No announcement yet.

The latest plans to destroy football in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know about you lot but I can't wait for that summer Premier League tournament.

Comment

So how do they get the other 11 to agree to cut their own throats?

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
        Don't know about you lot but I can't wait for that summer Premier League tournament.
        At least Game 39 is dead.

Be Game 35 now.

Comment

They don't need unanimity, do they?

Comment

I think they need 14, so 9 + 5 (see full text, 4th paragraph above).

Comment

This is a marvellous piece of gaslighting:

"Under proposals for the new model of distribution of television revenue in the Premier League, Fenway, the driving force behind the document, insist there would be no greater share for the top six. Their stated aim is to eliminate the huge gap in earnings between Premier League and EFL clubs while in return having a greater control of the decisions made by the Premier League."

I think I'm done with the EPL if/when this succeeds.

Comment

If Rick Parry supports it, that tells you all you need to know.

Comment

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1315323276135202816

Comment

Rick Parry - a strategic plant at the EFL?

When he turned up, I remember wondering 'What the fuck is he doing there'?

I confess I also thought that at least he couldn't be worse than Shaun Harvey.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Can they dictate to the EFL how many clubs they have? Why is it not acceptable to have 25 clubs in the 3rd and 4th tiers, for example?
                      Nor should they dictate to the EFL what knockout tournaments its clubs play in _ if they don't want to take part that's their lookout.

There is obviously lots to hate about this but the "Summer Premier League" (as mentioned already) and more time for pre season friendlies are both depressing choices of priorities.

Comment

I guess the summer tournament is a curtain raiser to replace the charity shield? Probably offering a slightly larger amount to charity to blunt criticism?

Comment

Every single part of this can get all the way to fuck.

There is a darkly amusing aspect to our fucking government throwing shade on a naked power grab at a time of crisis, mind. Presumably they're a bit pissed off at someone appropriating their methods.

Comment

​​​​​​My Name Is Ian has wasted no time at all. Excellent article on 200%.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                              I guess the summer tournament is a curtain raiser to replace the charity shield? Probably offering a slightly larger amount to charity to blunt criticism?
                              If they are defining "good causes" as "including the FA" then I don't think raising money for actual charities is in their plans. Sounds more like they are pissed off at the promoters of the "International Champions Series" or whatever it is called now getting a slice of the action, and would expect the Summer tournament to extend invitations to the clubs that they are also intent on playing more frequently in the Champions League.

(that last sentence got away from me a bit but I knew what I meant).

Comment

How many fans will actually watch this? Seeing the same teams playing each other week in week out is very boring and I can't see how this will generate the millions they think it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  Who are the other three of the nine? Everton and who?
                                  Southampton & West Ham. Based on unbroken tenure in Premier since 2012/13 being the only assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                    Aston Villa? Newcastle (even though they've been out of it three times)?
                                    Missed the first season & had a couple of one season stays in Division 2. In terms of Premier seasons the top 9 are

29-Arsenal Chelsea Everton Liverpool Man Utd Spurs
                                    26-Villa & NUFC
                                    25-West Ham

I guess the omission of Man City rules out that being the basis of selection. There is method in their madness. Even if it is madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                      How many fans will actually watch this? Seeing the same teams playing each other week in week out is very boring and I can't see how this will generate the millions they think it will.
                                      This has been drawn up by the two clubs with American owners. Where the whole concept of the NBA and MLB is that once you get past that tedious "league season" bit, fans actually want to watch the same two teams play each other 5, 6 or even 7 times on the trot in end of season playoffs.

Comment

This has always puzzled me about European League break aways. Selecting 20 clubs from richest Leagues still means only 3 or 4 are going to be chasing the main title. So 15 or so clubs going to be going half a season or more with nothing to play for-on reasonable assumption relegation wont be built in. And there will be no historical rivalries or local derbies to raise enthusiasm. Still less opportunities to travel away en masse. Could be wrong but how attractive for say 14th place is Man Utd v Lyon going to be (insert own teams)

Comment

Before I posted earlier I wrote a para on this being the Trojan horse for feeder clubs/EPL-B, which I deleted thinking it a bit tinfoil hat and melodramatic. Later, listening to 5Live for the Wales commentary, the collected pundits, reporters and presenters lined up to give the whole project a collective kicking* which quite surprised me given how awestruck they usually are in the presence of greatness (defined as English club in Champions League). One pundit (missed who) started talking about teams like Bolton having to accept de facto feeder club status to survive if this was to all go through.

Four loan players from one EPL club -> 'special relationship'; then when it becomes 5 or 6 players, maybe some sort of exclusivity becomes part of the deal. "And as we're generously paying big chunk of their wages, maybe we should decide when and whether they play."

*I would however point out to Clinton Morrison(I think?) who said "No-one wants the League Cup" that he might recall how important a bit of a run in the League cup is to lower league clubs like Colchester and Exeter where he wound up.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Can they dictate to the EFL how many clubs they have? Why is it not acceptable to have 25 clubs in the 3rd and 4th tiers, for example?
                                            The PL and EFL are completely separate entities. You have to resign from one in order to join the other. So they could, in theory, kicks clubs out of the PL and force the EFL to take them on because there is nowhere else to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

This has always puzzled me about European League break aways. Selecting 20 clubs from richest Leagues still means only 3 or 4 are going to be chasing the main title. So 15 or so clubs going to be going half a season or more with nothing to play for-on reasonable assumption relegation wont be built in. And there will be no historical rivalries or local derbies to raise enthusiasm. Still less opportunities to travel away en masse. Could be wrong but how attractive for say 14th place is Man Utd v Lyon going to be (insert own teams)
                                              There is also the issue that has been pointed out before (on here maybe, or in the magazine itself) that the big clubs need to maintain some sort of status of glory to continue to attract fans (or maintain the ones they have, in the global "market"). If you're even the 4th or 5th ranked Premier League club you won a lot more games than you lose - joining a breakaway European league could well mean becoming permanent bottom-halfers, losing more than you win. Hence the big clubs need the smaller English clubs as cannon fodder to build their image of invincibility.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                                Four loan players from one EPL club -> 'special relationship'; then when it becomes 5 or 6 players, maybe some sort of exclusivity becomes part of the deal. "And as we're generously paying big chunk of their wages, maybe we should decide when and whether they play."
                                                As far as I understand it (from loan dealings Carlisle have had in recent years) there is a bit of that going on already, but implicitly rather than explicitly.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

There is also the issue that has been pointed out before (on here maybe, or in the magazine itself) that the big clubs need to maintain some sort of status of glory to continue to attract fans (or maintain the ones they have, in the global "market"). If you're even the 4th or 5th ranked Premier League club you won a lot more games than you lose - joining a breakaway European league could well mean becoming permanent bottom-halfers, losing more than you win. Hence the big clubs need the smaller English clubs as cannon fodder to build their image of invincibility.
                                                  Reasons to keep twenty clubs and the League Cup, you'd think.

The lower eleven should be breaking away.

Comment

Who are the fans you're asking about? These decisions are not made with you or me in mind; they follow the TV money coming from the hordes of armchair fans emerging in Asia. Would they find it boring?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X