Another match abandoned due to homophobic abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another match abandoned due to homophobic abuse

Seems like Landon Donovan and his San Diego Loyal may have started something with their recent walk-off after one of their players (Collin Martin, currently I believe the world's only openly gay player at pro level) copped for some homophobic abuse from an opponent. Shipham AFC took the same action in an 'A' team game with Portishead this weekend. Obviously an extremely low-level match, but, small ripples...

https://twitter.com/PortisheadTown/status/1314972424144855040?s=20

All good stuff.

Comment

The player shoud be named and shamed.......

Comment

Portishead put another tweet out later complaining about a witch hunt and people acting as judge and jury on Twitter, so I think it probably is out there somewhere.

Comment

I don’t think naming and shaming is actually all that helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            I don’t think naming and shaming is actually all that helpful.
            I would agree. Witch hunts never serve anybody particularly well. Far better to open a constructive dialogue if possible.

Comment

Well, they should at least be given a chance to apologize personally, etc. But if it’s proven that they said these things, they should be suspended for a few games.

Comment

I think it should be more than just 'a few games', personally.

This nonsense has gone unpunished for far too long.

Comment

Four or five, perhaps.

Comment

The ban should be for at least 2-3 months for any kind of bigoted abuse. Any repeat offence should be an entire season, and if the offence comes from the same club then there should be a points deduction. If football authorities are serious about it then punishments should reflect this.

Comment

The guy responsible for the one in the San Diego game the other week got 6 games.

Comment

Footballing sanctions over here are a matter of public record.

Comment

Isn't it illegal to shout homophobic abuse? Technically it's a hate crime, isn't it. Could a club press charges against a fan if that fan has been identified?

Comment

Censoring bigots doesn’t make them not bigots. Banning them from the ground should suffice.

Comment

Have I missed something, why are we talking about fans when the abuse is alleged to have come from a player?

Comment

I’m more inclined to forgive a player. They all say shit in the heat of the game because they’re angry or want to make their opponent angry. They may see the error of that when they calm down and change their ways.

Fans don’t usually have that excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  Censoring bigots doesn’t make them not bigots. Banning them from the ground should suffice.
                                  It does stop their bigoted acts, though. So that's good. Make racists afraid again, and all that.

Comment

It doesn’t, though. It just moves them somewhere else, where they can find other bigots that also believe they’re being unfairly persecuted for standing up for traditional values or whatever the fuck.

We shouldn’t think cracking down on this sort of thing has done much to improve society has a whole.

Shame is just not an effective tool for social change. I used to think it was, but have been convinced by experts and evidence that it is not. It just drives the problem underground where it festers for a while ans then reappears as the Proud Boys or Brexit or fucking Trump.

Of course, getting it out of football grounds is a fine goal anyway, so banning these people makes sense. The most important reason to do it is to make the game more appealing to people in marginalized groups, which improves the atmosphere at the games, and in strictly mercenary terms, making football matches more welcoming to them is just smart business.

I think that’s a major reason why MLS clubs have been relatively progressive on these issues. They can see that women, immigrants and LGBTQ+ people have not been especially well “served” by the more established sports, so this is a market opportunity.

I do think people deserve a chance to repent. Sometimes words we’ve heard over and over just come out of our head for no good reason. Like, a few years ago, I called something stupid “retarded.” I knew I was wrong by the time the “ed” was in the air. Worse, I said it in front of my friend who is a school psychologist. Ugh. I have no idea why that happened. But I learned.

Comment

I'm concerning myself much less with the effect on the bigot, and more with the effects on the victims of bigotry. Making bigots afraid to spread their bigotry is an excellent thing. It works for their victims. It doesn't do anything miraculous for the bigot, but that's not its purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Isn't it illegal to shout homophobic abuse? Technically it's a hate crime, isn't it. Could a club press charges against a fan if that fan has been identified?
                                        It's certainly a hate "incident", and so is reportable, so really that should apply to players as well as fans (I guess like when John Terry found himself with some lame explaining to do in his racism case). When it becomes a crime is a little less clear, so I'm not sure what level of action would be taken by the legal system in cases of verbal insults only. Lengthy bans for players has to become the norm though.

But as DCI Harry Batt says, anything that can be done to stop people being overtly abusive is a good thing, at least as a first step. It'd be nice to be able to hold my husband's hand in public without being concerned about the potential consequences (and we don't do that nearly as much as we used to given how unfriendly the world seems to have become in the last couple of years).

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                          I'm concerning myself much less with the effect on the bigot, and more with the effects on the victims of bigotry. Making bigots afraid to spread their bigotry is an excellent thing. It works for their victims. It doesn't do anything miraculous for the bigot, but that's not its purpose.
                                          I agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                            . It'd be nice to be able to hold my husband's hand in public without being concerned about the potential consequences (and we don't do that nearly as much as we used to given how unfriendly the world seems to have become in the last couple of years).
                                            This made me feel sad

Comment

Seconded. The sign of a sick society.

Comment

And thirded.

Comment

Yeah that's shit, Jobi1 , I'm really sorry to hear that.

I've always been lucky - and I know that luck is to a large extent determined by my privilege. And I know that things aren't always easy in the way that many likes to pretend.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X