Frattonising without a bell - matchgoing 16-21 October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frattonising without a bell - matchgoing 16-21 October

My blag for Charlton vs TheLikesofDoncaster last month (as documented in WSC) was so successful, I've been invited back on air for Rovers game at Portsmouth tomorrow.

Looking forward to experiencing Fratton Park with a reasonable view of the pitch and without that bell... and his bell.

Darwen at home, hopefully. Not sure what's happening regarding them travelling from Lancashire to Greater Manchester.

Comment

one of thurso-golspie or bonar bridge-halkirk in the north caledonian league.
      or inverness athletic-nairn u20s followed by second half of loch ness-scourie
      decisions,decisions

Comment

Haringey Borough v Cray Wanderers tomorrow. First 3pm home game for me this season, and I think the Monday evening league games have come to an end. May have to decide between watching Lincoln on iFollow or going to Coles Park from now on.

Comment

Similar dilemma for me. Kennington v FC Elmstead, a new ground at Lydd Town v Forest Hill Park or Brentford v Coventry on iFollow.

I fear idleness might get the better of me.

Comment

A visit to Arundel Castle followed by Arundel v Worthing United in the Southern Combination division one. Looking forward to both immensely. Then I'll try to avoid seeing the Challenge Cup final score until I can watch the game tomorrow evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
              Darwen at home, hopefully. Not sure what's happening regarding them travelling from Lancashire to Greater Manchester.
              I think you should be OK. My understanding is that while fans and viruses aren't allowed to cross county lines, clubs still can for now.

Nothing for me today, we're dragging the kids up a hill. I'm hoping I'll still have options on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post
                one of thurso-golspie or bonar bridge-halkirk in the north caledonian league.
                or inverness athletic-nairn u20s followed by second half of loch ness-scourie
                decisions,decisions
                and bonar bridge-halkirk it was,1-2 and a far better,closer game than i was expecting on a lovely late autumn day in sutherland.along with the official spectators there were about 30 scattered around well back from the confines of the pitch

Comment

Arundel Town 1 Worthing United 2
                  Southern Combination division one

I was looking forward to this game and it's a cracking photo opp of the main stand with the castle behind. The game was a testy affair, but I got chatting to an interesting groundhopper in the first half who told me about a Kingstonian fan who flew to Mauritius to watch them in a friendly, got off the plane, went to the game and then flew home without bothering to spend any time there. Now that's commitment. And also a bit daft.

The early action was all Worthing United and they converted a deserved penalty after a trip on 8 minutes. The Mullets were level on 27 minutes but the niggles and chirping continued and boiled over halfway through the second half as Worthing went down to 10 men and then grabbed the winner on about 80 minutes. In the final minute a home player managed to block his teammate's goal-bound header on the line.

Attendance about 70.

Comment

Great photo

Comment

Photo of the year. Arundel is now on my list of must go to grounds.

Comment

Faversham Town 4-1 Hertford Town
                        8 booked
                        1 sent off
                        Crowd 212
                        Temperature taken before entry to the ground

I went home happy.

Comment

Sheffield and Hallamshire County Senior League Premier Division. Wakefield 3-2 Wombwell Main.

Comment

That's a very large ground for that level. I assume that The Mighty Trin can tell us who usually plays there...

Comment

Comment

Ah, thanks. I assumed that it was Wakefield.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                  That's a very large ground for that level. I assume that The Mighty Trin can tell us who usually plays there...

Post Office Road, home of Featherstone Rovers RLFC.

The irony is that the Wakefield Metropolitan District Council area includes the village of Featherstone, the town of Castleford and the City of Wakefield, so you have an absurd situation where the Fev ground is better than the grounds of the two Super League teams of Castleford and the Mighty Wakefield Trinity (and Fev are in the league below and not wanted in SL by the powers that be due to their village status; a team in France or Toronto being preferable.

Two of those stand roofs came from Scarborough when the McCain Stadium was demolished.

Comment

I went to Haringey Borough v Cray Wanderers yesterday. Cray's white and gold away kit made them slightly resemble deluxe fried eggs. Boro took the lead but failed to capitalise upon further chances, the visitors eventually winning 3-1. Their second and third goals came from sweeping upfield movements that looked good while also suggesting inattentive defending. The crowd was just north of 400, populating all four sides of the ground.

Cray lay claim to being the second oldest football club in the world. How much scrutiny does that bear? I thought Hallam FC were runners up to neighbours Sheffield FC there.

Comment

I know someone on twitter who is Haringey Borough.

Uros Predic - a mate who does some stuff for the cub and so was at our game yesterday said the fake crowd noise in the stadium was really loud - do they have that shit at Fratton?

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                        Haringey Borough v Cray Wanderers tomorrow. First 3pm home game for me this season, and I think the Monday evening league games have come to an end. May have to decide between watching Lincoln on iFollow or going to Coles Park from now on.

Poor result for Borough, Cray thoroughly deserved their win thanks to better finishing. 1-1 at HT, and Borough came out strongly but wasted gilt-edged chances and were twice punished. One from range after a lovely turn and the third from a tight angle. I liked the Cray kit. Nice chevron.

Prior to kick off the Haringey chairman spoke on the PA system to state that someone had come to the previous home games and complained to the police about the social distancing measures in place at Coles Park. The chairman responded by calling that 'a cowardly' approach, going straight to the police rather than bringing it up with club officials, and said that the club were now in danger of playing behind closed doors, or worse 'shut down'. I'm not sure how much of that is true, but nobody likes a grass do they, especially as it sounds like a home supporter complaining. Not sure what the club can do in this situation. They have a one way system in the club house, and arrows around the ground directing supporters, plus regular announcements about keeping your distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Cray lay claim to being the second oldest football club in the world. How much scrutiny does that bear? I thought Hallam FC were runners up to neighbours Sheffield FC there.
                                          I've only seen their claim to be the oldest club in London. Their website says they were formed in 1860 which would make it the same year as Hallam.

Comment

It's an easy thing to claim, harder to prove. Up to a few years ago, Shamrock Rovers were officially formed in 1902, they're gradually inching backwards, and now claim to be formed in 1899,thanks to a single mention allegedly found in a newspaper.

Comment

I was browsing around Cray's history yesterday but can't remember which page the second oldest claim was made on. There can't be much in it anyway.

The Cray number 4's facial protection gave him something of the air of a slasher film villain, as RobW's pictures show.

Comment

Portsmouth 0-1 Doncaster Rovers

Another enjoyable away win for Rovers. Darren Moore shuffled his team around, moving the regular left-back Reece James into midfield, and it worked really well, capped off with James scoring the only goal. After Rovers dominated the opening 35 minutes or so, Portsmouth came back into it, and it wasn't until the 79th minute that Rovers got their goal; a curling effort that I saw James hit, but – owing to having a massive pillar in the eyeline between my seat and the goal at that end – only actually saw it go in the net this morning when watching the highlights back.

At a point in the second-half I thought I was suffering from tinnitus, as I could swear I could hear a ringing noise, and then a thudding noise through my headphones. On leaving the ground i discovered what I'd heard, that guy with the bell, plus another few Portsmouth fans including one with a drum, had been following the game from just outside the stadium with a load of cans on the go.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                  Uros Predic - a mate who does some stuff for the cub and so was at our game yesterday said the fake crowd noise in the stadium was really loud - do they have that shit at Fratton?
                                                  No, no fake noise in the stadium thank God, just the aforementioned actual noise creeping in from outside. Had it confirmed yesterday that I'm down to do Rovers game at AFC Wimbledon's new stadium, so hope they do away with it when they move into their own ground.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X