Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    When West Ham and the Tory government are criticising your plans, essentially, from the 'left', anyone who thinks this is a positive development ought to stop and have words with themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
    Thank you for the comments, all.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Parry is essentially selling the EFL to the Premier League. This isn't Premier League 2, it's Premier League 2, 3 & 4.

I just don't see what the role is for the EFL as a body in this brave new world. The Premier League will have decided its constitution, all the TV money will end up in one pot, and even the League Cup will have gone.

Give this five years, and they'll seal some sort of "merger", Sky/BSB style. Then all bets will be off.
    A single unified league with separate divisions?

Whoda thunk?

(but not merit based promotions and relgations, I'd guess)

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    "against league 3" keeping a spreadsheet with updates on latest declared positions (twitter)

https://mobile.twitter.com/againstleague3

Leave a comment:

• My Name Is Ian
    replied
    The battle lines seem to be calcifying with the Rest Of The Top Six (plus hangers-on) no better than neutral, the rest of the Premier League and most of the Championship largely aghast, and League One & Two kind of split, with your 'entrepreneurial' types (Vincent, Pilley, et al) in favour and everyone else either against or saying that they don't have enough information yet. And on top of that, The Times is reporting this morning that the FA might even have remembered that they are regulators and might yet put the kibosh on it themselves.

I don't think it gets anywhere near the votes in anything like its present form. If they haven't even persuaded all of the anointed nine, I can't see where they get 14 Premier League clubs to vote for it. And it's very clear that the voting rights issue has been seen through straight away as being the biggest single issue, though they should also be looking very closely at the change to TV rights distribution as well, and I remain deeply suspicious of the plans for changes to the loan system, too.

​​​

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    I see the BBC are quoting the Orient chairman as being in favour (the always popular Dale Vince from Forest Green also gets mentioned as a proponent).

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    There are some definite echos with what is happening to baseball, except that in baseball, what is happening now is a just mopping up. Major League Baseball conquered all other levels of baseball decades ago. It’s made major league owners and players richer, but it’s made the game far more susceptible to being overtaken by other, shinier sports.

I’ve always thought that maybe English football is an example of what baseball could have been if that hadn’t been allowed to happen. But it looks like it’s going to happen to English football anyway.

Leave a comment:

• My Name Is Ian
    replied
    Thank you for the comments, all.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Parry is essentially selling the EFL to the Premier League. This isn't Premier League 2, it's Premier League 2, 3 & 4.

I just don't see what the role is for the EFL as a body in this brave new world. The Premier League will have decided its constitution, all the TV money will end up in one pot, and even the League Cup will have gone.

Give this five years, and they'll seal some sort of "merger", Sky/BSB style. Then all bets will be off.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    I'm sure that the idea of Liverpool and Man Utd leaving the Premier League will be looked upon in horror by the other clubs and not as an opportunity to get into the CL places.

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    Also they're getting rid of parachute payments so that'll be another few hundred millions kicking about.

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    So someone is saying that Parry has told Liverpool and United to quite the Prem and join the EFL if their proposals are rejected.
    Do EFL clubs not get a vote on whether or not to accept them? Or has Parry got a blank cheque to do whatever the fuck he wants on behalf of everyone in the league?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I think that it is the result of "combined Premier League and Football League revenues" not being equal to the sum of "Premier League revenues" and "Football League revenues" (i.e., a significant volume of Premier League revenues are ringfenced from the sum of which 25% is being earmarked).

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I'm sure I've seen someone else say that too, but 2 of 20 can't be 25%. Is it maybe some other number?

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    (The 25% is fuck all, mind, anyway)
    It’s also the sum total of money due to places 19 and 20, which they are looking to drop anyway.

Truly an astonishing coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    A "West Ham source" has said they knew nothing of it and
    the big six are using Covid for a power grab. If this goes through, over time they will just use more and more for themselves.
    Per BBC website.

Leave a comment:

• Crystal Staples
    replied
    Originally posted by ale View Post

Missed the first season & had a couple of one season stays in Division 2. In terms of Premier seasons the top 9 are

29-Arsenal Chelsea Everton Liverpool Man Utd Spurs
    26-Villa & NUFC
    25-West Ham

I guess the omission of Man City rules out that being the basis of selection. There is method in their madness. Even if it is madness.
    Funny thing is they could actually use that basis if they wanted City in it but not Newcastle or West Ham, if they just start counting from 1888, not 1992. Not that anyone involved would think to do that.

Southampton have had the 27th most top flight seasons, and are on course to take Preston's place in the 'Big 26' if they can remain in until 2024/25 (and if North End don't go up in the meantime)

Leave a comment:

• DPDPDPDP
    replied
    It could be worse boys. You could be in Scotland. For changes made to the Scottish Premiership needs an 11-1 majority! So anything (virtually everything), that Rangers and Celtic don’t like has no chance of being approved.

Leave a comment:

• gt3
    replied
    Cheers ua

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    From Adam Crafton in The Athletic

As things stand, any change to Premier League regulations requires 14 votes or more under a one-member, one-vote system. Yet Premier League clubs were further incensed by suggestions that Parry had encouraged leading top-flight clubs to simply resign from the top flight and join the EFL in the event they lost the vote.

Parry, remarkably, refused to comment on this allegation during a hastily-organised press conference on Sunday and several sources admitted that the nuclear option of breaking away from the Premier League is possible in “extraordinary times”. Due to ongoing contractual obligations, this would leave leading clubs such as Liverpool and United open to legal action from their Premier League rivals. Neither club were prepared to comment on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• gt3
    replied
    So someone is saying that Parry has told Liverpool and United to quite the Prem and join the EFL if their proposals are rejected.
    Got a source for this TT?

Leave a comment:

• 1974ddr
    replied
    Enjoyed Ian's piece on this, but when he referred to the 'two and a quarter' relegation places and wondered how long the 'quarter' would last, I found myself wondering how long the two would last as well...

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I've seen that reported in multiple outlets, and Parry and the clubs are refusing to comment, so I believe it is true.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Martin Calladine has written this, which I like:

Now, sensible people are going to urge you not to overreact. We need to explore the details of the plan, they will say, and see how negotiations develop.

Nope.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Beast
    replied
    Rick Parry is an arsehole and always has been. He is quoted as saying 'They [big PL clubs] are frustrated that they get outvoted ... how can Huddersfield have the same vote as Man United?'

The slimy fucker's job is to represent Huddersfield.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    (The 25% is fuck all, mind, anyway)

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I know. It's really odd.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X