X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Bury Triumphed In English Football's Worst Yr

Whittaker wrote:
    Originally posted by Rogin Chorzow
    I even remember sports like basketball, and hockey, enjoying unprecedented (and never repeated) levels of interest, the former seeing English clubs being televised on national TV for the first time, the latter leading to Britain winning an Olympic gold medal in '88. I wasn't into Rugby League at the time (still not, really) but I wouldn't mind betting gates were high there, too - certainly this was about the time Wigan started turning into the Man United of RL.
    I'm too young (just) to properly remember the late Eighties, but even in the mid-to-late Nineties, I remember ITV showing domestic basketball, regular televised domestic ice hockey, and the papers having news about speedway and greyhounds. I also remember reading an article about field hockey being so popular that there was talk of a professional league backed by television. We'll regret this football monoculture one day.
    "This", and the (much) earlier post it was replying to. Possibly worth a thread of its own rather than distracting from Giggler's efforts, but just to pick up on an earlier point, Wigan RL averaged around 10,000 in 1985 and average around 14,000 now. In between they peaked in around 1990 and again in 2012 with 16,000 averages. Different factors going on behind those numbers though.

Comment

Wishing you well with this, giggler. It has been obviously a real labour of love and I'm really impressed you made it from pie in the sky to real, actual book. Great website too.

I have no tales of being out on the lash with Bury players but I did witness Craig Madden's debut goal for West Brom at the Hawthorns. The first of ...[checks Wikipedia] 3. I think you had his best years.

Comment

Jon wrote: Wishing you well with this, giggler. It has been obviously a real labour of love and I'm really impressed you made it from pie in the sky to real, actual book. Great website too.

I have no tales of being out on the lash with Bury players but I did witness Craig Madden's debut goal for West Brom at the Hawthorns. The first of ...[checks Wikipedia] 3. I think you had his best years.
        More than 130 goals for Bury might just suggest so. Thanks for your extremely kind words, Jon.

Comment

I have to say, it is a genuinely fascinating story. The title says it all and the fact they did it with just 15 players is a feat that will never be repeated. Kind of hoping I get it in my stocking at Christmas!

Comment

Paul S wrote: Kind of hoping I get it in my stocking at Christmas!
            Funny, because during your long years of trolling we always hoped you'd put a sock in it.

Comment

Now available on Kindle if you find yourself at a loose end over Christmas. Just £7.99.

http://amzn.to/1NNprvd

Comment

Piece about The Forgotten Fifteen in the national press, Monday's edition of the Independent - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/bury-fc-a-reminder-of-when-simple-football-was-able-to-shout-louder-than-the-money-men-a6794921.html

Comment

Dragging it back up, kicking and screaming, as it's reviewed in the mag here.

I followed the advice from earlier in the thread about having an alternate narrative on what was happening in the wider world, but it's cited as 'irrelevant padding' here.

Still, I'll take being called 'a skilful and entertaining writer'.

Comment

I will never tire of reading about the Bucks Fizz coach crash, so that could never be irrelevant padding for me.

I'll be buying it, let me know if I can get it directly from you rather than leeches like Amazon.

Comment

Mr Beast wrote: I will never tire of reading about the Bucks Fizz coach crash, so that could never be irrelevant padding for me.

I'll be buying it, let me know if I can get it directly from you rather than leeches like Amazon.
                      Thanks Mr B. It's available from its dedicated website, www.theforgottenfifteen.co.uk

Also on there is the in-depth story of how each player was found (Finding the Fifteen - there's bound to be some players on there you remember) and links to Spotify playlists of each month of the 84/85 season.

Comment

I'm taking Trevor Ross to the Bury game tomorrow. Here he is scoring the penalty vs Blackpool which prompted visiting Seasiders to start a demolition job on Gigg Lane, mid-game.

Copies still available to buy at www.theforgottenfifteen.co.uk

Attached files [IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/4919/trevor.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                        X