The latest plans to destroy football in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
    Who are the fans you're asking about? These decisions are not made with you or me in mind; they follow the TV money coming from the hordes of armchair fans emerging in Asia. Would they find it boring?
    That's a valid question. Presumably they're taking notice of the growing trend among younger and certain overseas demographics to 'follow' individual superstar players rather than clubs per se, and how the arrival of one of said cohort of players at a given team can bring its own fanbase with it – c.f. James Rodriguez at Everton right now. So in their minds' eye, the permanent collecting-together of the biggest-name and most marketable players at a cluster of the biggest-name and most marketable clubs, only ever playing each other, creates an endless glittering galactico-fest that these developing fanbases will fall over themselves to fork out great piles of cash to watch for the rest of time.

As ale and Walt Flanagans Dog have eloquently pointed out above, though, creating self-reinforcing elites or closed shops won't magically make every fixture the biggest and best and most lucrative thing ever. The sticking point that the prospective Superleaguers have never seemed to appreciate is that when the elite only ever face each other, not only does it become mundane – as already witnessed in how dull it is to have them meeting routinely in European competition every season, compared with how much more rare and thrilling it was in the pre-Champions League era – but also, by definition, not everyone can remain top dogs. You can't have an entire pack made up of alphas. I don't see how even Real Madrid v Barcelona, say, can retain its cachet if they're fighting it out for 4th and 5th spot in Season X of the MegaUltraDuperLeague behind, say, Bayern, PSG and Man City.

As the saying goes, stuff yer superleague.
    Last edited by Various Artist; 11-10-2020, 23:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
      ​​​​​​My Name Is Ian has wasted no time at all. Excellent article on 200%.
      That is really superb. Thanks Ian.

Comment

I never imagined that in a situation with Oliver Dowden on one side and David Conn the other, I'd be on Dowden's side.

Comment

Given the DCMS statement, here's a suggestion for Oliver Dowden.

Let the Government bail out the EFL and National League and recoup the money with a windfall tax on the Premier League.

Comment

My Southampton supporting friends are trying to say "Yeah, well, as one of the established Big Nine..," while keeping a straight face, but they can't manage it.

Comment

Southampton: a late period Judge Dredd novelty single

Comment

David Conn's article is odd because it assumes you can detach the 25% payment to the EFL from the destructive bulk of the package, as if the main motive of the proposers is to help the EFL.

Comment

I know. It's really odd.

Comment

(The 25% is fuck all, mind, anyway)

Comment

Rick Parry is an arsehole and always has been. He is quoted as saying 'They [big PL clubs] are frustrated that they get outvoted ... how can Huddersfield have the same vote as Man United?'

The slimy fucker's job is to represent Huddersfield.

Comment

Martin Calladine has written this, which I like:

Now, sensible people are going to urge you not to overreact. We need to explore the details of the plan, they will say, and see how negotiations develop.

Nope.

Comment

So someone is saying that Parry has told Liverpool and United to quite the Prem and join the EFL if their proposals are rejected.

Comment

I've seen that reported in multiple outlets, and Parry and the clubs are refusing to comment, so I believe it is true.

Comment

Enjoyed Ian's piece on this, but when he referred to the 'two and a quarter' relegation places and wondered how long the 'quarter' would last, I found myself wondering how long the two would last as well...

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                So someone is saying that Parry has told Liverpool and United to quite the Prem and join the EFL if their proposals are rejected.
                                Got a source for this TT?

Comment

From Adam Crafton in The Athletic

As things stand, any change to Premier League regulations requires 14 votes or more under a one-member, one-vote system. Yet Premier League clubs were further incensed by suggestions that Parry had encouraged leading top-flight clubs to simply resign from the top flight and join the EFL in the event they lost the vote.

Parry, remarkably, refused to comment on this allegation during a hastily-organised press conference on Sunday and several sources admitted that the nuclear option of breaking away from the Premier League is possible in “extraordinary times”. Due to ongoing contractual obligations, this would leave leading clubs such as Liverpool and United open to legal action from their Premier League rivals. Neither club were prepared to comment on Sunday.

Comment

Cheers ua

Comment

It could be worse boys. You could be in Scotland. For changes made to the Scottish Premiership needs an 11-1 majority! So anything (virtually everything), that Rangers and Celtic don’t like has no chance of being approved.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Missed the first season & had a couple of one season stays in Division 2. In terms of Premier seasons the top 9 are

29-Arsenal Chelsea Everton Liverpool Man Utd Spurs
                                        26-Villa & NUFC
                                        25-West Ham

I guess the omission of Man City rules out that being the basis of selection. There is method in their madness. Even if it is madness.
                                        Funny thing is they could actually use that basis if they wanted City in it but not Newcastle or West Ham, if they just start counting from 1888, not 1992. Not that anyone involved would think to do that.

Southampton have had the 27th most top flight seasons, and are on course to take Preston's place in the 'Big 26' if they can remain in until 2024/25 (and if North End don't go up in the meantime)

Comment

A "West Ham source" has said they knew nothing of it and
                                          the big six are using Covid for a power grab. If this goes through, over time they will just use more and more for themselves.
                                          Per BBC website.

Comment

(The 25% is fuck all, mind, anyway)
                                            It’s also the sum total of money due to places 19 and 20, which they are looking to drop anyway.

Truly an astonishing coincidence.

Comment

I'm sure I've seen someone else say that too, but 2 of 20 can't be 25%. Is it maybe some other number?

Comment

I think that it is the result of "combined Premier League and Football League revenues" not being equal to the sum of "Premier League revenues" and "Football League revenues" (i.e., a significant volume of Premier League revenues are ringfenced from the sum of which 25% is being earmarked).

Comment

Also they're getting rid of parachute payments so that'll be another few hundred millions kicking about.

Do EFL clubs not get a vote on whether or not to accept them? Or has Parry got a blank cheque to do whatever the fuck he wants on behalf of everyone in the league?

Comment

I'm sure that the idea of Liverpool and Man Utd leaving the Premier League will be looked upon in horror by the other clubs and not as an opportunity to get into the CL places.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X