouldn't join other player in accepting a pay cut?

Comment

I think it is more than just that.

They clearly want his salary off the books and are uncomfortable with his public statements

Comment

He also spoke out against Chinese treatment of the Uyghurs and Arsenal were threatened with reprisals.

Comment

Agree the Erdogan endorsement and wedding was shit.

Comment

He played 10 consecutive games after the Chinese fuss, and was in a couple of squads after refusing the pay cut. He's simply fallen out with Arteta, like he previously fell out with Liungberg, and Emery before that and even Wenger a couple of times before that.

One gets the feeling he's a bit of a dick, and the club are quite rightly no longer putting up with his ego writing cheques that his body can't cash.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                      One gets the feeling he's a bit of a dick, and the club are quite rightly no longer putting up with his ego writing cheques that his body can't cash.
                      Yeah. Agree with this. He's been busted, he lost his qualifications as section leader three times, put in hack twice by Arteta, with a history of high speed passes over five air control towers, and one admiral's daughter.

Comment

He is playing a blinder from the sidelines. Although it is only making it more certain he will never play for Arsenal again, calling the club out on dreadful public relations errors by offering to cover the people's wages is 100% the best way to appear, given the position he is in.

Whether his heart is in it or he is just taking the opportunity to snark on his employer - we are unlikely to know until his biography (and then we won't know either because it will certainly paint a picture of a woke Ozil).

Comment

It’s a lovely example of how screwed up top level football is that they are paying a guy around 23 million quid to not play for them.

Comment

It showed just how ingrained the idea of him as a luxury player became that even when stats showed that he covered as much or even more ground in a game than the majority of his team-mates, he was still seen as lazy.

At least Arteta said yesterday that he felt that he was the one who had failed Ozil, so it seems that not everyone at Arsenal is on the same page on this.

Comment

What happened about his offer to pay Gunnersaurus's wages?

Comment

Working...
                              X